Who's in - Who's out

HawkGA

Reaction score
DomeHawk":28roc2zt said:
You know the funny part of this is that we went away from the "subjective" rankings that determined NC's before the playoff system and we're still right there.

.....the more things change, the more they stay the same

There was an early version of the BCS that put a lot of weight on strength of schedule. But they tinkered with the formula every year and made it worse. But I liked the early versions of the BCS.

HawkGA

Reaction score
justafan":3koqhwon said:
What I would like to see is 5 play 6,7 play 8 and 9 play 10 and so on but Utah will get some 3rd rate team in some scrub bowl. Let them play an Alabama or Penn State. Let Oregon play Georgia or Florida. See where the they stack up.

This is what I would like too. The conference tie-ins and every conference wanting to make sure they are included is what screws this up.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
justafan":3hi4iehk said:
Im fine with four teams. The unique thing about college football is every week really is a championship week. Every team in the top conferences have had a whole season to earn a playoff berth. I dont need to see Memphis play Ohio state. Or Baylor play LSU.

What I would like to see is 5 play 6,7 play 8 and 9 play 10 and so on but Utah will get some 3rd rate team in some scrub bowl. Let them play an Alabama or Penn State. Let Oregon play Georgia or Florida. See where the they stack up.
Not quite as they are going to the Alamo Bowl, still a 2nd tier bowl though.. HOWEVER, who cares one iota about seeing Virginia in the Orange Bowl? Answer: no one outside that state. Utah would've been a far better choice. Virginia is ranked freaking 24th!!

I love your idea of 5 vs. 6, 7 vs. 8 and so on. The traditional bowl game system has been dismantled anyway, let's change it up totally for the sake of the matchups you described. The only downside would be the Committee playing past and loose with the rankings but it would still be better than a shitty Virginia team in the Orange Bowl.