Why is our defense so horrific?

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
LTH":71k8kppl said:
Why is our D so horrific?

It's not as bad as you think it is. the defensive starters have played one game together,,, that's it... lets see what happens if they can get through this injury thing and get our starters back and playing consistently together...

LTH

Definitely true for the secondary. I think I read somewhere about the low number of snaps that Griffin, Dunbar, Adams, and Diggs have played together. Well we need Adams to get healthy first but hopefully all 4 of them together will make a difference in the back end.

RCATES

Reaction score
LTH":1pf9vcjl said:

It's not as bad as you think it is. the defensive starters have played one game together,,, that's it... lets see what happens if they can get through this injury thing and get our starters back and playing consistently together...

They are getting pass rush it's just not as consistent as it needs to be... Snacks is going to help out a bunch not that he is a great pass rush guy but because he is going to draw double teams and that's going to leave a good matchup for our linebackers and or an end... also snacks is a fresh body in an overworked rotation so Poona and the guys dont have to carry the load the whole game...

I think if they can just get some more consistent pass rush it's going to really help out the secondary... they are getting better but they are not there yet...

I just think one of the young guys has to step up it's still early the most we can hope for is for the D to improve every week just a bit and by the time the playoffs get here Im thinking they will be good enough to make a run at the SB... they just need time to work it out and maybe JS will find a DE to add..

be patient and enjoy 5-0 its going to work out

LTH

Every team has injuries. We have had maybe 1 to 2 starters out at a time on Defense. Nothing crazy and something all the other 31 teams deal with weekly. No point in sugar coating it. This Defense blows.

RCATES

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3cyqoxb3 said:
LTH":3cyqoxb3 said:

LTH

Definitely true for the secondary. I think I read somewhere about the low number of snaps that Griffin, Dunbar, Adams, and Diggs have played together. Well we need Adams to get healthy first but hopefully all 4 of them together will make a difference in the back end.

We saw that in weeks 1 and 2 and it was every bit as ugly. In fact I think stat wise we were worse those two weeks everyone was healthy lol.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
- no pass rush
- mediocre secondary
- no home crowd to help minimize other team's QB effectiveness and playcalling
- thin depth
- injuries
- refs aren't calling as much holding on O-linemen

That about explains it.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
RCATES":shkdheqw said:
It won't be addressed until we start losing. As long as we're winning most of the local fans and media will ignore how horrific this D has been. Under any other circumstances Norton would be on the hot seat.

Remember when people were screaming for Bevell's head and everyone figured he must be decent still getting into the SB, when in reality it was just the defense was good they were getting there IN SPITE of Bevell. Yeah...now it's flipped.

RCATES

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16777smk said:
- no pass rush
- mediocre secondary
- thin depth
- injuries

That about explains it.

"mediocre secondary"

What's crazy about this is on paper we should have a top 5 secondary. But in weeks 1 and 2 when they were all on the field they were terrible. I still think its coaching and scheme. Nothing will change until a move is made at DC or Pete starts holding his coaches accountable. Unfortunately neither is going to happen.

Teahawks

Reaction score
We're just slow.

As I said in the off-season, we switched from guys like Avril, Bennett, Clark, and Clemons who were like 255-275lbs with speed, who could still hold their own on the edge, to guys that are like 280-300, like Collier, Bullard, and Green, who are more suited for run stopping. QBs don't have to worry about anyone speed rushing off the edge, bending the corner, or slicing through a gap in the middle.

But what about Irvin and Griffin? They're fast! Ah, but they're low level talent wise. Mayowa of all of them seems to have the ideal body type and skills to play the position, but he would be best as a rotational player not a starter.

Our D line is slow, and our D tackles don't push the pocket in pass D. Boils down to speed for me.

LTH

Reaction score
RCATES":2ouymia4 said:
Sgt. Largent":2ouymia4 said:
- no pass rush
- mediocre secondary
- thin depth
- injuries

That about explains it.

"mediocre secondary"

What's crazy about this is on paper we should have a top 5 secondary. But in weeks 1 and 2 when they were all on the field they were terrible. I still think its coaching and scheme. Nothing will change until a move is made at DC or Pete starts holding his coaches accountable. Unfortunately neither is going to happen.

I just think they need to have a more consistent pass rush..especially on 3rd down... they are making plays they just need to get off the field on third down this isn't an impossible thing... Snacks is going to really help... you guys watch and see a bit more pressure on the qb and the opposing team will start making mistakes and the secondary will start to shine... it's so doable... the important thing is the D is getting turnovers this has to continue as long as we win the turnover battle it's going to be ok...

LTH

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I was just thinking to myself that this board needed another thread to re-hash how bad our defense is & to discuss how a team that is 5-0 should fire KN because the first 6 or 7 were getting stale.

I'm sure this 1 will be chock full of brand new information never before seen on this site or any other.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
nwHawk":1l4ddwos said:
Time of possession. Need to control the clock better. I didn't say run, I said control. Dictate the game to your opponent, and quick strike when it's there.

This is why the defense is bad? It's the offense?

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Hockey Guy,

You made a cute attempt to add to the discussion. If you read the thread very little is mentioned about firing Norton.

In fact, my own post to open points out that as terrible as Norton is, it does not explain the historically terrible results.

Given it is the largest issue the Seahawks face and everyone in sports media is openly mocking/ridiculing the Seattle defense...it seems reasonable to ask why. Especially because it looks like the biggest obstacle this team faces this year.

Many people even feel that this team's FO being willing to show an interest in AB highlights an awareness that they will have no choice but to load up on scoring because they know they will not be able to stop anyone. If anything the AB positioning might be an admission that we have to overload on our strength because we might not be able to overcome our weakness otherwise.

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3mp79riq said:
Hockey Guy,

You made a cute attempt to add to the discussion. If you read the thread very little is mentioned about firing Norton.

In fact, my own post to open points out that as terrible as Norton is, it does not explain the historically terrible results.

Given it is the largest issue the Seahawks face and everyone in sports media is openly mocking/ridiculing the Seattle defense...it seems reasonable to ask why. Especially because it looks like the biggest obstacle this team faces this year.

Many people even feel that this team's FO being willing to show an interest in AB highlights an awareness that they will have no choice but to load up on scoring because they know they will not be able to stop anyone. If anything the AB positioning might be an admission that we have to overload on our strength because we might not be able to overcome our weakness otherwise.

"Many people even feel that this team's FO being willing to show an interest in AB highlights an awareness that they will have no choice but to load up on scoring because they know they will not be able to stop anyone."

Thats nothing short of ridiculous... Post a link..

LTH

OP
OP
T

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
LTH,

That is literally the talking point on several talk shows today discussing why the Seahawks would want to bring in someone that might mess up the chemistry of one of the best offenses in the league.

Not sure if there is a 'link' these were interviews.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
LTH":nn1c2vfo said:
"Many people even feel that this team's FO being willing to show an interest in AB highlights an awareness that they will have no choice but to load up on scoring because they know they will not be able to stop anyone."

Thats nothing short of ridiculous... Post a link..

LTH

I'm not "many people" but I've said this myself over the last couple days.

Maybe TH has tapped my phone.

niveky

Reaction score
yes, all teams have injuries and yada yada yada..but that being said, it doesn't make it any less viable that the defense is having all the issues due to that.

so...Blair and Irvin both out in the same game, right..which was the 1st or 2nd game..can't remember off the top of my head.

They had to have been pretty positive about Irvin or they wouldn't have signed him.

Blair...i was already high on his stock with limited play time last year and he was looking to be featured quite a bit more this year by all accounts. He was already laying the lumber last year in his opportunities and I think they valued his overall skill set and wilingness to hit and had a specific role for it in the defense. Dunbar has been in and out of the line up. Rashard Green will not be playing until at least next week as far as I know. Even though Darrell Taylor is a rookie he might have been able to contribute something if not injured. Still unsure if he will contribute anything this season. Mayowa has shown some flashes but if i am not mistaken has been banged up as well. Hill is like the 3rd string safety, right, and he is on ir now too i think. Jamal Adams potentially missing, i believe his 3rd game.

I believe if you look around the league, any other teams with the amount of injury issues comparable on the defensive side to Seattle are probably not doing to hot either. Defenses in general have looked to be behind the curve, looking league wide, but then having to rotate different players in throughout the season because starters/2nd stringers aren't available is not helping them make up for that lost time and gain continuity.

Provided they get their bodies back to be out on the field and they don't suffer any other major injuries I believe through continuity and Pete/Norton analyzing the scheme and ways they can modify it for the pieces they have available to use, I am optimistic we will see improvement. Neal has been a pleasant surprise who i think will continue to improve.

If we cross our fingers enough, maybe Taylor can get well enough to play and provide an unexpected Spark and/or Collier will magically jump to a point in his development where he can be a solid contributor as well but even if those things don't happen i still feel that there will be improvement on that side of the ball.

evergreen

Reaction score
Here’s something new. Ryan Neal. He came off practice squad and has been everywhere. Not only is he being coached up by Kam, he even looked like him when he leveled a dolphin in Miami. Do you not remember our legendary D making nobodies into HOFs? The LOB lost games too. I think Pete knows just a little more than you or I. I’m going with them. You should all be terribly upset since we’re 5-0 and the D made huge plays to win against Minnesota, against Dallas, against New England, and four 4th down stops against Atlanta. Yeah they suck. There is a lot to be positive about. Fire Pete!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
RCATES":zi93mtw6 said:
Sgt. Largent":zi93mtw6 said:
- no pass rush
- mediocre secondary
- thin depth
- injuries

That about explains it.

"mediocre secondary"

That's twice you've said they were "all there in games 1 and 2". Do you not remember Diggs getting kicked out of the game on the Pats first series in game 2? Game 1 is the only 1 they were all together and actually we all right unitl a couple of garbage time TDs.

Chapow

Reaction score
So I guess we'll just make this a weekly thing. You'll start a thread about how this defense is "historically bad", and how this might this might be one of the worst defenses in NFL history, and I'll point out how many teams defenses are giving up more points than our defense this season.

There are 13 defenses in the NFL, right now, this season, that are allowing more points per game than we are. And as I've already said several times so far this season in the weekly "Ehr my gerd our defense is worst evar!!!" threads, yes, I think our defense is bad, but I have a hard time coming to the conclusion that we are worse than the 13 teams that are giving up more points per game than we are.

ArcticGoodnaturedChameleon small

LTH

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":357j8r1o said:
LTH,

That is literally the talking point on several talk shows today discussing why the Seahawks would want to bring in someone that might mess up the chemistry of one of the best offenses in the league.

Not sure if there is a 'link' these were interviews.

Dude the national media as a whole doesn't know squat IMO.... our local guys are pretty good but these shows are just guys flapping their lips trying to gain ratings...

Its obvious why the Hawks would want to bring him here because he is a huge talent and the Hawks are always competing... If they get a chance to bring in a good player they will... sometimes an apple is just an apple...

LTH

TypeSly

Reaction score
LTH":28jyds58 said:

They are getting pass rush it's just not as consistent as it needs to be... Snacks is going to help out a bunch not that he is a great pass rush guy but because he is going to draw double teams and that's going to leave a good matchup for our linebackers and or an end... also snacks is a fresh body in an overworked rotation so Poona and the guys dont have to carry the load the whole game...

I think if they can just get some more consistent pass rush it's going to really help out the secondary... they are getting better but they are not there yet...

I just think one of the young guys has to step up it's still early the most we can hope for is for the D to improve every week just a bit and by the time the playoffs get here Im thinking they will be good enough to make a run at the SB... they just need time to work it out and maybe JS will find a DE to add..

be patient and enjoy 5-0 its going to work out

LTH

I see a lot of Norton bashing, D-line bashing, secondary bashing... I can't pin point it at all. I don't know who's fault it is (even though, I've always leaned towards personnel more than coaching). But I do know this: I'm tired of watching every team we play march down the field at will, especially at important times in the game.
When we're all hoping and cheering for a defensive stop, even if they (our D) look solid on 1st and 2nd downs... sure enough, our opposition will likely convert on 3rd down or vice versa. Whatever the case, it just seems way too easy for the opposition... and it sucks.
Sure it makes for exciting games, but I just feel like if we could just get our D close to a very average NFL standard, we'd be laughing.

Latest posts