Why the Lack of a Pass Rush?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":36f4t3nj said:
Maybe it's because our opponents have awesome Olines . :D

That's the problem, other than the Saints we haven't even played great O-lines.

Seems like every week we hear "OK, THIS is the week the Hawk's pass rush can get after the QB because we're playing a weak O-line."

Nope.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I chalk it up to a combination of getting up to speed, and being undermanned. Teams getting pressure up front have multiple players creating havoc, usually time with the system and training camps to prepare for the season. We've had none of that going for us. Its been largely Clowney alone, Ziggy came back but is just getting upto speed and is getting better week by week but not fully back to the level he can play at, Reed will help but he'll be a step behind most likely to start... Until all the guys are back and in game shape mentally and physically we are gonna struggle to get consistent pressure but when it all clicks it's going to be trouble for opposing qbs.

THE TABS

Reaction score
cymatica":37v7d1n5 said:
I've always wondered if the defensive scheme and the way teams attack causes this. In 2013, we had a very good secondary and teams still hadn't figured out how to really beat the scheme.

Playing to not get beat deep, while teams dink and dunk short passes, probably makes it way harder for the dline to get home. Also seems like teams have routes that easily find soft spots in the zones which makes it easy on them when coverages aren't mixed up or we run linebackers on receivers. QBs can pull the trigger faster and not be hesitant

In 2013, our scheme was unique and we also had at least four future hall-of-famers in our back seven. In 2014, the league figured out how to properly attack it, and we’ve regressed every year since.

The Tampa 2 is a dinosaur, and the modern day spread offenses eat it alive. We need to rethink our defensive philosophy like we have with our offense. You put your best players in the best situations, and you don’t allow the quarterback to get comfortable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Clowney and Ansah have made a great emphasis in media comments on still warming up to each other, getting in each other's pass lanes, etc.

At some point, this excuse stops being valid. These guys are vets and the season isn't going to wait for them.

I like to think that Reed will provide a middle presence that prevents QB's from stepping up, which is what Baker did all day against us.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Things should get a lot better with Reed coming back. That being said, take the time to replay some of the plays on defense. Clowney gets mugged on almost every play, no call.

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3a8o7pyx said:
Things should get a lot better with Reed coming back. That being said, take the time to replay some of the plays on defense. Clowney gets mugged on almost every play, no call.

Mugging is ok, just no hands to the face or ummm chest......

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
flmmkrz":wxrb6hsa said:
I chalk it up to a combination of getting up to speed, and being undermanned. Teams getting pressure up front have multiple players creating havoc, usually time with the system and training camps to prepare for the season. We've had none of that going for us. Its been largely Clowney alone, Ziggy came back but is just getting upto speed and is getting better week by week but not fully back to the level he can play at, Reed will help but he'll be a step behind most likely to start... Until all the guys are back and in game shape mentally and physically we are gonna struggle to get consistent pressure but when it all clicks it's going to be trouble for opposing qbs.

We're almost halfway through the season, how long do we need to wait for Ansah to do something?

All through camp Pete gushed about how far ahead of schedule Ziggy was, and how great he looked in his rehab and he was on schedule to be ready by week one.

Week three, week four, now we're into week six and the dude's terrible. So bad that Pete's taking snaps away from him.

It's affecting our entire pass rush, because Clowney's getting double teamed or having lineman and RB's shift to his side every snap because there's no threat of Ziggy doing anything.

Dude needs to step up, and step up now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ansah forced and recovered a fumble. We needed all 4 of those turnovers and the blocked punt to win this game. That was a HUGE play in that game.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Clowney is starting to heat up and you can see it coming. He has 14 pressures over the past 3 weeks, and hopefully some of those will start turning into sacks. He's been much much more impactful than the traditional stats would indicate.
PFF has a top 25 pass rush grade on him so far this season.

Ziggy looks slow, but his motor is running really hot. I think he is just getting his legs under him after missing the offseason and September.

D

DomeHawk

The Seahawks' season will go as the pass rush goes. We need sacks. Period.

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
KJR reported today (Tuesday 10/15) we are 26th in the NFL in Sacks after our Cleveland game. Ouch!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
MO Hawk":17d4d7rq said:
KJR reported today (Tuesday 10/15) we are 26th in the NFL in Sacks after our Cleveland game. Ouch!

If you want the whole stat sheet on the pass rush;

The Seahawks are 18th in ESPN's Pass Rush Win Rate (42.6%) and 25th in generating pressure on opposing QBs (23.3%). Only five teams have fewer than their 10 sacks, and three have played one fewer game.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3u1dl7ky said:
MO Hawk":3u1dl7ky said:

If you want the whole stat sheet on the pass rush;

The Seahawks are 18th in ESPN's Pass Rush Win Rate (42.6%) and 25th in generating pressure on opposing QBs (23.3%). Only five teams have fewer than their 10 sacks, and three have played one fewer game.

I remember once upon a time, Joe Nash, Jacob Greene, Jeff Bryant, Rufus Porter, Tez , Fredd Young when we were a feared for our pass rush.

ivotuk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":43e7m8l0 said:
Clowney and Ansah have made a great emphasis in media comments on still warming up to each other, getting in each other's pass lanes, etc.

At some point, this excuse stops being valid. These guys are vets and the season isn't going to wait for them.

I like to think that Reed will provide a middle presence that prevents QB's from stepping up, which is what Baker did all day against us.

There's no excuse making. Pete Carroll said that Cleveland did some self-scouting, and changed their game plan. They were getting the ball out of Baker's hands quickly, and they also ran RPOs. Specifically to slow down the rush.

And it worked, it works for every team, including ours. When Russell was getting hit early on, we went to quick passes.

Pete also said that their strategy was to keep Baker in the pocket, and cover the field. I saw a lot of 3 man rushes, and a LOT of interceptions. Why? Because of Pete's game plan.

Sack statistics do NOT translate to wins. They are helpful, but they are meaningless without context. Our own Cortez Kennedy won DPOY on a 2 win team.

Pete also said that there were mistakes on the kick return for TD, and somebody got out of their "run fit," on the Chubb run.

After Bobby Wagner spoke, things changed with the defense. They went back to disciplined play.

It blows my mind that people complain about a 5 and 1 team because they don't have enough sacks, or pocket pressure by a revamped defensive line 6 weeks in.

There are valid reasons, although some will spin them as "excuses." Clowney no training camp, Ziggy Ansah, returning from major injury.

LTH

Reaction score
It's still early If they don't get it together by the time we play the Niners there is a personnel issue..

LTH

hawks85

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":9lf2mg4f said:
xray":9lf2mg4f said:
Maybe it's because our opponents have awesome Olines . :D

That's the problem, other than the Saints we haven't even played great O-lines.

Seems like every week we hear "OK, THIS is the week the Hawk's pass rush can get after the QB because we're playing a weak O-line."

Nope.
IDK but I'm starting to think the Hawks are doing it on purpose. I mean I get it with not up to speed etc..I think the Hawks are giving us a little here and there showing us the fans what it could or may be look like. We are 5-1 if they are doing that. IDK may be I'm over thinking this.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Few reasons:

1. Ansah is not the rusher he was. Clowney never really was a sack artist. Lack of talent in this particular area at DE leads to poor sack numbers.

2. Clowney is a much more all around DE talent. And really in this regard, he's been pretty outstanding. He's managed to be highly disruptive despite commanding double team focus virtually all game. That means the other three guys aren't carrying their water. And it also accounts for why QJeff is having such a good start to his season since he's benefiting from the focus on Clowney lined up immediately to his left.

3. We've stayed in our base defense a whole lot more this season. It's been a distinct emphasis in these first 6 games. We've been staying in base and blitzing more frequently.

4. Our slot corner personnel has been a problem for us. We didn't have an answer for Coleman leaving. No developmental guy ready to step up. We took guys off the street UFA heap as our answer for our slot coverage. It's been spotty at best to brutal at worst. I believe this liability has directly influenced #3 above.

To be honest, Seattle has never truly valued the slot corner role. Basically throwing 6th and 7th round picks at it constantly, while also not keeping but ONE slot profile CB on the roster. We keep a lot of tall long "Seahawk prototypes", but not many quick/agile slot types.

I don't believe there is just one reason why our pass rush stinks. Consequently, I don't expect to see our pass rush really improve this season either. Seattle's defense is going to be frustrating to watch. Seattle sits comfortably in the 20th to 28th range in the league in things like yards allowed per play, first downs allowed, third downs allowed, Average yards per attempted pass. Basically all of the 'damnit, get off the field and stop letting them march on us' stats. Our eyes are seeing what we in fact are statistically.

But we're good in scoring and getting turnovers. Which of course are the best metrics. We aren't remotely dominant as a defense. Nor are we particularly foreboding. This is going to be a year where Russell has to outscore the other team.

Seattle is going to need to get a solid slot cover man. That role is what limits first down conversions. Then they need to look at upgrading the Ansah position. I think Clowney is definitely worth retaining and even without sack numbers will provide significant passing disruption (we've seen this repeatedly this year). I have no expectation that Collier will factor into the solution. He's basically a much lesser/similar version of Clowney. He's probably more likely to slide into a QJeff role on the interior in subpackages.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":dx4kstae said:
5-1 and you would think this team was 2-4 :lol:

Hell no, but this team is only going as far as it's defense, and specifically pass rush. So we better see some drastic improvement in the pass rush and back end of the defense.