Why was KJ Wright on Gronk?

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I was only a little surprised at the play as it formed that Wright did not BUMP Gronk when he went by. They showed it and I said to myself that he just walked right by Wright. Did KJ not get the memo to bump gronk??? Which one of you all forgot to tell him??? :shock: Or if it was me.....sorry. I will try to do better next time. 8)

Subzero717

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1yfn9fnq said:
CALIHAWK1":1yfn9fnq said:
I wonder why Quinn hadn't received the same backlash for this as Bevel did for the the call.

Because there's absolutely no comparison?

Injuries necessitated it. And it had minimal impact on the game (10 targets, six receptions, 68 yards).

Uh. How not? Because it wasn't the last play? Still as impact full and moronic. He put KJ in man on Gronkowski on the outside and KJ tipped man. It's as moronic as it gets. I don't see what game stats prove. We are talking one play against another.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":1m4zdbei said:
hawknation2015":1m4zdbei said:
CALIHAWK1":1m4zdbei said:
I wonder why Quinn hadn't received the same backlash for this as Bevel did for the the call.

Injuries necessitated it. And it had minimal impact on the game (10 targets, six receptions, 68 yards).

Uh. How not? Because it wasn't the last play? Still as impact full and moronic. He put KJ in man on Gronkowski on the outside and KJ tipped man. It's as moronic as it gets. I don't see what game stats prove. We are talking one play against another.

Yeah if that was the last play of the game and the Pats won on it Quinn would be getting torched. No matter how you see it there is no way KJ should have been on Gronk on the outside by himself.

White Devil

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2vnz3wui said:
hawknation2015":2vnz3wui said:
CALIHAWK1":2vnz3wui said:

Who would you have put on him, knowing now that Kam had a MCL injury?

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
White Devil":j3ujmpmd said:
CALIHAWK1":j3ujmpmd said:
hawknation2015":j3ujmpmd said:
CALIHAWK1":j3ujmpmd said:

Maxwell

Subzero717

Reaction score
White Devil":26umjv1a said:
CALIHAWK1":26umjv1a said:
hawknation2015":26umjv1a said:
CALIHAWK1":26umjv1a said:

Kam had lined up against him as well as Sherm at different points in the game. On the outside in man probably anyone but a LB lined up 8 yards off the ball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3alauqi4 said:
I was only a little surprised at the play as it formed that Wright did not BUMP Gronk when he went by. They showed it and I said to myself that he just walked right by Wright. Did KJ not get the memo to bump gronk??? Which one of you all forgot to tell him??? :shock: Or if it was me.....sorry. I will try to do better next time. 8)

This.

Wright often covers TE's, so it's not like he was doing something he normally doesn't. But yes not putting hands on him t the line to knock him off his routes and slow him down was a HUGE mistake by KJ.

Bottom line, one of the reasons Wright got his big extension was because of his speed and ability to cover TE's in our cover 3 defense...........and like other times of the year, he failed miserably.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
hawknation2015":dl00h1a8 said:
CALIHAWK1":dl00h1a8 said:

You left out the TD he easily caught

SirTed

Reaction score
On the replay of the TD it looks as if a safety (I thought it was Kam but someone in the thread posted it was Thomas) jumped the underneath route and left KJ one on one. I think he should have had help over the top there.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SirTed":38cvc8y7 said:
On the replay of the TD it looks as if a safety (I thought it was Kam but someone in the thread posted it was Thomas) jumped the underneath route and left KJ one on one. I think he should have had help over the top there.

Brady was masterful at looking off Earl pretty much all day, which is why he was late on a lot of those downfield passes.

cacksman

Reaction score
jblaze":tirtlov8 said:
KJ is one of the best coverage LB's in the game if not THE best. However, lining up on the outside vs. Gronk is a matchup you cannot win. At least not without some over the top help.

That is absolutely insane. KJ doesn't have even close to the athleticism to be considered one of the best. Above average, yes. No where close to the best.

cacksman

Reaction score
hawknation2015":ckydabfv said:
CALIHAWK1":ckydabfv said:

When you combine these plays with Gronk, and some of the plays Edelman were against Simon- you, I, and the vast majority of people who know football knew exactly where Brady was going with the ball. Where is the adjustment?

I understand Quinn had a ton of injuries to deal with, but those guys were put in an absolute losing situation. I thought they would make adjustments before the last TD drive, but it was the same as usual. Quinn should not get a pass for that.

cacksman

Reaction score
Seattle's defense the last 3 years have been notorious for making adjustments when needed. That game was the first time since I can remember that the players seemed helpless, because they weren't put in the right situation.

Anything would have been better than having Simon on Edelman on the goal line. Everyone knew where the ball was going. Shade Thomas to cover the slant so Simon can watch the fade or the out. Sub in Shead or Johnson at safety and put Thomas on him. Don't just give them the easiest TD conversion imaginable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
cacksman":23hsrdrl said:
Seattle's defense the last 3 years have been notorious for making adjustments when needed. That game was the first time since I can remember that the players seemed helpless, because they weren't put in the right situation.

Anything would have been better than having Simon on Edelman on the goal line. Everyone knew where the ball was going. Shade Thomas to cover the slant so Simon can watch the fade or the out. Sub in Shead or Johnson at safety and put Thomas on him. Don't just give them the easiest TD conversion imaginable.

I thought Seattle's defenses have been notorious for NOT making adjustments, they just line up and beat you with speed, length and talent.

In hindsight, the D was so beat up by the end of the game I'm not sure what adjustments we could have made........other than going to a straight up cover 2 zone, and IMO Brady would have picked that apart. He feasts on zone.

cacksman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2gtc0c53 said:
cacksman":2gtc0c53 said:

I thought Seattle's defenses have been notorious for NOT making adjustments, they just line up and beat you with speed, length and talent.

In hindsight, the D was so beat up by the end of the game I'm not sure what adjustments we could have made........other than going to a straight up cover 2 zone, and IMO Brady would have picked that apart. He feasts on zone.

You don't think the defense adjusts if what the offense is doing is hurting them? The NFCCG against SF, Kap ran up and down the field, in the 2nd half Irvin was the spy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
cacksman":3s87me5d said:
Sgt. Largent":3s87me5d said:
cacksman":3s87me5d said:

You don't think the defense adjusts if what the offense is doing is hurting them? The NFCCG against SF, Kap ran up and down the field, in the 2nd half Irvin was the spy.

Are those adjustments as in change of scheme, or are those "do your job" adjustments? Because normally when another offense is having success on our D, it's because players are doing things like not being in the correct gaps, overrunning plays and being out of position.

Very rarely have I seen our D come out in the 2nd half and change their schemes, usually it's 80% cover 3 and 20% cover 1 and maybe a little cover 2 if it's 3rd and long or something.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
cacksman":23lq4jzt said:
hawknation2015":23lq4jzt said:
CALIHAWK1":23lq4jzt said:

When you combine these plays with Gronk, and some of the plays Edelman were against Simon- you, I, and the vast majority of people who know football knew exactly where Brady was going with the ball. Where is the adjustment?

I understand Quinn had a ton of injuries to deal with, but those guys were put in an absolute losing situation. I thought they would make adjustments before the last TD drive, but it was the same as usual. Quinn should not get a pass for that.

I have a feeling both Gus Bradley and Quinn are overrated by the NFL and our fans. We have arguably the best Secondary and Defense in the entire history of the NFL in terms of talent. For how great this D is supposed to be it sure seems like they fold like a cheap tent at the worst times...see Atlanta in 2012, Chicago Wilsons Rookie year, Denver in the Regular Season, The Superbowl up 10.