Wild Idea.....

purpleneer

Reaction score
Hawks46":2v2b4gqx said:
In theory, I get it and I'd tend to agree. Maybe not to the scope the OP is suggesting, but we have enough mid round picks that we have ammo to move up to get players we really want. I also agree that a lot of the 4th and 5th round picks might not make the team at all, or they will at the expense of guys we just drafted last year and didn't get a chance to develop.

That said, in this instance, with that many draft picks and for a WR......NO. WR isn't a valuable enough position to us to spend that kid of draft capital. Yea, package a few picks to move up to get a great OL prospect or DL stud, but I'm not ok with spending 5 draft picks on a player that we won't target more than 60ish times per year.
Doing it for the OL at least would make less sense than for a receiver, and DL has a pretty high bust rate (and development curve). The notion that a top receiver has such a lower value ceiling because of a run-heavy offense is bunk. Good receivers do actually have value beyond being targeted. There's more of a diminishing return at the very top for OL.
There doesn't seem to me to be anyone in this draft worth moving up in the first for, at least if there isn't an unexpected fall for someone to within 5-6 picks. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I get the feeling the board is going to make it more worthwhile to do in the 2nd and 3rd.

Rob12

Reaction score
cheese22":1btluk8k said:
Strong at #31 could turn out to be the best wr value pick in this draft. And with his ceiling, that would mean we have a very good #1 wr for several years. Watching his video, I think he has a chance to be the top wr from this draft.

I have a very hard time believing he makes it to us.

kearly

Reaction score
Rob12":3lqxzcor said:

I personally think Strong has got a 50/50 shot of being there, due to the parity at the position this year. Among the WRs, Strong is behind White, Smith, and Cooper at the very least. Maybe also Coates, DGB and Parker. There's only so many teams that will want a WR in round 1, especially in a so-so WR draft. I see Strong coming off the board in the 20-40 range right now.

It's going to be a buyers market this year on the trade front. Seattle could probably move up into the early 20s for a fourth round pick. Might be something they should consider if they have a very high grade on one of these late 1st rounder WRs.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":29u6h6d6 said:
Rob12":29u6h6d6 said:

I personally think Strong has got a 50/50 shot of being there, due to the parity at the position this year. Among the WRs, Strong is behind White, Smith, and Cooper at the very least. Maybe also Coates, DGB and Parker. There's only so many teams that will want a WR in round 1, especially in a so-so WR draft. I see Strong coming off the board in the 20-40 range right now.

It's going to be a buyers market this year on the trade front. Seattle could probably move up into the early 20s for a fourth round pick. Might be something they should consider if they have a very high grade on one of these late 1st rounder WRs.

That is a move I could really get excited about. Maybe they can't justify giving up all the capital to move into the Top 10 for a WR, but if they could give up a mid round pick or two to move into the early 20s and get a WR they really like, that would make a ton of sense. With the extra picks we have this year, it wouldn't sting to give a couple mid-rounders up, especially if you are getting a real playmaker at WR.

two dog

Reaction score
Moving into the 20's to target a guy you really like. Yeah, I can really see that. But making a move that
gives up your 2 and next year's 1 kind of scares me. For a move that requires that kind of capital, I would
rather be a seller than a buyer.

If you are a team, like Seattle, which seems to have some advanced scouting methods then draft picks
are gold. Depends on the draft class largely. This year's group is said to have a sort of plateau between
25 and 45 so trading down makes sense but I suppose that could be also be a rationale for trading up.
Faint heart, fair maid and all that. Problem is that sometimes when you think you're getting a bad dude,
turns out you get that fair maid.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If they moved up, would rather it be for Amari Cooper or Danny Shelton than White. Not that I don't like White (quite the contrary actually) .. just think Cooper would be a perfect fit for this offense. Even though his vertical is poopy per our resident WR savant.

original poster

Reaction score
I can definitely imagine us moving up in the first but not a top 10 move, that would take too much IMO and go against the Seattle draft philosophy.

Fortunately we've got a lot of extra picks this year which we need to use to our advantage, going with quantity over quality and hoping one or two stick won't do this year IMO.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
What the OP proposes will not happen. Ever. No way will management trade two drafts to move up to top 5. It would take the best picks from tow drafts to do it.

But should the team move up 5 or 6 spots? Depends on the player. We paid draft picks to move up for Harvin, in a roundabout sort of way. So it isn't without precedent, even given our front office proclivity for moving the other direction.

This will really be the first year we have a draft flush with picks. Most years, we have had too few, not too many.

As far as Strong, he has flaws that could make his first year a tough one. I love his talent, but he would be available in the late first for pretty solid reasons. Who knows, John might have him pegged as a 45th spot guy, and move back. Or have his eye on some other prospect first, like Gordon.

P & J have never been afraid to let the draft come to them. I doubt they change that up much this year.

two dog

Reaction score
I would trade down out of the 1st and draft Nelson Agholor. You get a twofer with him. He runs routes and
catches as well as the big names and is a hell of a punt runner. Tyler Lockett would make me just as happy.
Dynamite playmaking receiver and kick runner. This leaves you free to get your OL at the bottom of the 2nd.

I expect Lockett, Agholor and Phillip Doesett all will climb the prospect ranks as the draft draws nearer.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Rob12":148wutsx said:
For those of you who feel that we don't need to significantly improve the receiver position, please tell me why and what you think this group looks like next year.

No snark here, just genuinely curious.

I agree that we need to improve the WR position, or the OL position. I'd posit the position we need to upgrade more is the OL. Then you get a two-fer. You upgrade the run game, and you upgrade Wilson's protection.

Wilson actually regressed last year in finding open guys because his protection is so bad, half the time he doesn't have enough time to find his 3rd option, and the other half the time when he does, he doesn't think he's going to get the time anyways. Look at replays of the SB. Baldwin was open a half dozen times, and in rewatching those still and the All 22, Wilson had throwing lanes and time, but he just didn't look that way. I'd say that's on the OL being terrible, but Revis does that to a lot of QBs, like Sherman does.

So, if Wilson had time, he'd be more efficient at finding our guys when they're open. I want our QB to progress, because like you and others have said, we're about to pay him 20 million. Ask yourself this: if Manning or Brady had time behind an OL, could they throw our WRs open ? Because honestly, his WRs in the SB they just beat us with aren't any better than our WRs. He doesn't have a Matthews, and we don't have a Gronk. Edelman honestly isn't that much better than Baldwin, he just gets targetted a ton more.

Then look at the transverse: we could have a stud WR, and there are times when Wilson is scrambling for his life 2 seconds after the ball is snapped. Not many WRs are open immediately, and if they are, they're usually tackled within a few yards of the LOS on the quick throw. A better offensive lineman would help there, while a WR wouldn't. Harvin was supposed to be that guy, but it didn't work. Harvin gets separation immediately.

Also, you honestly lost me when you wanted us to trade up picks to grab DGB. You not only want us to throw away a first, but dump even more picks into a player that's more likely to turn into a Josh Gordon 2.0 than a Pro Bowl WR ? Lunacy.

Hawks46

Reaction score
purpleneer":2l9q8g5o said:
Hawks46":2l9q8g5o said:
In theory, I get it and I'd tend to agree. Maybe not to the scope the OP is suggesting, but we have enough mid round picks that we have ammo to move up to get players we really want. I also agree that a lot of the 4th and 5th round picks might not make the team at all, or they will at the expense of guys we just drafted last year and didn't get a chance to develop.

That said, in this instance, with that many draft picks and for a WR......NO. WR isn't a valuable enough position to us to spend that kid of draft capital. Yea, package a few picks to move up to get a great OL prospect or DL stud, but I'm not ok with spending 5 draft picks on a player that we won't target more than 60ish times per year.
Doing it for the OL at least would make less sense than for a receiver, and DL has a pretty high bust rate (and development curve). The notion that a top receiver has such a lower value ceiling because of a run-heavy offense is bunk. Good receivers do actually have value beyond being targeted. There's more of a diminishing return at the very top for OL.
There doesn't seem to me to be anyone in this draft worth moving up in the first for, at least if there isn't an unexpected fall for someone to within 5-6 picks. I'm not opposed to the idea, but I get the feeling the board is going to make it more worthwhile to do in the 2nd and 3rd.

We actually agree. I'm not saying move up for moving up's sake. I'm saying move up for a guy the FO really likes, regardless of position, as we have the picks to do it. And I'd also agree that this year's draft isn't looking great to move up in the 1st round from our position.

I really want to upgrade our WR corps. They are the weakest part of our team, although you could argue OL...we run block well enough to be considered OK there. But I don't want to sink 3 picks into one guy to do so, especially when: 1. WRs have a higher learning curve in our offense, as it takes a while to get chemistry with Russ and figure out his unique style, 2. WR doesn't help with immediate OL pass pro break downs like we seem to get a lot, and 3. We spread the ball around a lot and are near the bottom of the league in pass attempts. Even if we managed to land a true #1 WR in the draft, I doubt our coaching staff would go away from our offensive principles (run first, ball control) just to target that guy. It's not broke, we don't need to fix it, we need to fine tune it and upgrade it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":lzw4wrbl said:
Rob12":lzw4wrbl said:

This would make me really happy. We have the extra comp picks, so it would be like giving up nothing. Just not leveraging the future.