Why does everyone suddenly think corner was not a need?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Guys, Mike Jackson is not a starting boundary corner on a championship defense.

This was a need. Moreover, position need hardly matters when your entire defense is lacking talent. Take the player you think is the best!

Devon Witherspoon is a cocky player with dynamite in his hits. Seattle doesn't just need that talent, Seattle needs that attitude.

Do you remember just how much the LOB helped the pass rush get home?

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
so no confidence in Brown?
I LIKE Brown, but I can't count on a mid rounder fighting for playing time off of a really significant injury to elevate the team. If he works out, he's great depth.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think people also devalue what an Uber talented defensive backfield do for your pass rush. I really like this guy and I think he can really improve our defense.

I also think we may have hoped to trade back a few spaces to pick him up which would explain waiting 9 minutes to make the selection.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think most think it wasn’t our most pressing need

You can’t always fill your most pressing need first. If you have a plan you want to fill your needs with top talent but you have to look at the value you receive. They obviously believe this kid is a real talent and I agree with them. I’m excited to see him play this year.

pmedic920

Reaction score
You can’t always fill your most pressing need first. If you have a plan you want to fill your needs with top talent but you have to look at the value you receive. They obviously believe this kid is a real talent and I agree with them. I’m excited to see him play this year.
I get it.

And I’m not mad at the pick.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Yes we do rock. We have another pick. That is not normal.
LOL

Fade

Reaction score
Corners can be found later in the draft, you don't need to spend the #5 pick in the draft to fill a need at CB. The Seahawks know this better than anyone.

My take away is they really really loved Witherspoon to spend such a high pick on him.

I like the pick from this aspect. When Sherm was in his prime, I really wanted them to spend a 1st rounder on a CB because they wouldn't throw to Sherm's side and it minimized Sherm's impact. This was already happening with Woolen. 2 elite CBs is HUGE if Witherspoon is the truth.

balakoth

Reaction score
I think people also devalue what an Uber talented defensive backfield do for your pass rush. I really like this guy and I think he can really improve our defense.

I also think we may have hoped to trade back a few spaces to pick him up which would explain waiting 9 minutes to make the selection.
Im right there with you on the 9 min.. i was saying yep. We are trading back.. then couldnt get the deal done and took someone that fits our schema

hoxrox

Reaction score
Need or not, was he the BPA at #5?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Tarik was so good that it felt like "ok, we can just deal with absolute garbage play on the other side".

I understand the sentiment, but you guys... Witherspoon I think is generational. Carter might be too though, so I'm a bit conflicted.

JPatera76

Reaction score
This pick stunned me. Until my brother In law in all his bears gear goes, “ son of a b…., Woolen AND HIM??.. And Sherm helped/mentored Woolen last yr and will probably do both Witherspoon and Woolen this year, Y’all got Two Potential Richard Sherman level talents on the field at the same time for cheap!!!” Me “oh hey .. holy hell yessssss LOVE THIS PICK!”

It has me pretty excited tbh. I know people want to get to the QB asap and sack him. Buttttttt Now they’ve bought their line even more time to do that rather than needing to do it in. 1-2secs (probably generous) now they can do it with a little more room to breathe.

pmedic920

Reaction score
My concern is

Even if the backfield is locked down, you can still lose games if you can’t stop the run.

I’m no X&O expert but I’m sure hoping we can do something about our run D in upcoming rounds