Why does everyone suddenly think corner was not a need?

GGotskill

Reaction score
My concern is

Even if the backfield is locked down, you can still lose games if you can’t stop the run.

I’m no X&O expert but I’m sure hoping we can do something about our run D in upcoming rounds

Big run stuffing NTs/DTs can be had deep into the draft. Dynamic players with huge upside? Only a couple of them in any draft.

This style of drafting is exactly what this team needs (and needed for years). Everyone loved the results last year, but all of a sudden get their panties in a twist when they do it again this year?

Makes me think most people are just regurgitating other people's point of view.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I loved it but maybe I'm biased because Carter was the one guy I didn't want and if he's the next Donald I'm good with it because I think the process to NOT take him was the right approach. They told us over and over they weren't going to waver on character(not driving incident related). Witherspoon loves football and is a leader. His play style and approach seem to be the polar opposite of Carter. I've typically been very critical of their draft stuff but last year and so far this year I think they've killed it and deserve credit.

You can get stout interior guys later in the draft and there are still guys left. It is a bummer though that Carter did have some concerns because he would've been perfect as BPA and position of highest need but they were smart to not force it.

Witherspoon is going to be a star I think and JSN will be too. Best CB/WR in the draft after day 1 is solid.

sutz

Reaction score
I just thought CB was a lesser need than other parts of the squad. I'm good with the pick, looks like a dynamic playmaker.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Big run stuffing NTs/DTs can be had deep into the draft. Dynamic players with huge upside? Only a couple of them in any draft.

This style of drafting is exactly what this team needs (and needed for years). Everyone loved the results last year, but all of a sudden get their panties in a twist when they do it again this year?

I like both players we selected and I’m not mad about the picks.

I’m concerned with how teams have run the ball down our throats, I’m hoping we address the issue

GGotskill

Reaction score
I like both players we selected and I’m not mad about the picks.

I’m concerned with how teams have run the ball down our throats, I’m hoping we address the issue

For sure, PCJS acknowledged they still need DL help. If they goal is grab a run stuffing NT/DT still a number of guys left.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
My concern is

Even if the backfield is locked down, you can still lose games if you can’t stop the run.

I’m no X&O expert but I’m sure hoping we can do something about our run D in upcoming rounds
This guy will help stop the run, even as a corner. He also is good at blowing up screens.
Plus the draft isn’t over. They will likely be getting the run stuffers and DL help today and tomorrow.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
so no confidence in Brown?

Two years and he still hasn't locked down a starting job, at outside or inside CB.

So no, no confidence. Obviously Pete and John feel the same if they just used #5 on another CB.

knownone

Reaction score
I didn't mind the pick. But our secondary was a relative strength last year. And drafting an undersized corner in the top five is a considerable risk.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Guys, Mike Jackson is not a starting boundary corner on a championship defense.

This was a need. Moreover, position need hardly matters when your entire defense is lacking talent. Take the player you think is the best!

Devon Witherspoon is a cocky player with dynamite in his hits. Seattle doesn't just need that talent, Seattle needs that attitude.

Do you remember just how much the LOB helped the pass rush get home?
Big hits are good, solid tackling is better. Too many broken “tackles” last year that were just guys going for hits. LOB laid the big stick on dudes but they were also very solid tacklers.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score

A big difference is that the BPA at each slot lined up well with glaring positions of need. While CB and WR are needed, they aren’t as glaring as some of our holes. Interior linemen on both sides of the ball are glaring and players fitting the bill were available in those spots. The method is the same but the perception isn’t.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
A big difference is that the BPA at each slot lined up well with glaring positions of need. While CB and WR are needed, they aren’t as glaring as some of our holes. Interior linemen on both sides of the ball are glaring and players fitting the bill were available in those spots. The method is the same but the perception isn’t.
How is it that you knew who the BPA was when the Hawks were drafting? Is it because a draft "guru" who has not played, coached, or scouted at a professional level told you who the BPA was?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
How is it that you knew who the BPA was when the Hawks were drafting? Is it because a draft "guru" who has not played, coached, or scouted at a professional level told you who the BPA was?
His armchair told him so. The number of folks here that love the smell of their own farts is amazing.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I don’t know, I didn’t do any draft research even at the couch potato level much less as a pro. i wasn’t implying that. I was just replying to someone else who, laid out the BPA theory, as a possible answer to their question/observation about last year’s draft vs this one. If you actually looked at the conversation rather than just plucking one reply out and acting like you had a gotcha, that’s pretty clear.