Why the Seattle Seahawks Cannot Wear Throwback Uniforms

NINEster

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2e1scbjs said:
Pandion Haliaetus":2e1scbjs said:
Too many of you livin' in the past... (kind of like 49er fans)

Frankly if any message is clear its that these current Seahawks are Allen's regime, his franchise, this is his empire, what he built, and the change of Uniform have been symbolic of that and as he brought the Seahawks into its new age, an era of success.... he has slowly let the past fade away as such... into the past.

You guys should too.

What utter horse shit.

Some of us can enjoy the present and also appreciate the past. We can also walk and chew gum at the same time.

LOL. :th2thumbs:

When the Niners had their big run of throwbacks in the '90s and '00s they made a very slight modification to paint/decal the middle helmet stripe red as opposed to white as the years went on.

That '94 season it was the traditional helmet with the shadowed numbers and white pants. Eventually the throwbacks started to go back to the gold pants, then the red stripe on the helmet. Even the newer pants were different from the old, and socks too I believe.

Of course a majority of this time was pre-Goodell. I couldn't imagine he would have allowed all of those subtle changes under his regime.

Another team that I'd like to see rock their old school jerseys would be the Giants with their name on the helmet, and white pants. Giants' fans have been clamoring for it a lot as an occasional throwback but for some reason it's not happening for them.

For the record I'd like to see some semblance of a Seahawks throwback, even the ones from a few years ago.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hm, that thing about not being able to wear throwbacks because we have the wolf greys as alternates doesn't sound right.

The Eagles play home games in green, road in white, and they have an alternate black jersey (we just saw it last week). Yet we've seen them go with throwbacks on multiple occasions - the kelly green unis and those hideous yellow/light blue unis.

So what gives?

Basis4day

Reaction score
volsunghawk":23uhnify said:
Hm, that thing about not being able to wear throwbacks because we have the wolf greys as alternates doesn't sound right.

The Eagles play home games in green, road in white, and they have an alternate black jersey (we just saw it last week). Yet we've seen them go with throwbacks on multiple occasions - the kelly green unis and those hideous yellow/light blue unis.

So what gives?

There is a section in the rules where you can get an exemption to the rule by permission from the league for things like 40th anniversaries of your team existing or anniversary of a significant game. Or wearing the same uni as a player whose jersey you are retiring. Things like that. The yellow and blue jersey for the Eagles was a 75th anniversary thing and they only wore them once in 2007. Not sure what the uni rules were then.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
volsunghawk":3pp5zmha said:

So what gives?

I agree, something isn't adding up. I would swear the Steelers have worn those yellow helmets post this rule, and to your point, teams have uni combos that seem to stretch beyond the "accepted ruling". I won't cry ECB, but something smells fishy.

Threedee

Reaction score
I absolutely love our current home uniforms. They look like battle uniforms, and they are awesome. The road whites are pretty sweet, also, but I think they grew on me because of the SB. Don't really like the greys - I merely tolerate them as Aros pointed out. I had to tolerate the ugly lime greens because it was my team. But I would totally love the throwbacks and silver helmets. I am a nostalgic guy with a history degree, for full disclosure.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't get the helmet rule. Why can Green Bay wear a brown helmet with their throwback, but if Seattle chose to go with a throwback, they couldn't have a silver one?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Also, you don't think those in the Seahawks Ring of Honor wouldn't get emotional seeing this Championship-caliber team honoring them wearing those throwbacks that they themselves battled in? Fought, sweated, bled in regardless of the outcome of the game?

That alone is reason to wear them with pride.

Basis4day

Reaction score
rideaducati":1e3rei0t said:
I don't get the helmet rule. Why can Green Bay wear a brown helmet with their throwback, but if Seattle chose to go with a throwback, they couldn't have a silver one?

GB hasn't worn the brown helmets since the rule went into affect. They wear their normal yellow ones with the decal removed.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Aros":3nrmmezo said:
volsunghawk":3nrmmezo said:

So what gives?

I agree, something isn't adding up. I would swear the Steelers have worn those yellow helmets post this rule, and to your point, teams have uni combos that seem to stretch beyond the "accepted ruling". I won't cry ECB, but something smells fishy.

I checked. Steelers have worn black helmets with they're throwbacks since the helmet rule got introduced in 2013 season.

As far as other teams wearing throwbacks check my post about special exemptions. If the Hawks wanted to rock throwbacks they can request an exemption like other teams who don't use a throwback as an alternate.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I'm sure that if and when the league decides to allow a throwbacks (helmets and all), say, once every five years which would be completely separate from the current twice-yearly allowance for alternates, the Seahawks will then do a throwback in the first year when it would make sense. (I do understand some teams [Steelers, Bears...] currently use their throwbacks as their alternates, but allowing this should end if and when a separate allowance for throwbacks every few years is permitted. That is, alternates should at that point be allowed only for a new design and/or color variation, not something that duplicates a uniform from years past.)

So am I missing something here? Did someone say they don't allow helmets to change at any point in the season due to safety concerns? I thought we lived in the 21st century. It can't possibly be that difficult to come up with a solution that would enable throwbacks including different colored helmets. Sheesh!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ruminator":2bbobma9 said:
So am I missing something here? Did someone say they don't allow helmets to change at any point in the season due to safety concerns? I thought we lived in the 21st century. It can't possibly be that difficult to come up with a solution that would enable throwbacks including different colored helmets. Sheesh!

EXACTLY!!

I had to laugh at that...No offense to the poster who said that but man, well, come on!

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Actually, the original jersey had 3 stripes from 1976 to 1982. In 1983, the stripes were replaced by the wrap-around hawk.

12241306143_0ea5986e05_m.jpg

1976: The Seahawks enter the NFL as an expansion team. The helmet is silver with logo being the head of a seahawk with an homage to the native American totem style. The forward facing logo features a neck with blue on top and green on the bottom (separated by a thin strip of white) that wraps around the back of the helmet, with a break at the center ridge portion of the helmet. The masks are generic gray. The white jersey features quite large blue numbers on the front and back, and normal sized blue sleeve — or TV — numbers. The sleeve stripes are three separated stripes, with the outer stripes in green and the center stripe in blue. The blue jersey has large white numbers front and back and normal sized white numbers on the sleeves. Sleeve stripes have a thin white/medium green/medium white/medium green/thin white combo. Names on the backs (NOBs) match the number colors on each jersey. The Pants are silver with a five stripe combo of green/thin white/blue/thin white/green on the sides. The socks are blue and match the stripes on the sleeves of the blue jersey. The cleat colors buck the white trend and are black, perhaps Head Coach Jack Patera paying tribute to his previous employer, the black footed Minnesota Vikings.

1983: There are some tweaks made to the helmet, jerseys and socks. The facemask on the helmet goes from gray to blue. The jerseys now feature thin green, blue and white trim on the collars. Also, the sleeve stripes are replaced by the helmet logo, which wraps itself around the arm, forming a bit of a striping pattern in itself. On the blue jersey, the logo/stripes are outlined in white. And the TV numbers are bumped up from the sleeves to the shoulders. The socks lose their stripes and are now plain blue.

http://www.uni-watch.com/2014/02/01/sea ... o-present/

Another interesting link.

http://mickelyantz.com/HawksUnis.html