Why exactly is Max Unger so good?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1tqzjam5 said:
Can someone compare the run game with Unger is in versus when he is out? We seem to struggle with him in the Run game the last few games. I understand we faced tough opposition too. But ... we haven't been good running the ball in critical situations (red zone) and I'm sure the center might have something to do with it.

It's kind of impossible. The center in Seattle's ZBS has so many double team responsibilities, and when you combine that with Sweezy's growing pains, Carpenter's lack of conditioning combined with McQ's constant position switching, and the tackle absences, getting an accurate picture of how the run game has worked with or without someone is tough.

All I can tell you is the all-22 shows Unger having more than his fair share of mistakes, and he has looked to me like his injured arm is a big part of the problem.

Wee-Bey

Reaction score
Unger hasn't been bad at all. Not really sure what everyone else is seeing, but the pass protection picked up immensely once Unger and Okung returned. Our run game has been all off tackle, on purpose, since the Saints game. And rightfully.

Veilside

Reaction score
Just like what people have said, it's a combination of...

1. He made it last year so he has name recognition.
2. He's on the top team in the league so people assume he must be doing good.
3. He plays a position that doesnt show any well known stats so 1 and 2 are really the only factors people use.

Spiderdan

Reaction score
minormillikin said:
90% of it is the cool, memorable name.
If his name was Marion Pantywad, he would have a harder time getting the votes /quote]

He would always be a lock for the Pro Bowl with a name like that. First there's a guy with that name making it in the NFL. Second for an offensive lineman there would be huge marketing slogan opportunities: "no one gets in the backfield with Pantywad in the way" "Pantywad allows no penetration" "the only one who can get around Pantywad is Marshawn Lynch"

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I have wondered if Wilson actually likes his snaps low and right. I first noticed him reaching down and right for the snap several times during the game against San Franciso in the Clink and I wondered if Unger was injured. I observed it in several subsequent games including games when Jeanpierre stepped up at center. He was snapping them to the same point.

I can't remember which game it was, but the commentators even noticed that Jeanpierre was consistently snapping the ball low and right and they postulated that Wilson would be happy to get "his starting center" back.

Anyone else notice this?

- bsd

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
To my untrained eye it does appear Unger's had some issues throughout the season, but it wouldn't surprise me if part of that is because he took on tougher assignment blocking with both tackles out the majority of the season and the guards used to help on the outside more than the interior. At least in pass protection.

kearly

Reaction score
I would be fine with JeanPierre starting the rest of the way, especially now that Unger has added another injury (Pec).

Unger was a stud the previous 1.5 seasons, a stud in the preseason, terrible right off the bat in the regular season and below average in recent weeks. Reeks of injury excuse. I hope I am right.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
bigskydoc":26l3st9u said:
I have wondered if Wilson actually likes his snaps low and right. I first noticed him reaching down and right for the snap several times during the game against San Franciso in the Clink and I wondered if Unger was injured. I observed it in several subsequent games including games when Jeanpierre stepped up at center. He was snapping them to the same point.

I can't remember which game it was, but the commentators even noticed that Jeanpierre was consistently snapping the ball low and right and they postulated that Wilson would be happy to get "his starting center" back.

Anyone else notice this?

- bsd

I don't think any QB's like low snaps. It forces the QB to bring his eyes down. The best shotgun snaps are the ones you don't notice.

The shotgun snap is a finesse move from a 300 lb. man. It's kind of like watching a center try to sink a free throw. Not always as easy as it looks. I played center in college.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
kearly":3uopvwe9 said:
I would be fine with JeanPierre starting the rest of the way, especially now that Unger has added another injury (Pec).

Unger was a stud the previous 1.5 seasons, a stud in the preseason, terrible right off the bat in the regular season and below average in recent weeks. Reeks of injury excuse. I hope I am right.

One of the other downsides of an injury is not being able to lift weights during the season. This is even more important when you play football from July through January.

plyka

Reaction score
Wow so much Unger hate. But I must agree with it. It may be due to our inability to rate centers. How many here really watch and analyze a center's play? We only see it when he makes a mistake --a visible one at that. Low snaps is an obvious example.

All that said, Unger is so tiny, I can't see how he can ever be an awesome Center. I understand Centers are naturally smaller, but it's not like Unger is actually moving Ngata off his spot. I guess it's a relative comparison, there aren't many centers in the league that jump off the page.

Jville

Reaction score
plyka":6cnynryd said:
Wow so much Unger hate. But I must agree with it. It may be due to our inability to rate centers. How many here really watch and analyze a center's play? We only see it when he makes a mistake --a visible one at that. Low snaps is an obvious example.

All that said, Unger is so tiny, I can't see how he can ever be an awesome Center. I understand Centers are naturally smaller, but it's not like Unger is actually moving Ngata off his spot. I guess it's a relative comparison, there aren't many centers in the league that jump off the page.

Your wrong. The only reference made to hate was your post.

Wee-Bey

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2ri08ybg said:
kearly":2ri08ybg said:

One of the other downsides of an injury is not being able to lift weights during the season. This is even more important when you play football from July through January.

Wait, he can't be an awesome center because he's small? He's already an awesome center, and C is generally the smallest position on the line.

kearly

Reaction score
You should probably read what he wrote again.

chris98251

Reaction score
Unger is great at making calls on the line, he has been hurt I think most the season, hand peck and some other stuff, he doesn't have to be big but does need good technique and strength. We have had centers that are smaller and done great work in the past since they can come out of the stance faster and get good leverage under guys. His anchor has to be strong and he needs to be able to extend his arms, that is where I think he is having issues, no strength when he extends because of the pec issues.