Will people stop saying our defense played bad last night?

BamKam

Reaction score
Listning to KJR Elise gave our defense a 5/6 out of 10 last night. I think for the most part this board has been pretty good about criticizing their effort but holy hell the media like ESPN and even local like KJR keep shredding our defense last night. It wasn't our best effort by any means but we held them out of the end zone the entire game and without that last drive they racked up 260 yards or so.

You have to remember our offense couldn't stay on the field last night so our defense was probably gassed in that last possession and rightfully so. Kellen Clemons didn't do anything. The run defense was concerncing without a doubt and needs to be adressed but you are going to get some of those weeks, I am sure it isn't the last week this will happen.

Our D won us the game last night, if it wasn't for Shermans interception putting us in scoring territory we might only get 7 points or if they get in the end zone once on ANY of their drives then we lose as well.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Our defense played a great game for how much our offense totally screwed them over. We had what, 5 consecutive 3-and-outs at one point? Shameful. Our offense isn't fit to hold our defense's collective jockstraps.

Time of possession for Rams: 38:09. Seahawks? 21:51. Pathetic. (That means we lost, Cartire, I know.)

Seeker

Reaction score
KJR Format

UW
UW
UW
UW
UW
UW
UW
UW
UW
(seahawks)
UW
UW
UW
UW
UW
UW
UW
UW
UW

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah I have zero bad to say about our D last night. Even if you throw out the notion that they were on the field all game long (really, in a lot of cases it's hyperbole but they were nearly out there ALL GAME), so they let one team run on them? They still only allowed field goals, and they created some turnovers with a bit of er...help from Kellen Clemens.

If they don't play a monster game then last night is not a win.

acbass

Reaction score
They let 3 field goals to a team that came out ready to punch us in the mouth. When they HAD to make a stop they did. I have no complaints about the defense. Could they have played better? Certainly. Am I down on them at all? Nope. 7-1. That is all.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Run defense was bad. Zac Stacy got 134 yards on 26 carries, rams got 200 total.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I didn't see the game but followed it on the computer posting.php?mode=edit&f=2&p=1102283# It seems like the bent but did not break. I am still not sure whey they let them drive all the way down with a no name quarterback on the last drive even though they held them. Very frustrating. I would not say they played bad at all because of that. Holding any team to 9 points is a very good game. Like others have said lots of 3 and out on our offense kept them on field to long. Look at the time of possession 38 minutes for them and 22 for us. A bit lopsided. They did well. The focus should be on our offense.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The defense did an outstanding job considering that the offense hung them out to dry especially in the second half and they got some serious chicken crap calls against them to extend drives. I'd give them at least a B-plus.

kidhawk

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":zs29p01q said:
Run defense was bad. Zac Stacy got 134 yards on 26 carries, rams got 200 total.

Yes, they ran the ball better than they probably should have, but when a team gives up zero touchdowns and only 9 total points with an offensive performance that was SO ABYSMAL, you have to give them props. Our defense couldn't have been blamed had they given up that final score. Our offense blew chunks yesterday and the defense stepped up and made the plays we had to have.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
They bit on that one running play of St. Louis' so many times I lost count. They didn't have much to work with given our 1992-esque level of offensive production, but they definitely have some things to work on.

twelthmanfan

Reaction score
The defense was on the field way to long. Considering field position, to keep them from scoring a TD was amazing. They bailed us out last night and must be gassed today. Great work D!!!

hawker84

Reaction score
ya guys tend to get a bit gassed having to stay on the field after 3 and out after 3 and out. i thought they did an outstanding job considering, i also give a lot of props to the rams, they came to play on both sides of the ball, and i don't get all the Clemens hate, i thought he did just fine besides the two bad throws/int's....

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Seeker":3q5srohg said:
KJR Format

Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
( Seahawks )
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
Sarks butt
ftfy

Our defense kicked butt - name these names (if thats cool - I think a level of shaming is allowed in this case)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think 6 out of 10 is fair.

There's no way a backup QB and one of the worst run attacks in the league should be able to put up 340 yards, with 200 on the ground. Add in some very timely stupid penalties, and letting the other team march 98 yards on the last drive......and you get 6 out of 10.

Now maybe some of this is forgivable because our offense left our D on the field to die for 75% of the game. But still not acceptable against the level of talent the Rams had on offense.

ExperienceJones

Reaction score
9 points total, no TDs, two turnovers, goal line stand to win the game.

Not the best performance by the D but pretty damn good.

Let us remember that points win games, not rushing yards.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Only defensive stat that concerned me (and it's being nit-picky as hell given what was asked of them): 5.4 yards per carry

OrFan

Reaction score
I laugh so hard when people put up stats about yards. When was the last time a team won because they had more yards vs how many points were scored?

I'm waiting.

Never?

Thought so.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I just wish the D would stop playing zone. We're getting killed out there in zone.

In man-to-man we are lights-out.

I just don't get why they play zone so much now.

Against the 49ers we played almost exclusively man-to-man. Look how that game turned out.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This "debate" will go on for as long as we have Carroll as our coach. His philosophy is to err on the side of conceding yards in order to reduce the chance of big plays that lead to easy points, especially when we have the lead. Occasionally it will not work out and everybody will blame the defense for the loss. Bradley got the blame the last two years whenever it didn't work out, but it has always been Carroll's MO and it works out most of the time. The other team makes a mistake at some point and our bend but not break defense forces a field goal, punt or turnover.

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1z5d277y said:
Our defense played a great game for how much our offense totally screwed them over. We had what, 5 consecutive 3-and-outs at one point? Shameful. Our offense isn't fit to hold our defense's collective jockstraps.

Time of possession for Rams: 38:09. Seahawks? 21:51. Pathetic. (That means we lost, Cartire, I know.)

anom·a·ly noun \ə-ˈnä-mə-lē\
: something that is unusual or unexpected : something anomalous

71% means that it's wrong 29% of the time.

That being said, the D gets 99% of the props. (Tate gets 1%)

Latest posts