Why Do Opposing Fans Hate Pete Carroll?

InPeteITrust

Reaction score
First, let me say hello and it is a pleasure being a member and posting my first comments. I too live in LA and have been a fan of Pete since the hire at USC. I instantly became a fan of the Seahawks when he and some of his former staff went to Seattle. I rarely have had time to join/post since my job has me on the move a lot, but again I'm really pleased to be a part of this.

There are many things that have been posted here that are accurate. One dimension of Pete that I don't believe I read (I may have missed it) is leadership. Pete is a true leader, and his philosophies and disciplines are from much studying and reading of other thought, behavior and performance leaders. I believe haters tend to get distracted by the looks, gum chewing, confidence, history etc. and bring that baggage into their hate thought. But if they would truly take time to listen to his words and phrasing and the discipline of Win Forever they could possibly change their minds. I actually use some of Pete's disciplines in my own business leadership and they work well. Also, Pete has learned from Bill Walsh and other impressive football personnel, some of which are favorites of the people who throw their hate toward Pete.

The core of Pete can be seen in this 60 Minutes piece on him from 2008: Pete 60 Minutes . It is a brilliant piece and is an example why Pete became so popular and valuable in the Los Angeles area. Pete said consistently during his time at USC that he would only leave for the NFL if a unique location, ownership and managing model came about (i.e. West Coast or reasonable climate, strong owner, decision making influence/control). It did, with good timing for Pete, with the Seahawks.

As far as the NCAA issues, it is very accurate that much of the case against USC was sketchy. The NCAA's inconsistent behavior and penalties on other teams is proof of how subjective and frankly embarrassing that organization has become. The NCAA wanted to make an example and used USC for it. That said, I don't think Athletic Director Mike Garrett helped USC's cause with his indifference and arrogance toward the NCAA during the proceedings.

I'm planning on getting to my first game next weekend at the NFC Championship game. I know tickets will be hard to get but, hey, this is when the positive thinking and believing in winning comes in handy! Hope to be able to meet some of you.

sc85sis

Reaction score
InPeteITrust":3jt5apen said:
First, let me say hello and it is a pleasure being a member and posting my first comments. I too live in LA and have been a fan of Pete since the hire at USC. I instantly became a fan of the Seahawks when he and some of his former staff went to Seattle. I rarely have had time to join/post since my job has me on the move a lot, but again I'm really pleased to be a part of this.

There are many things that have been posted here that are accurate. One dimension of Pete that I don't believe I read (I may have missed it) is leadership. Pete is a true leader, and his philosophies and disciplines are from much studying and reading of other thought, behavior and performance leaders. I believe haters tend to get distracted by the looks, gum chewing, confidence, history etc. and bring that baggage into their hate thought. But if they would truly take time to listen to his words and phrasing and the discipline of Win Forever they could possibly change their minds. I actually use some of Pete's disciplines in my own business leadership and they work well. Also, Pete has learned from Bill Walsh and other impressive football personnel, some of which are favorites of the people who throw their hate toward Pete.

The core of Pete can be seen in this 60 Minutes piece on him from 2008: Pete 60 Minutes . It is a brilliant piece and is an example why Pete became so popular and valuable in the Los Angeles area. Pete said consistently during his time at USC that he would only leave for the NFL if a unique location, ownership and managing model came about (i.e. West Coast or reasonable climate, strong owner, decision making influence/control). It did, with good timing for Pete, with the Seahawks.

As far as the NCAA issues, it is very accurate that much of the case against USC was sketchy. The NCAA's inconsistent behavior and penalties on other teams is proof of how subjective and frankly embarrassing that organization has become. The NCAA wanted to make an example and used USC for it. That said, Athletic Director Mike Garrett did not help USC's cause with his indifference and arrogance toward the NCAA during the proceedings.

I'm planning on getting to my first game next weekend at the NFC Championship game. I know tickets will be hard to get but, hey, this is when the positive thinking and believing in winning comes in handy! Hope to be able to meet some of you.
Welcome! Nice to have another USCHawk fan in our midst.

InPeteITrust

Reaction score
sc85sis":32p2657t said:
InPeteITrust":32p2657t said:

As far as the NCAA issues, it is very accurate that much of the case against USC was sketchy. The NCAA's inconsistent behavior and penalties on other teams is proof of how subjective and frankly embarrassing that organization has become. The NCAA wanted to make an example and used USC for it. That said, Athletic Director Mike Garrett did not help USC's cause with his indifference and arrogance toward the NCAA during the proceedings.

Welcome! Nice to have another USCHawk fan in our midst.

Thanks! Good to finally be here...

InPeteITrust

Reaction score
Largent80":1sthul9d said:
Welcome fellow Peteaholic....... :2:

Haha, that is a good way to describe me. I have a You Tube playlist of Pete's Win Forever and other speaking vids ...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I don't mind saying I was wrong about Pete, but my misgivings about his hiring had nothing to do with the NCAA investigation. I could care less what that disfunctional organization 'finds' about teams ever since they derailed Don Jame's program.

My reservations were all about the possibilty of him being Dennis Erickson Pt.2. He was a rah, rah-style 'players coach,' who hadn't had any sustained success in the pros. To me, those were every buzz-word ingredient for a soup sandwhich when it comes to coaching in the NFL.

Further, he stubbornly stuck to the minset of running a pro franchise like he did in college, which didn't help my confidence in him.

Additionally, when he spoke about his players, rather than just explaining what their strengths were, he would spout a bunch of superlatives like 'consummate' this and that 'fantastic' so and so. 'Amazing' yadayada. I could swear I was listening a post-contract-signing smooch fest from a GM.

He really is a different cat, and takes some getting used to. Later on, I could see that there was not much he said that didn't have a purpose. The way he did press conferences was engadging and rapid fire. He said just what he needed to, while swinging his head back and forth like a gattling gun on a turret, stopping at each reporter to home in with a laser lock on that seeming probed for more info than what was in the verbal part of the question. No deer-in-the-headlights stare ala Erickson!

He walks a fine line between empowering his players to reach their physical/mental potential and letting them run the asylum, but he seems very adept and comfortable with that balancing act. He also appears to be very good at reaching young, troubled players.

I'd almost be willing to bet that earlier reports of him and Snider arguing about an issue or two had to do with Snyder wanting to get rid of and/or avoid picking up some uniquely-talented players with checkered pasts that Pete wanted to reach and cultivate.

Bluesbro

Reaction score
First off, I am a 49er fan. Not here to troll or argue. I have perused this forum off and on for some time. My user name is the same as the one I use at the 49er Webzone, so I am not here to carpet bomb with insults looking to get banned ... or hide from anyone with a phony ID.

My experience is the opposite of most here. I liked Carroll during his tenure at USC. My sister works at the university and is a season ticket holder. I got to see many USC games over the years. Him skipping out of town right before the hammer came down will always be a stain, regardless of whether he was 'fully' aware or not. He was the head of the program, but it is hard to believe he didn't know his players were driving Hummers and their parents were living in new houses. That being said, I think all major college programs cheat ... but most hide it better. So his exit right before the program went on suspension will always be an issue with most involved with USC.

Secondly, the many player suspensions since he came to the pros just leaves a bad taste to those outside of the Seahawk sphere of influence. Again, I am sure all pro teams have their cheaters, juicers and recreational drug users. Just saying the sum of things is what has soured me on PC. And I will freely admit, the Seahawk and Carroll success certainly is part of it too.

Good luck today, and hopefully we can continue debating things next week as our clubs prepare for the NFCCG. It just feels like a 3rd meeting is the way it should be.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
49ers":1mv1rw0w said:
twisted_steel2":1mv1rw0w said:
49ers":1mv1rw0w said:
Then he leaves USC right when they start to get investigated?
See, you're already wrong. :34853_doh:
I think you're splitting hairs. This is what many people remember most about him, whether it's 100% accurate or not.

The question was asked, I was just giving an honest response.
Yep, you, like most others that use that same response, have no real knowledge that Pete was in control of all that went on behind the scenes.
Even if he might have known what was happening, what makes people think that it was done with his approval?
Ever speculate as to why he maybe wanted to get away from the crap that went down?

sc85sis

Reaction score
Bluesbro":1hxii1v6 said:
First off, I am a 49er fan. Not here to troll or argue. I have perused this forum off and on for some time. My user name is the same as the one I use at the 49er Webzone, so I am not here to carpet bomb with insults looking to get banned ... or hide from anyone with a phony ID.

My experience is the opposite of most here. I liked Carroll during his tenure at USC. My sister works at the university and is a season ticket holder. I got to see many USC games over the years. Him skipping out of town right before the hammer came down will always be a stain, regardless of whether he was 'fully' aware or not. He was the head of the program, but it is hard to believe he didn't know his players were driving Hummers and their parents were living in new houses. That being said, I think all major college programs cheat ... but most hide it better. So his exit right before the program went on suspension will always be an issue with most involved with USC.

Secondly, the many player suspensions since he came to the pros just leaves a bad taste to those outside of the Seahawk sphere of influence. Again, I am sure all pro teams have their cheaters, juicers and recreational drug users. Just saying the sum of things is what has soured me on PC. And I will freely admit, the Seahawk and Carroll success certainly is part of it too.

Good luck today, and hopefully we can continue debating things next week as our clubs prepare for the NFCCG. It just feels like a 3rd meeting is the way it should be.
Pete did not skip out and Reggie and co. went to great lengths to ensure no one at USC knew what was going down.