Why didn't Wilson play last night??

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Your paying to show up and watch a glorified practice, and your favorite players may or may not actually participate. I'm sorry nobody informed you of this ahead of time.

pehawk

Reaction score
Chawker":1eo90nfy said:
The water boy always comes off the bench, you know... after he talks with momma! He'll deliver the H2O!

What?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
pehawk":t1tclhwa said:
Chawker":t1tclhwa said:
The water boy always comes off the bench, you know... after he talks with momma! He'll deliver the H2O!

What?

What pehawk doesn't know won't hurt her.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'd be fine if Wilson didn't play a single preseason snap. There's plenty of time in practice to evaluate his chemistry with the various receivers. IMO the main benefit of real contact in preseason games for starters is working on the running game anyway.

RiverDog

Reaction score
AgentDib":53n1zjrj said:
I'd be fine if Wilson didn't play a single preseason snap. There's plenty of time in practice to evaluate his chemistry with the various receivers. IMO the main benefit of real contact in preseason games for starters is working on the running game anyway.

I don't think there's been a healthy QB in modern NFL history that hasn't played at least some in the preseason.

Don't kid yourself. Russell needs the work just like any other player.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I suspect he's been getting rather a lot of work this off-season and am not convinced that 10-15 snaps on a Thursday night will noticeably improve his play this season. I also suspect there is a clear trend towards playing starters less in the preseason with each successive year and that what seemed radical a few years ago will be increasingly less so until the rules get reworked.

The best argument I can see for playing Russ is gaining better evaluations of the receivers but putting him out there for a series or two doesn't go very far in that direction.

Seymour

Reaction score
This is the first year Wilson did not play in the 1st game.

The real reason is there were a couple of olinemen out for the game and they prefer Geno take the pounding.

:snack:

McGruff

Reaction score
Seymour":1laij5xf said:

The real reason is there were a couple of olinemen out for the game and they prefer Geno take the pounding.

I dont find that amusing at all.

sutz

Reaction score
I believe Pete said that Wilson will play some in the next two games, at least.

And yeah, some work in the pre-season is good for most everybody.

RiverDog

Reaction score
AgentDib":1c7cxvf8 said:
I suspect he's been getting rather a lot of work this off-season and am not convinced that 10-15 snaps on a Thursday night will noticeably improve his play this season. I also suspect there is a clear trend towards playing starters less in the preseason with each successive year and that what seemed radical a few years ago will be increasingly less so until the rules get reworked.

The best argument I can see for playing Russ is gaining better evaluations of the receivers but putting him out there for a series or two doesn't go very far in that direction.

Not getting 10-15 snaps on a Thursday night isn't how I understood your argument. I thought you were arguing that you didn't care if he didn't take a snap the entire preseason.

Russell needs the work just like the entire offense needs the work. It can't always be simulated in practice. They need to get used to communicating with each other, form an intuition or comfort with each other, communicate with each other. Just the flow of information to the huddle and organization on the sidelines needs to be worked on or we'll be wasting timeouts because we don't have the right personnel on the field, or worse, commit a game changing turnover because a player wasn't on the same page as the quarterback.

Smellyman

Reaction score
RiverDog":1h30xumu said:
AgentDib":1h30xumu said:

I don't think there's been a healthy QB in modern NFL history that hasn't played at least some in the preseason.

Don't kid yourself. Russell needs the work just like any other player.

Jared Goff didn't last year.

Seymour

Reaction score
McGruff":pun49grv said:
Seymour":pun49grv said:

Excellent!

It wasn't posted for your amusement. It was posted as fact.

Really though, you starting this up again??

160623theq

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Seymour":2e0dyzti said:
McGruff":2e0dyzti said:
Seymour":2e0dyzti said:

Excellent!

It was posted as your opinion. No facts were involved.

McGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, Pete was pretty clear why Wilson didnt start, and it had nothing to do with putting an already injured Geno Smith out there as a purposeful punching bag for the opponent.

It was to get extended looks at both backups.

But hey, what are facts in an age #fakenews, where we pick and choose what to embrace, what to reject, and what to flat out fabricate according to what fits our own predetermined narrative?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":252e5sm8 said:
Russell needs the work just like the entire offense needs the work. It can't always be simulated in practice. They need to get used to communicating with each other, form an intuition or comfort with each other, communicate with each other. Just the flow of information to the huddle and organization on the sidelines needs to be worked on or we'll be wasting timeouts because we don't have the right personnel on the field, or worse, commit a game changing turnover because a player wasn't on the same page as the quarterback.

It's a new trend in the NFL, mainly due to the recent injury and training data analytics that teams like the Rams, Patriots, etc use to manage and monitor their starters during camp, pre-season and throughout the regular season.

The Rams rested just about every starter last year during pre-season, and proceeded to go 8-0 to start the season.

So this is more Pete changing his tune on wanting to see his starters play a lot during the pre-season. Sure some of the starters still need the work, and certain units will play more (DB's, D-line, WR's, special teams).

I'm not worried about Russell's reps during meaningless pre-season games. He's an eight year vet, takes 99% of the starter snaps in camp and is one of the most prepared QB's in the league when it comes to the mental and physical side of the game.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":xiwg3urn said:
Seymour":xiwg3urn said:
McGruff":xiwg3urn said:
Seymour":xiwg3urn said:

Excellent!

It was posted as your opinion. No facts were involved

There actually are facts behind it as well as common sense that you do not expose your $35M QB with backup lineman going against the #1 Dlinemen.

But I chose not to present the facts as I assumed the common sense would be good enough for any reasonable person. The unreasonable I couldn't care less less about. That seems to be the real issue here.

Seymour

Reaction score
McGruff":1jfsqjko said:
Yeah, Pete was pretty clear why Wilson didnt start, and it had nothing to do with putting an already injured Geno Smith out there as a purposeful punching bag for the opponent.

It was to get extended looks at both backups.

But hey, what are facts in an age #fakenews, where we pick and choose what to embrace, what to reject, and what to flat out fabricate according to what fits our own predetermined narrative?

LOL. What do you expect Pete to say? We don't want Russell to get pounded with backup Olineman in because we don't trust them to protect our investment??

"Pete said" is one of the worst reasons someone could give as "fact" in this case!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Seymour":317lv30g said:
Sarlacc83":317lv30g said:
Seymour":317lv30g said:
McGruff":317lv30g said:

Excellent!

It was posted as your opinion. No facts were involved

There actually are facts behind it as well as common sense that you do not expose your $35M QB with backup lineman going against the #1 Dlinemen.

But I chose not to present the facts as I assumed the common sense would be good enough for any reasonable person. The unreasonable I couldn't care less less about. That seems to be the real issue here.

You continue to use the word facts like they're equivalent to opinions. But throwing in common sense was a good way to further prove that you're wrong due to your complete and total lack of evidence.

But hey, I suppose following your logic above, we should hold out Russell Wilson in the regular season, too, if there are backups in.