Why didn't Reid take 1 more shot in regulation?

James in PA

Reaction score
I forget how many seconds were on the clock, but it seems to me they had time for one more quick pass, and if Patrick didn't see anything right away, just throw it out of the back of the end zone and they still would have had 2 to 3 seconds left to kick a field goal. Overtime could've been avoided.

Mizak

Reaction score
Playing it safe. You throw it there and it gets intercepted, media will question Reid’s mindset all year long.

ccla

Reaction score
To give niners fans some hope and then crush them?
Actually, i wondered about that as well.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
Didn't they still have one time out? Technically, they could've ran it.

bigcc

Reaction score
I forget how many seconds were on the clock, but it seems to me they had time for one more quick pass, and if Patrick didn't see anything right away, just throw it out of the back of the end zone and they still would have had 2 to 3 seconds left to kick a field goal. Overtime could've been avoided.
6 seconds wasn't enough time.

Unlikely you're going to throw a td, and risk a false start, holding, catch inbounds, etc.

Wasn't the point of the call, but 6 seconds is enough to fall on the ball and call timeout on a bad snap on the kick (nearly cost them one already earlier on the line drive kick).

I obviously have the benefit of hindsight, but it really was the right call. Too risky.

seahawks08

Reaction score
In a compressed field, 6 seconds is too less to try getting a score. Both teams are well coached, the initial reads are mostly gone and bam bam plays are never guaranteed. Seasoned coaches make great decisions. It was a perfect call to take the points and stay alive.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I agree with the consensus. 6 seconds is cutting it a little too close. Take the points and play for overtime. The offense had begun to click, and they were guaranteed at least one possession in OT, so if I'm the Chiefs, I'd feel pretty good about my chances.

Last edited:

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Especially cause as good as Mahomes is he's been known to try and do too much. If he runs around and extends the play they could have run out of time.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Especially cause as good as Mahomes is he's been known to try and do too much. If he runs around and extends the play they could have run out of time.
Absolutely, the Mahomes version of "Hero Ball" is a risk. Also higher than usual risk of a pick in that area with all the bodies.

Torc

Reaction score
Also the center had been snapping low all game long. A snap that Mahomes has to chase could burn the clock with little chance of completing a pass. Definitely take the safe points there.

OP
OP
James in PA

James in PA

Reaction score
Also the center had been snapping low all game long. A snap that Mahomes has to chase could burn the clock with little chance of completing a pass. Definitely take the safe points there.
Careful. That's Creed Humphrey you're talking about. He's like a God in these here parts.