The last 30 or more seconds of OT

Cyrus12

Reaction score
It's first down Chiefs within a few yards of the goal line and Reid literally let's the clock tick down to 8 seconds before running a play. It worked but had it not they have time to kick a fg with 3 seconds left to tie. Can one of you x and o guys explain it. A timeout buys at least one more shot at a td.

BASF

Reaction score
Taking a timeout allows the Niners to sub and get their defense set while the Chiefs had them on their heels.

sutz

Reaction score
I believe it's like a new game, and had the clock wound down it would have just been like the end of any quarter. Switch ends and keep going.
Except they needed to at least kick the FG to tie it back up. If they didn't do that before the clock ran out they lose.

Bryce84

Reaction score
Yep, new game starts, would have rolled into a new quarter. Both teams get a full chance to possess the ball in the new overtime playoff (or is it only Super Bowl? can't remember) rules. Chiefs had until the end of their possession, however long it took, to turn it over on downs or int/fumble and lose, kick a FG and keep the game going, or win like they did with a touchdown.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Clock running out in playoff OT doesn't end the game. Each team gets to run a drive to completion
This is how they explained it.

I read this morning that many Niner players had no clue the OT rules were different until they were in it. The chiefs on the other hand had discussed it and strategized what they would do in multiple scenarios. Apparently they had a plan in place if the Niners had scored 7 on their opening drive they’d go for 2 to win it. Obviously that wasn’t necessary but it just goes to show that you can’t be too prepared for a game like this.

RiverDog

Reaction score
In the playoffs, the game clock is completely irrelevant in overtime, especially in a dome where there is no advantage as to which goal to defend. They are going to play until they get a winner. A quarter ends, they go to commercial break, switch sides, and keep on truck'in.

Raifers

Reaction score
Yea the commentators said it was only the end of the quarter.

Jac

Reaction score
Yea the commentators said it was only the end of the quarter.
Romo made a point of it right before that play was run. It was news to me at the time because I felt that clock ticking.