Why Do Opposing Fans Hate Pete Carroll?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
49ers":1lj14ic4 said:
twisted_steel2":1lj14ic4 said:
49ers":1lj14ic4 said:
Then he leaves USC right when they start to get investigated?
See, you're already wrong. :34853_doh:
I think you're splitting hairs. This is what many people remember most about him, whether it's 100% accurate or not.

The question was asked, I was just giving an honest response.

Still, in a way you just admitted that you based an emotional response on information you knew to be inaccurate. Kinda silly way to form opinions, right?

49ers

Reaction score
Scottemojo":24olbzpt said:
Still, in a way you just admitted that you based an emotional response on information you knew to be inaccurate. Kinda silly way to form opinions, right?
I know it to be inaccurate today, but didn't know it was wrong at the time. Most people you ask right now never bothered to get it right, and that's where a lot of the hate comes from.

I don't think Pete really cares, though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
49ers":x7rsdcxw said:
Scottemojo":x7rsdcxw said:
I know it to be inaccurate today, but didn't know it was wrong at the time. Most people you ask right now never bothered to get it right, and that's where a lot of the hate comes from.

I don't think Pete really cares, though.

I think Pete actually revels a little in some of the hate. What can I say, the man has an ego. So what? Name me a great coach or player, and he's got an ego...........and that ego can sometimes result in smugness, or in Harbaugh's case coming off like an impersonal douche.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Who gives a damn what other fans think...Pete was just voted by PLAYERS as the coach they would most like to play for.

sc85sis

Reaction score
49ers":2iha0zlf said:
I personally hated Pete when he was with the Jets.

Then he leaves USC right when they start to get investigated? Just added to the hate a little more.

I actually like him more these days. He sometimes gives off that "rah-rah" characteristic, which is a bit off-putting, but it's only because he's happy for the success of his own players.

The only head coach I didn't like was Schwartz. He had no control over his team and they acted like idiots. The rest are OK by me.
USC had already been under investigation for over three years when Pete left. It's not his fault that the Seahawks came along when they did and offered him everything he'd said he'd ever want if he were to go back to the NFL.

sc85sis

Reaction score
rideaducati":1xrk62un said:
Who gives a damn what other fans think...Pete was just voted by PLAYERS as the coach they would most like to play for.
He was? Where'd you see that?

Interesting because he was voted the same on at least one occasion while he was at USC.

Ampedhawk

Reaction score
HawkStar3":2veq3qzm said:
They claim he cheats (peds and paying Reggie)
They claim he is arrogant (the way he chews gum?)

Bottom line though, he wins.
Yes, the arrogant way he chews his gum is what I hear all the time! Packer fans are too stupid to come up with anything better.

rjas77

Reaction score
Why do other teams fans hate our coach?

I Don't know.....

I Don't care...

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Plain and simple, simple and plain--everbody else in the league hates PC because he kicks their god damn ass. He chews gum in their face while he kicks their god damn ass. While he kicks their god damn ass he cheats--they wish they could cheat like PC. PC is doing what every other coach in the pros and college wish they could do: Kick everyones' god damn ass.

drdiags

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":2qzg1b3w said:
Donn2390":2qzg1b3w said:
The answer is really easy. I live in So Calif and became a Seahawk fan when Pete left USC to frolic in the rain. Everyone in the NW hated the hire, and hated Pete.

Not totally true. I'm a UW fan, native NWesterner, and Seahawk fan as long as there have been Seahawks, and I loved the hire.

Doesn't help his narrative. As much despair the team was in leading up to Ruskell's resignation and Mora's firing, a total reset was required. Some wanted Holmgren, one even dropped the team to follow Holmgren to Cleveland, but I am with you. I wanted him to succeed to shut up the national guys and our local radio jerks the first 2.5 years.

Maybe it seemed like everyone to Mr. ImnKognito? I figured Pete would bring the nasty on defense and he has. If it makes iminKognito, I felt just as much pain from the constant barrage of stupid stuff being said nationally and locally by pot stirrers. Makes for higher ratings to bash on a common issue and just follow along with the same line of thinking. (See last year's topic by national/local media and rival fans of how much hot water Pete was in if he follows up two 7-9 seasons with another losing season. Shoot me!)

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
I think it is a mix of several things.... starts with people judging Pete's integrity based on internet and sports network soundbites and inflammatory articles, coupled with jumping to conclusions about rampant drug use based on more internet misinformation and blog posting, stir in a little jealousy of his success and a little shock from our player's in your face athleticism and Sherman's right-on-the-money smack talk, sprinkled with a little ignorance of what he is all about and his coaching ability, (and the fact he can chew gum and kicks ass on game day)...and you get the typical misinformed perception of the coach we know to be the best we have ever had.

We love you Pete, thanks for getting us to where we are (and my respect also to John S, Paul A and the rest of the front office/team).

ceej22

Reaction score
There were many Seahawk fans who hated him 4 years ago as well or for that matter up until Wilson started doing his thing. IMO he is hated because...

1) he looks better than most of us and he is 30 yrs older
2) he is in better shape than most of us
3) he is always smiling while the rest of us b*tch about our 9-5
4) USC
5) he is always chewing gum like a teenage girl
6) he is not a traditional NFL hard nose coach

-The Glove-

Reaction score
I didn't like the hire because of his past failures in the league (I know I know). After he came in and cleaned house though, I knew he was the right man for the job. It showed he had a plan and was not afraid to execute it

BleedGreenNblue

Reaction score
pmedic920":pm7gq4ki said:
If you ask me, I'd tell you that I think the vast majority of it stems from a very poor understanding of what did or didn't happen at USC, and their perception of PC's role in it.
And.
As others have said, his success.
I hate the SEC. Not for any real reason other than, I'm an old Pac10 fan.
Yea people live off of headlines. Rarely does anyone look into facts. GOD FORBID

253hawk

Reaction score
ceej22":nvzjkdq9 said:
1) he looks better than most of us and he is 30 yrs older
2) he is in better shape than most of us

I think he was 56 when this was taken...not bad for an old dude.

swm791s.jpg

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":30c3g3u4 said:
Plain and simple, simple and plain--everbody else in the league hates PC because he kicks their god damn ass. He chews gum in their face while he kicks their god damn ass. While he kicks their god damn ass he cheats--they wish they could cheat like PC. PC is doing what every other coach in the pros and college wish they could do: Kick everyones' god damn ass.

I think you nailed it. Opposing fans hate Carroll so much because he kicks everyone's ass AND can chew gum at the same time. :mrgreen: 8)

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
If I was a fan of a team getting their ass kicked while the coach displayed joy I would hate it too. Nobody cared about Carroll until he started winning and the hate was there long before he left for the NFL. People talk about hating him because he left USC before sanctions, but it was well known that PC would take the NFL job if the owner let him run the team. Before the Hawks offer, Carroll turned down the Niners offer because they wouldn't give him what he wanted.

He knew how to run a team and NE/NYJ screwed him over, he was smart to wait for the right gig. PC is no joke, this guy takes the business seriously and he is determined to field a competitive team regardless of situation. It is so sweet that he is here.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
rideaducati":1xnodna0 said:
His players LOVE PC--he has a reputation as a players' coach going back to the beginning.

sc85sis

Reaction score