Why Don't We Hold Practices With Other Teams?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've wondered this for years now and I have never heard a clear and concise reason for this. Many teams league-wide hold scrimmages or practices during training camp with other teams. The benefits seem obvious. I am sure Pete has his reasons but I have never once heard the media ask him, nor he himself talk about it. Anyone here care to take a stab?

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, most likely it's the distances involved. Not like they can jump on buses and go.

Aircrew

Reaction score
Just my .02, but on top of geographic location being an obstacle, the inevitable brawl(s) are probably a deterrance as well. I lived in Florida for almost 20 years and the Jags, Bucs, Falcons, Panthers and Saints tried it for a few years and there were ALWAYS fights. A dumb injury because of a fist fight at a scrimmage would be enough to sour me on the idea if I were a coach. Hell, we have fights on our own team at practice, lol.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Well I just found out that the Vikings are practicing with the 49ers so there goes the theory it's about distance. The Vikings training camp is in Minnesota and yet they were in CA practicing with the 49ers, soooooo....

🤷‍♂️

notyou

Reaction score
Well I just found out that the Vikings are practicing with the 49ers so there goes the theory it's about distance. The Vikings training camp is in Minnesota and yet they were in CA practicing with the 49ers, soooooo....

🤷‍♂️
I'm sure it's because they are playing each other next.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Perhaps, yet, that has never seemed to be an issue for us. In other words, if the Vikings (or any team for that matter) were coming to town to play a preseason game, they never have held practices with the Seahawks the week leading up to the game.

Honestly, I am not really sure why I give a rip, lol. I guess it's just a basic curiosity.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I've wondered this for years now and I have never heard a clear and concise reason for this. Many teams league-wide hold scrimmages or practices during training camp with other teams. The benefits seem obvious. I am sure Pete has his reasons but I have never once heard the media ask him, nor he himself talk about it. Anyone here care to take a stab?
I just now noticed that Rams are spending the upcoming week with the Bengals.

wow. Is this not weird? Has to be some "feelings" amongst the players.

I went to the Rams/Cowboys camp in 2015. The teams fought - like so bad fighting the third day was canceled.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
It's because we don't want to reveal too much
When Pete was at USC early on, the opener was against Auburn. And Auburn very nicely allowed their spring game to be televised. USC crushed them, and Pete indicated afterward that having film on them was hugely beneficial. USC never ever televised their Spring game and was hyper-sensitive to anyone in the dorms overlooking the practice field possibly filming a scrimmage, especially from a high-rise vantage point. This is why the Seahawks are unlikely to ever participate in Hard Knocks so long as Pete is coach. Not that it will matter much this year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
When Pete was at USC early on, the opener was against Auburn. And Auburn very nicely allowed their spring game to be televised. USC crushed them, and Pete indicated afterward that having film on them was hugely beneficial. USC never ever televised their Spring game and was hyper-sensitive to anyone in the dorms overlooking the practice field possibly filming a scrimmage, especially from a high-rise vantage point. This is why the Seahawks are unlikely to ever participate in Hard Knocks so long as Pete is coach. Not that it will matter much this year.
Yep. He didn’t care if fans attended practice, but he was careful about filming.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Just my .02, but on top of geographic location being an obstacle, the inevitable brawl(s) are probably a deterrance as well. I lived in Florida for almost 20 years and the Jags, Bucs, Falcons, Panthers and Saints tried it for a few years and there were ALWAYS fights. A dumb injury because of a fist fight at a scrimmage would be enough to sour me on the idea if I were a coach. Hell, we have fights on our own team at practice, lol.
This is totally correct.

Just look at a map of the country, then notice how far away from SEA other NFL teams are from us. Those long flights take way from practice time.

The closest team to us is SF that joint practice is never going to happen, nor is one with LAR or AZ. Closest after that is L.V. or LAC.