Why no Kaepernick designed runs?

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2bbifroa said:
RiverDog":2bbifroa said:
Popeyejones":2bbifroa said:
I think the biggest reason has for some reason gone unmentioned so far:

It has been well over a month since any of the designed runs they've called for him have been effective. As far as last night goes, the lack of designed runs isn't any different than it has been for the 9ers.

As a Hawks fan that probably seems crazy given that Wilson has been continually gashing people on the read/option, but for better or for worse, that just hasn't been part of the 9ers offense any time recently.

For the last long while the vast, vast majority of Kap's rushing yards of late have come through tucking the ball down between the tackles after stepping up in the pocket if everyone is still covered. The Hawks were spying him last night (as they should be) so he wasn't doing that either.

I'm hoping that eventually Kap has an average day for himself against the Hawks, as to date, if Hawks fans are just watching Hawks games, jeez I understand why you guys think he's an absolutely atrocious quarterback who can only run. :lol:

I understand all that. Even so, it is amazing to me that they didn't at least try to get something going by trying to get Kaep out on the edge. He's a dangerous weapon that they didn't even try to exploit, and being behind most of the night with him not throwing the ball well makes their keeping him confined to the stable in a critical game like this very questionable. If I were a Niners fan, I'd be upset.

Yeah, I guess personally I'm just not really upset about it because 1) it hasn't been working anyway, 2) the Hawks were game planning to stop it anyway, and 3) it's way, way down the list of offensive problems/things that worry me about the 9ers offense in its current iteration.

Is he hurt? The reason I ask is because even when he scrambled around it didnt seem like he had the same burst. I know he's a long strider but even with that is seems his suddenness and explosion isnt there.

evergreen

Reaction score
Wilson hardly ran at all either. Coincidence that the #1 & #2 running QBs didn't run against the #1 & #2 defenses? I think we both know how to play the read option.

olyfan63

Reaction score
evergreen":dvotm5rt said:
Wilson hardly ran at all either. Coincidence that the #1 & #2 running QBs didn't run against the #1 & #2 defenses? I think we both know how to play the read option.

Wilson runs more when nothing else is working, or when the game is on the line on potential game-deciding drive.

In the first few post-Percy weeks, Wilson ran a LOT. Now I think he is feeling more comfortable with new TE Moeaki plus TE Luke Willson plus OL protection. Even though AZ got 7 sacks on us, really all but 1 or 2 were on Wilson/OC in failure to make LOS adjustments, or bad play design, or simply Wilson holding the ball too long.

There wasn't much reason for Wilson to run against Niners and when he did, speedy Niner defenders several times caught him from behind, take away about 40 yards of rushing right there. Plus, SF, more than any other team, is ready for RW's running and schemes all week about how to get extra wicked hits in on Russell, right at the edge of the rules.

Latest posts