Will these suspensions be a distraction?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
It wasn't a distraction last season when we already had 5 losses.

Thurmond was injured and Browner was supsended... it kind of flipped-flopped this season.

Both Lane and Maxwell stepped up late last season and both are argubly better this season.

Only Trufant is missing, and if the Seahawks sign Winfield. Its still a plus situation that what we had last year.

And as many pointed out, Seahawks absoultely killed last year year without Browner or Thurmond.

It changes nothing... especially considering we have a pass rush that can pick up the slack and an offense with a healthy line and the super human skills of Percy Harvin can go toe to toe with any elite defense as well as compete with any elite offense in a shoot-out.

Seahawks took hits in talent but their overall talent still ranks elite in the NFL with or without Thurmond and especially Browner.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Z has it right.

The stupidity of our fans is reaching legendary status right now. After all the mocking of the Houston fans for cheering an injury, and the rightful castigation of some of those fans in Houston. We then see we have fans that have hurled some of the worst invective at our players - most of whom have nothing to do with the mistakes of 2 of our players and who have a far greater vested interest in seeing the success of this team than any of our so called fans. Turns out our bad apples can be just as bad as the bad apples elsewhere. Shocking.

Those fans are not out there lifting, playing through injuries and putting in the work and time to make the team successful, the players do that. And yet you have all these fans finger pointing and arguing with the actual players about how they are not doing enough. Really, the players need to step away from Twitter because right now they are getting an unfiltered firehose of sentiment devoid of reason, people looking to spew outrage as a form of catharsis. It isn't reasonable to sample any of it because little of it has reason in the first place.

Frankly, some of the most vocal "fans" need a sense of perspective.

Go watch your fiance dying in your arms slowly over a year and half and then tell me how important a silly football game is. Even a football game as important as the coming one, even games where players risk their own health and safety for such entertainment. I love football, I love the Seahawks but I know what matters.

If your sense of emotional stability gets upset by how the team does, you need to think about what is wrong inside you then first.

The sense of ownership that some of our "fans" have over the team is actually a bit beyond healthy right now. There is an emotional vesting that isn't really there, but instead is just something some of them have convinced themselves they have.

When your week or month is "ruined" because of something some kid you never met did, simply because you like the jersey he wears and the sticker on his helmet...you need to rethink how you approach what matters.

Either way, both the fans and the players need to realize that when emotions are raw, it probably isn't a great time to go standing in front of bullhorns. Especially the "fans".

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":39brym0o said:
TwistedHusky":39brym0o said:
Z has it right.

LOL! I try, but sometimes I find myself arguing against my own posts (I abuse the edit function) You know, nothing is every black and white, but in general, I think some fans are a bit over-reactionary to say the least. ;)
That's quite the understatement.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1yyl13s4 said:
Z has it right.

The stupidity of our fans is reaching legendary status right now. After all the mocking of the Houston fans for cheering an injury, and the rightful castigation of some of those fans in Houston. We then see we have fans that have hurled some of the worst invective at our players - most of whom have nothing to do with the mistakes of 2 of our players and who have a far greater vested interest in seeing the success of this team than any of our so called fans. Turns out our bad apples can be just as bad as the bad apples elsewhere. Shocking.

Those fans are not out there lifting, playing through injuries and putting in the work and time to make the team successful, the players do that. And yet you have all these fans finger pointing and arguing with the actual players about how they are not doing enough. Really, the players need to step away from Twitter because right now they are getting an unfiltered firehose of sentiment devoid of reason, people looking to spew outrage as a form of catharsis. It isn't reasonable to sample any of it because little of it has reason in the first place.

Frankly, some of the most vocal "fans" need a sense of perspective.

Go watch your fiance dying in your arms slowly over a year and half and then tell me how important a silly football game is. Even a football game as important as the coming one, even games where players risk their own health and safety for such entertainment. I love football, I love the Seahawks but I know what matters.

If your sense of emotional stability gets upset by how the team does, you need to think about what is wrong inside you then first.

The sense of ownership that some of our "fans" have over the team is actually a bit beyond healthy right now. There is an emotional vesting that isn't really there, but instead is just something some of them have convinced themselves they have.

When your week or month is "ruined" because of something some kid you never met did, simply because you like the jersey he wears and the sticker on his helmet...you need to rethink how you approach what matters.

Either way, both the fans and the players need to realize that when emotions are raw, it probably isn't a great time to go standing in front of bullhorns. Especially the "fans".

Well said, and a very much needed bucket of water thrown upon the collective. Shake yourselves people!!

RiverDog

Reaction score
At this point, I'm not too worried. We're 10-1, have the inside track to HFA, we're still pretty deep at CB, and the playoffs are over a month away. This is like losing your 5 iron. You always want to carry one with you but the chances that not having it will cost you strokes is pretty slim.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
RiverDog":297c0ety said:
At this point, I'm not too worried. We're 10-1, have the inside track to HFA, we're still pretty deep at CB, and the playoffs are over a month away. This is like losing your 5 iron. You always want to carry one with you but the chances that not having it will cost you strokes is pretty slim.
You won't see me disagree with that sentiment especially since everyone seems to have forgetten we have do have an offense led by Wilson with a healthy Harvin, Lynch, and OL. Couple this with something we didn't have last year (pass rush) and everything is just fine.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":rrg3e53m said:
*nod*

Fans and players alike, just need to treat it as a hurdle/challenge to overcome. (king of editing out my bad fingers here)

There just isn't time in life for the "you suck that shouldn't have happened, blah blah blah" man, you gotta shake off the damage and get moving forward again.

Listen, I have had some horrible things happen to me over the last decade and a half... 5 trips to intensive care, piles of medication, loss of my job, my home, losing everything I had and being uprooted, getting stuck on chemo drugs and painkillers, almost losing my leg to amputation, nearly dying from a blood infection created by complications of my disease - and through all of that, personal betrayal by a close family member with substance abuse problems, unexpected death of my father -- just, "everything and the kitchen sink" there are times I have watched my wife cry for 10 hour straight, and then she gets up and goes back to work, and I get up and go do the things I gotta do to try to work out my dreams amidst almost impossible obstacles.

I started my novel, then I lost my eyesight... it was too dangerous to have the operation to try to fix it, so I had to finish my first novel while LEGALLY BLIND!!! Try writing a novel in 32 point text, or proofreading a 200,000 word manuscript with a magnifying glass!!!

But I did it, because I had no choice, it was either that or stop pursuing my dreams. Now, no agent or publisher will read the damn first chapter because I am a "first time writer" and I am too ill (immune compromised) to get to the conventions and network, so it's more obstacles to face... but there is no sense in complaining I am not getting a fair shake, I just have to keep plugging, keep persisting, accept things are the way they are and work through it.

There is no dream worth having, that does not require a Rubicon or two...

Life is effing hard, and you have no choice but to deal with the hand you are dealt.

And there is never time for the blame game. It doesn't work, trust me, I've tried.

INCREDIBLE!!!!

Only this guy and KCHawkGhoul (Sandy) know what suffering is!!!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Interesting take given I never mentioned suffering and my name isn't Sandy.. That would be Johanna so if you insist on including me in a personal attack about a post I never made at least get my name right.

Basically be that glass half full guy just allow for others to be glass half full without senseless attacks deal?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1ebm6iul said:
Blitzer88":1ebm6iul said:
With how vocal some of the players have been over twitter, I think it has already become a distraction to some degree, with the ability to only get worse as the week goes along.

Fans need to stop overreacting and going after Browner et. or worse, the players that weren't even involved in this.

You don't want players resenting the fans, ugh!

A Beaver and a Duck got busted for weed... that's all it was.

Moving on...

Fans need to stop telling other fans what they need to do (circular logic-I recognize that)

But really. Who the shit are you?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":11rsd10x said:
Interesting take given I never mentioned suffering and my name isn't Sandy.. That would be Johanna so if you insist on including me in a personal attack about a post I never made at least get my name right.

Read

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
That thread was full of overreaction which is fine but a waste of time. And no I am not going to play your game, it's a pure trap given as far as I'm concerned I accept your view is opposite from mine and both of us will live and the Seahawks will likely deal with this just fine in the end.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I find the timing of all this very interesting. All this fall out just before the Seahawks' 2 biggest games of the season.

Whilst as always the responsibility lies with the players to conduct themselves appropriately, it seems a little convenient for this shitstorm to appear on the horizon now.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":kkhd7cxd said:
RiverDog":kkhd7cxd said:
You won't see me disagree with that sentiment especially since everyone seems to have forgetten we have do have an offense led by Wilson with a healthy Harvin, Lynch, and OL. Couple this with something we didn't have last year (pass rush) and everything is just fine.
Never mind that Wilson, Harvin, Lynch, and OL stuff, I'm still stressed out over River Dog making light of not having a 5 iron in my bag :shock:
How'd he know I was missin' my 5 iron? lest he be the dirty River Dog that took it :17:
Where was I?, Oh Yeah, I'm not a twitter fitter, so I'm un-affected with any fretting that's shakin' out on there. :229031_shrug:

RiverDog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2kcixqmd said:
KCHawkGirl":2kcixqmd said:
RiverDog":2kcixqmd said:
Never mind that Wilson, Harvin, Lynch, and OL stuff, I'm still stressed out over River Dog making light of not having a 5 iron in my bag :shock:
How'd he know I was missin' my 5 iron? lest he be the dirty River Dog that took it :17:
Where was I?, Oh Yeah, I'm not a twitter fitter, so I'm un-affected with any fretting that's shakin' out on there. :229031_shrug:

I hear ya. Those guys need to stay away from Twitter at least until the initial shock and awe wears off. All they're doing is making fools of themselves. They're complaining about fans jumping to conclusions when every major media outlet in the country is reporting this as a 1 year, drug related suspension. What the hell are we supposed to do? Ignore it?

hawk45

Reaction score
Players have zero, I mean zero, grounds to complain about fan attention. Football players ride a wave of affection through life. Then yeah, if they get to the NFL they might see some displeasure, but by that time they can wipe their tears with hundred dollar bills all night long. These guys sign up for Twitter for the attention they receive, then cry about the reactionary nature of Twitter.

Pro Tip: If you're going to be on Twitter then don't be a f**k up. A guy like RW can be on Twitter fine because he won't mess up off the field, and he's smart enough to tune out the noise if he gets negative comments about his play.

As to the OP, I do think it will be a distraction, but *so far* the defense has played better with a chip on the shoulder than without. So it may not result in worse play. Aside from the obvious negative of having your starter and backup be out for being stupid.