Why the Hell did Lions trade Tate to Eagles??

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
Its always smart business to move a guy for a pick that you have no intentions on retaining.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3joswht7 said:
Seymour":3joswht7 said:
kidhawk":3joswht7 said:
They are 3-4 and just lost in their house to a Seahawks team that many had written off. I don't blame them for taking a 3rd round pick for a guy they were not likely to keep next year anyway.

Why would they not keep him next year? He is their top receiver and not costing them a true top #1 salary??

Also....they are 1 game out of first in their division??

I told you why, because he's gonna want what Mike Evans and Brandon Cooks just got going into FA next year.........and that's around 15-16M.

Maybe he'd give Detroit a little hometown discount cause he likes it there. But if you're Patricia and Detroit and think you're still 2-3 years away from seriously competing in arguably the toughest division in the league? You grab the 3rd and not get into a cap situation trying to add parts.

Good points.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":3fcq8ebm said:
Sgt. Largent":3fcq8ebm said:
Seymour":3fcq8ebm said:
kidhawk":3fcq8ebm said:
They are 3-4 and just lost in their house to a Seahawks team that many had written off. I don't blame them for taking a 3rd round pick for a guy they were not likely to keep next year anyway.

Why would they not keep him next year? He is their top receiver and not costing them a true top #1 salary??

Also....they are 1 game out of first in their division??

I told you why, because he's gonna want what Mike Evans and Brandon Cooks just got going into FA next year.........and that's around 15-16M.

Maybe he'd give Detroit a little hometown discount cause he likes it there. But if you're Patricia and Detroit and think you're still 2-3 years away from seriously competing in arguably the toughest division in the league? You grab the 3rd and not get into a cap situation trying to add parts.

Good points.

Not really. Both those guys are 25 years old with their best years in front of them. Tate is on the backside and will be 31 when he signs a new (3rd not 2nd) deal. Tate isn't getting over $12M max.

Better comp...this is Baldwins 1st year on his deal. He averages $11.5M. Tate will be around that.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I would have to think this is similar to what Gruden is doing for the Raiders. Matt Patricia wants his team and for whatever reason Tate doesn’t fit. Remember when Pete got here? 250+ transactions. You have to UNload before you REload.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tate's personality may not mesh with Patricia, He is outgoing, out spoken and showboat. Been that way since Michigan. Those types don't fit well in teams and coaches like Belichek and Patricia.