Will Wilson play differently in our season opener and the whole season?

toffee

Reaction score
We all know how Wilson likes to play RussBall, well documented on .net, and national media. Will Russ pull a total makeover for the season opener? Just to surprise our defense? For folks that think it's not possible, please allow me to bring up the greatest, and my hero Ali! Ali was all about his athleticism, his legs and quickness, a style only he could box. He ran circles around his opponents, his matches against Liston was masterpieces, Ali was quite untouchable.

But he totally pulled a 180 in his match with Foreman, he was a stationery target, didn't use his legs no dancing. He leverage his chain to win rumble in the jungle. Foreman wasn't prepared or game planned for that, and the rest was history.

Would we see a different Russell Wilson? Standing proud in the pocket and throw to the middle of the field where our defense will be weak as we won't expect balls going there?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Word out of Broncos camp is that Hackett has been coaching Russ on getting the ball out faster.

Will he finally learn to do so as a 10 year vet? Or will we see more playground, off-schedule hero ball?

Remains to be seen.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Hoping the Donks play very sloppy all night. We could be catching the Bronco's at the right time. Esp. since they basically didn't play starters the entire pre season.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep.

He didn't play the entire preseason.

He is going to look like crap. Even against our defense.

It makes sense why the Bronco did it. You cannot have your star QB injured in the preseason.
But he won't be ready, and might even put himself at injury risk because he probably isn't used to contact yet.

Figure the first 3 games will be rough for him but he will go on a tear in the last 6 games. It will also help that he will be playing the NFC West and he is used to those defenses by now.
Expect a swoon at the season start, and then him to rip off victories in the 2nd half of the year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hope you're right Twisted. I think the Donks win by double digits, hope to be very surprised. With geNO under center, I have zero confidence.
Now if the running game gets rollin, we can at least see them make it close.

keasley45

Reaction score
He's going to look like the Russ that Pete wanted over the last few years. I believe 100% the guy is gonna be fine with being conservative, handing the ball off and trying to work within Hacketts offense. I just don't know what that offense looks like with Russ at QB. He's not Rodgers, and I'm not sure how you 'script' to Russ's strengths.

If Hackett's comments about how his focus in practice has been trying to get Russ to understand his 1st and 2nd reads...

We just MIGHT have a decent chance.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
If Hackett's comments about how his focus in practice has been trying to get Russ to understand his 1st and 2nd reads...
OMG, how dare Hackett! To understand first and second reads? Those are words a HC/OC reserve for first year pros, not a first ballot HOF player in his 11th year. How dare Hackett.

Torc

Reaction score
If history is any indication, the first few games of the season he'll look amazing. Then, as defenses get good film on him he'll get frustrated and revert to Russ ball. He'll throw some great deep balls but ignore everything underneath, he'll frustrate his offensive line by running out of the pocket and making them look bad. Then at the end of the season, he'll somehow find something within himself that makes everyone lament that if he just hadn't had the mid season slump, he'd get a few MVP votes. :p

The real question is, will Hackett have the stones to call Russ out when he reverts and remind him to run 'the' offense instead of the 'Russ' offense?

I admit I don't have a lot of hope for the Seahawks in week one, although in the back of my mind I hope Pete has some ideas to frustrate Russ and his newly learned offense. Maybe Sherman is meeting with some of the DBs and giving them some tells to look for - I think Sherm would laugh his head off to see the Broncos lose this game. But I look forward to seeing the Rams play the Broncos. I can't wait to see Russ on the ground with Aaron Donald on top of him thinking "This was the reason I wanted out of the NFC West." I'm not a rams fan by any stretch, but I'd be tempted to watch that game.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Russ is going to tear the hawks up. Right now, at this point in time, this is really bad football team.
Of course the season starts in a few days and we can see how this team perform. But at this juncture, I disagree with you. Here's why:
  1. Last season, our defense was #11 in the league on points allowed, I felt like we have better personnel now than last season. we could have a top 10 defense this year.
  2. Our offense is better in all position except QB, but Geno and Russ ended last season with the same grading. While its reasonable to assume Russ will have a better season than 2021, but why are you so sure that Geno will definitely regress?
You can call me a homer, but I am cheering our boys on.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Of course the season starts in a few days and we can see how this team perform. But at this juncture, I disagree with you. Here's why:
  1. Last season, our defense was #11 in the league on points allowed, I felt like we have better personnel now than last season. we could have a top 10 defense this year.
  2. Our offense is better in all position except QB, but Geno and Russ ended last season with the same grading. While its reasonable to assume Russ will have a better season than 2021, but why are you so sure that Geno will definitely regress?
You can call me a homer, but I am cheering our boys on.
new season, new defensive scheme. This will take time to learn and be effective. It will be very ugly for the first half. Our defense last year was ugly early and got better. a nearly top 10 defense last year didn't help win any games while we had a backup at QB. Geno went 1-3 as a starter and averaged 1 TD a game. That's anemic, that kind of production will net you one of the worst teams in the league. Period. Gird your loins brother, the suck is about to begin.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
new season, new defensive scheme. This will take time to learn and be effective. It will be very ugly for the first half. Our defense last year was ugly early and got better. a nearly top 10 defense last year didn't help win any games while we had a backup at QB. Geno went 1-3 as a starter and averaged 1 TD a game. That's anemic, that kind of production will net you one of the worst teams in the league. Period. Gird your loins brother, the suck is about to begin.
our #11 ranked defense won our backup QB one game, lost two with 3 points each, in one of those two games, our kicker missed two field goals. Our #11 defense kept us in games till the last second, our backup QB didn't become superman and save the day, but those two games were winnable.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Its week 1. He will try hard and look good...if this were halfway through the season and he was yet again out of the mvp race he'd just go through the motions...

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
That #11 defense had the packers at 0 points til they couldn’t hold no more cuz our diva Qb at the time came back and was complete ass like he had been all season.

Sorry it still bothers me
I also fault Pete for not pulling Russ at half time.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
After he sailed a couple (he clearly wasn't healed up yet) Pete should have got some balls and actually benched him. If he didn't like it, too bad.
That was my beef for those games, I felt like Pete wasn't doing his job and Russ was not responsible and certainly not team first.

At that point we were still looking at playoff, with remote chances. What Russ was doing one could understand, he couldn't allow Geno to shine, ie system QB, he also need protect his trade value by showing that he could still ball after the injury. Why Pete didn't pull Russ? God knows

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
All in how you look at it. Not going down this rabbit hole again. It's a little bit of everything.

But again, he's gone. It was best for everyone. I realize this is the first game etc. but I stick to my opinion that the obsession with this guy since he left is getting borderline creepy :ROFLMAO:

chrispy

Reaction score
Early, when he gets pressure, rolls out and sees Sutton or Jeudy one-on-one deep, does he abandon his #2 read to heave it long? ...or follow the script and dump to the flat?

We know what's scripted.
We know what the coach has coached him to do.
We know the Broncos are heavily favored and the need for a long/quick score is unwarranted.
We know it's better for the Bronco's team to keep drives going, incorporate the run game and split time with their top-rated D.
We also know an early 50 yd TD will blow up The Brand's social media and sell a lot of jerseys.
It sure wouldn't hurt with the early MVP race either.

Maybe we'll find out in the first couple series how this relationship will turn out long term.... The plan is to play differently. The expectation is to play differently. Both RW3 and the Coaching staff have openly talked about concentrating on the short game. But maybe you've heard the fable about the scorpion and the turtle (or scorpion and frog in some texts).

Latest posts