Why should we dislike the 49ers?

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I've heard our arguments against the 'Niners. Most of them are of an assorted but consistent variety:

"Their coach is a whiner and a prick!"
"Their fans are arrogant, band-wagoners, and/or not knowledgeable!"
"[insert SF player/coach/FO member] is overrated!"
"People think they're better than us and they're not!"
"Their our rivals. We're supposed to dislike them!"

Most of these views are supported with inarguable evidence of sorts but none offer a real answer.

If Harbaugh is indeed a whiner and a prick and these are indeed reasons to dislike someone, why should we dislike the entire organization? If Harbaugh is worth disliking, why not just dislike him and him alone? The same logic applies across the board. If their fans are arrogant or band-wagoners, why not just dislike their fans? If someone says the 49ers are the better team and you truly believe they're wrong, why not just dislike that someone? We've all heard not to throw the baby out with the bathwater but we do so gingerly.

Even the one argument that actually targets the entirety of their organization, the argument about the nature of rivalries, is flawed. Really, who is it that says we're supposed to dislike them? The media, players, coaches, and other fans do. The media has a prerogative to up-sell the sport and provide as much content as their efforts will allow. Rivalries are staple among their arsenal. Players and coaches have a similar prerogative as well as attempting to motivate one another for their upcoming games. For the professionals, rivalries aren't so much a reality as they are a tool for achievement.

Fans buy into the concept because we believe it's real. We think so from our own personal experiences with and interpretations of players, coaches, fans, statistics, and all the other nuances involved in our personal analysis. But those experiences and interpretations have produced the faulty statements I questioned above. We're merely supporting a stance with misinterpreted information which makes the stance faulty by definition. Our communicated understanding of rivalries is wrong!

There is, however, one reason we don't mention and it's probably the sole reason for the fan support of rivalries. Everything about a rivalry, whether its anticipating the highs of victory, talking up our own greatness, belittling the other guy for even the most impractical of reasons, or just simplifying the dislike of a few individuals down to the common denominator that is their team, makes us feel good. To that little part of the brain that makes us feel pleasure, saying "Forty-Whiners" might as well be a Snickers. Shouting "Fluke!" or "The refs are playing for you, huh?" after losing a game that wasn't even close might as well be a game of fetch with the dog. It's all fun and it all feels good but so much else can accomplish these same simple feats.

My question to each of you is why should we dislike the 49ers or any team for that matter over all the other alternatives for our own enjoyment? Why does this phenomenon pique your interest while others do not?

SNDavidson

Reaction score
They are all bad people, every single one of them.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Because two and a half years ago all 49er fans were Raider fans. And we as Seahawk fans, especially us long time fans, know to hate Raider fans more than all others.

And the more real answer, because its fun, and it's part of being a sport fan. It's sport hate, not real hate. At least to me.

drdiags

Reaction score
I believe NinerLifer already asked this question and the responses there will soon be repeated here. Though I must admit the post by Riley12 pretty much seals why.

OP
OP
B

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3tbp84q2 said:
They are a division rival.

So is Arizona but they get more pity more than dislike. So did the 49ers before Harbaugh.

SNDavidson":3tbp84q2 said:
They are all bad people, every single one of them.

Jennifer Garner is a 9er fan. She's a contributor to well over a dozen charities, most of which are centered around helping children.

JSeahawks":3tbp84q2 said:
Because two and a half years ago all 49er fans were Raider fans. And we as Seahawk fans, especially us long time fans, know to hate Raider fans more than all others.

Why not just hate the fans? The team itself has little to do with whatever they've done to be antagonizing.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":2fo3suya said:

JSeahawks":2fo3suya said:

Why not just hate the fans? The team itself has little to do with whatever they've done to be antagonizing.

Because its fun. Because its part of sports. Because sports would be pretty damn boring if you thought all of the opponents were just swell and peachy.

I doubt many here really hate the 49ers individually. Nobody here would be celebrating if Frank Gore broke his neck and was paralyzed. Its just sports hate. Its fun.

OP
OP
B

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
JSeahawks":6ozm98nc said:
Because its fun. Because its part of sports. Because sports would be pretty damn boring if you thought all of the opponents were just swell and peachy.

I doubt many here really hate the 49ers individually. Nobody here would be celebrating if Frank Gore broke his neck and was paralyzed. Its just sports hate. Its fun.

I agree that its fun but there's so much that's fun. Why is sports hate one of your preferred sources for fun? (This was in fact my original question... although it seems my thread title lead people to presume where I was going with this. - everyone so far has responded by answering about what they presumed I was asking).

Zebulon Dak":6ozm98nc said:
Because they are of the devil.

Disliking a team for religious beliefs would be a new trick.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Because every time they mention "5 Golden Rings" a small malnourished baby in Ethiopia dies.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, I have a friend who's a 9ers fan who hates the Seahawks soooooo much and talks sooooooo much trash that he drove me to hate them and their fans and everything they do. It's too late to turn back.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3ou8die7 said:
Honestly, I have a friend who's a 9ers fan who hates the Seahawks soooooo much and talks sooooooo much trash that he drove me to hate them and their fans and everything they do. It's too late to turn back.

You're just blaming your hate on someone else now. I'd bet a donut to a dollar the OP meant to point that out too.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Why question it? This has all the makings of a rivalry a bit unlike the NFL has really ever seen. Two coaches with extensive history, big personalities and arrivals in the NFC West at nearly the same time. Two franchise quarterbacks who emerged at almost the exact same time and who represent the new era of the NFL. The two most feared defenses in the NFL. Gore vs. Lynch. The closeness in both geography and culture between Seattle and San Francisco. Coach's spouse badmouthing the other team. You can't script this stuff.

Just enjoy the mutual disdain. I am.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":kt91k98r said:
Zebulon Dak":kt91k98r said:

You're just blaming your hate on someone else now. I'd bet a donut to a dollar the OP meant to point that out too.

Whatever you say, Doc. My story's legit.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":3tuq6cni said:
400WattHPSHawk":3tuq6cni said:
Zebulon Dak":3tuq6cni said:

Whatever you say, Doc. My story's legit.

Naw man, it's me! 400! Not Diags. Wasn't bustin' yer balls there, actually had your back in a sense. I just don't like using those little yellow dudes.