Wilson #5 Ranking the Top 50 Quarterbacks from 2014

AVL

Reaction score
Is there any way to extract all of this personal venom from any thread concerning Wilson?

I like Andrew Luck. I can't stand many of his ardent fans. I'm sure there are many who feel the same way with Wilson.

Fade

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":8awf5dls said:
scutterhawk":8awf5dls said:
Fade":8awf5dls said:
russ22.gif

Another amazing play.

You know I think I might have to score Wilson 6/5.

Russellwislonscramblethrowgif
My fav scramble/pass from last year.

RWBEASTMODE0
My fav scramble/run from last year.

And you're either dumb or a hater if Wilson isn't a 5/5.

What is crazy I could post another 30 of these miraculous scramble plays, Wilson does them routinely. I still can't wrap my head around a 4/5. /Christian Bale look .gif.
How ANYONE could watch this and not call him an "ELITE" Quarterback, and that it undeniably proves he's a 5/5.
And too, there are lots of nobody's foolishly making claims, that he could be easily replaced, if he doesn't cave to the Front Office in negotiations SMH.
Scrambling is only one part of Wilson, and every other QB's game. Pointing at one (albeit spectacular) play as evidence that Wilson is amongst the best QB's in the NFL (top 5) is not the best way to evaluate Wilson, or any player. If you look at the whole Wilson starts looking less spectacular.

As a passer he has a lot of work to do. His play is up, and down, never really consistent. He'll be great for a quarter or two in games, and pull a disappearing act for the rest of the game. One reason I suspect this happens is because he has been too reliant on his scrambling abilities while he has been in the NFL. All of that running around affects his accuracy in my opinion. I notice after he has done a lot of running around he looks like he throws high. It ruins his ability to create any semblance of a rhythm which is very important for most passing games. Instead of checking down, it always looks like he goes for the big knockout punch. He needs to get over that mentality if he ever wants to take the next big step in his game.

I also feel concerned about how hesitant he looks to trust his receivers. Unless they are open by a mile, he seems to do a double take. He is also lacking in ball placement on short routes, and throws that exploit the middle of the field. Most of his throws are usually on the sidelines. These are things that the top passers in the NFL do on a regular basis even if they don't have the best receivers on their team.

These reservations that I have make me wonder if he what he would be capable of if we went to a more pass oriented offense. I think this is a question that should be answered before we pay him the big money. That is why I would be perfectly fine with just sitting back, and seeing how he does this year.

Think Matt Hasselbeck from 2003-2005. Sure, we had a more run biased offense, but even still we had an offense that was feared by other teams. This was accomplished with simple, but effective concepts. Hasselbeck took what was given to him, and was very good at going through his progressions, and getting into a rhythm. The result was that he was very good at converting third downs. I would like to see Wilson do the same thing, make a quick, decisive decision to keep the ball moving. Overall that would really increase his efficiency.

That inconsistency you see is the OLine.

per FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS

Highest DVOA without pressure, 2014

1. Aaron Rodgers 81%
2. Tony Romo 77.8%
3. Russell Wilson 75.3%
4. Tom Brady 65.9%
5. Peyton Manning 62.9%

635515964280865297-8886480_michaelscott10.gif

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":1lwyei5e said:
Spin Doctor":1lwyei5e said:
scutterhawk":1lwyei5e said:
Fade":1lwyei5e said:
russ22.gif

Another amazing play.

RWBEASTMODE0

What is crazy I could post another 30 of these miraculous scramble plays, Wilson does them routinely. I still can't wrap my head around a 4/5. /Christian Bale look .gif.
How ANYONE could watch this and not call him an "ELITE" Quarterback, and that it undeniably proves he's a 5/5.
And too, there are lots of nobody's foolishly making claims, that he could be easily replaced, if he doesn't cave to the Front Office in negotiations SMH.
Scrambling is only one part of Wilson, and every other QB's game. Pointing at one (albeit spectacular) play as evidence that Wilson is amongst the best QB's in the NFL (top 5) is not the best way to evaluate Wilson, or any player. If you look at the whole Wilson starts looking less spectacular.

As a passer he has a lot of work to do. His play is up, and down, never really consistent. He'll be great for a quarter or two in games, and pull a disappearing act for the rest of the game. One reason I suspect this happens is because he has been too reliant on his scrambling abilities while he has been in the NFL. All of that running around affects his accuracy in my opinion. I notice after he has done a lot of running around he looks like he throws high. It ruins his ability to create any semblance of a rhythm which is very important for most passing games. Instead of checking down, it always looks like he goes for the big knockout punch. He needs to get over that mentality if he ever wants to take the next big step in his game.

I also feel concerned about how hesitant he looks to trust his receivers. Unless they are open by a mile, he seems to do a double take. He is also lacking in ball placement on short routes, and throws that exploit the middle of the field. Most of his throws are usually on the sidelines. These are things that the top passers in the NFL do on a regular basis even if they don't have the best receivers on their team.

These reservations that I have make me wonder if he what he would be capable of if we went to a more pass oriented offense. I think this is a question that should be answered before we pay him the big money. That is why I would be perfectly fine with just sitting back, and seeing how he does this year.

Think Matt Hasselbeck from 2003-2005. Sure, we had a more run biased offense, but even still we had an offense that was feared by other teams. This was accomplished with simple, but effective concepts. Hasselbeck took what was given to him, and was very good at going through his progressions, and getting into a rhythm. The result was that he was very good at converting third downs. I would like to see Wilson do the same thing, make a quick, decisive decision to keep the ball moving. Overall that would really increase his efficiency.

per FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS

1. Aaron Rodgers 81%
2. Tony Romo 77.8%
3. Russell Wilson 75.3%
4. Tom Brady 65.9%
5. Peyton Manning 62.9%

This could be one of the reasons, however one cannot ignore the fact that these lineman have the hardest job in the NFL when it comes to pass blocking. Pass blocking is very much so a symbiotic relationship. Bad lines can look serviceable with the right QB, it all comes down to three things on the QB's part. How the Quarterback manipulates the pocket, how long the Quarterback holds onto the ball, and pre-snap adjustments. All of these aforementioned traits are missing in Wilson's game.

Wilson does not know how to manipulate the pocket. This is perhaps his greatest flaw as an NFL QB. Wilson will stay just outside of the pocket, he rarely steps into it. This allows a more direct route for edge rushers to get their hands on Wilson. If you're pass blocking for a QB such as Brady, he will step up in the pocket, making the tackles job much easier. It allows them to direct the pass blockers up the field using their own momentum, giving the passer more time to find a receiver. Of course, we all know how Wilson gets around this flaw, and that is his mobility. Unfortunately this method cuts the field and half, and drastically affects the players vision on the field. It is a double edged sword, and I definitely have noticed that Wilson has been not seeing open receivers. I think this right here is the reason.

Wilson does very little at the LOS. If you see Manning, Brady, Rodgers, hell, even Romo line up at the LOS they are directing traffic, or changing plays to a more favorable match-up based on what a defense is doing. This also will greatly affect the pressure that is put on a QB. Even when Wilson was given more leeway to do this towards the end of the year he really struggled in this area. This is also a skill that will reduce the amount of pressure that a Quarterbacks pressure.

Wilson has also held on to the ball the LONGEST out of any QB in the NFL for three years straight. This plays a big role in sack totals, and pressures. This is a strength of Wilson's but it is also a weakness. This kind of playing style is reckless, and leads to more QB hits, and pressures. I'm not saying his mobility shouldn't be used, it just shouldn't be his fallback option for every situation. He is all too comfortable with bailing out of the pocket at the first sign of trouble, and improvising. This will lead to big plays, but it will also lead to inconsistency, missed receivers and stalled drives.

While our line was bad this season, Wilson did little, to nothing to alleviate the situation from a technical prospective. Instead he just fell back on his natural scrambling ability to get the job done. I'm frustrated, because Wilson has not shown much progress on his pocket management in three years. This will ultimately lead to a streaky passing game if it is not addressed. If Wilson develops a short, rhythmic, passing game, if he learns how to exploit other areas of the field other than the sidelines, he will be perhaps the best Quarterback in the league. I'm not wanting him to become a completely different player, I'm wanting him to master the fundamentals of the Quarterback position. If he can overcome this hurdle I can guarantee that teams will truly fear the Seahawks offense every time they take the field.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
McGruff":3fqurmda said:
Spin Doctor":3fqurmda said:
McGruff":3fqurmda said:
What you want is a different offense. We don't run a true WCO like Hass and Holmgren ran. We rely on running the ball and getting big plays off the playaction. We don't do short quick timing routes. That's not Wilson's fault. That our scheme design.

And BTW our current offense is the most prolific in team history. No joke.
I don't want a true WCO offense, I would just like Wilson to take what he is given. I always get the impression that he is after a big knockout play. This is not a concept that is unique to the WCO.

But he's doing what Pete and John him to do. Take shots. If you don't like it, fine. But don't blame Wilson for doing what his coaches want him to do.
How do we KNOW that is what he wants them to do? In college, Pete's offenses ran plenty of short, timing routes, and had plenty of check down, and short options on third down. Bevell also comes from a traditional west coast offense background. I understand that Pete Carroll does like to go deep to loosen up the run game, but on third downs they also run a variety of short routes along with their deep ones as well. Bevell has tried to integrate timing routes, and quick throws with a limited success.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
Fade":13vjzacq said:
Spin Doctor":13vjzacq said:
scutterhawk":13vjzacq said:
Fade":13vjzacq said:
russ22.gif

Another amazing play.

RWBEASTMODE0

per FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS

1. Aaron Rodgers 81%
2. Tony Romo 77.8%
3. Russell Wilson 75.3%
4. Tom Brady 65.9%
5. Peyton Manning 62.9%

great post but he does not want facts, he only wants to hate Wilson and blame him. FYI Hass played behind one of the best olines in the NFL unlike Wilson who has played behind one of the worse pass blocking olines. But hey like I said we do not want facts to get in the way of his hate.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Anthony!":2xlg63r2 said:
great post but he does not want facts, he only wants to hate Wilson and blame him. FYI Hass played behind one of the best olines in the NFL unlike Wilson who has played behind one of the worse pass blocking olines. But hey like I said we do not want facts to get in the way of his hate.
See this statement right here? This is why nobody takes anything you say seriously. You're acting like a bratty child who isn't getting his way. You automatically put the label of hater, or "not a true fan" on anyone who holds a differing belief to yourself. You are not even trying to make a rebuttal on any of my claims, instead you're resulting to petty, grade school level insults.

Not to say you never make valid arguments because you do, but when you pull petty sh** like this out, you will get the same response in return. If you think I'm wrong, MAKE A COUNTER ARGUMENT don't just resort to petty digs, and insults. You're making yourself look like a spoiled rotten, bratty 10 year old who isn't getting his way. It is very sad, really.

grizbob

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":lp0n2sml said:
Arguably one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game. A sure-fire Hall Of Fame first ballot inductee.

giphy.gif

:lol: :th2thumbs:

BadgerVid

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2oydfurf said:
Scrambling is only one part of Wilson, and every other QB's game. Pointing at one (albeit spectacular) play as evidence that Wilson is amongst the best QB's in the NFL (top 5) is not the best way to evaluate Wilson, or any player...

Excuse me if I am wrong, but wasn't that play shown in the context of arguing that 4/5 in mobility was ludicrous? I wasn't aware it was used as evidence that he was a top 5 overall QB...I believe there are other factors that do so and obviously you do not, but let's not misrepresent what others are saying.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think Spin Doctor is right on two things and wrong on the rest.

First, Russell does hold the ball longer than average, even without pressure. This is a function of two things. The first is scheme and the second is trust. We simply don't run a lot of outlet routes, quick hitches or slants. We run longer downfield and crossing route that take longer to develop. That's not his fault. But I do think his cautiousness sometimes causes him to doubt his own ability to hit tight windows and his receivers ability to go after the ball. He's got to develop this trust and learn to take the risk.

Second, his scrambling does make it difficult for his line to keep track of him. Just look at some of those scrambles posted above and watvch what the linemen have to go through, sometimes for 10-15 seconds. And they have to think about the LOS and not get too far beyond and get the penalty. Its pretty insane and the linemen themselves have admitted as much. They've had to adjust their mentality from blocking a spot and a count to staying with a man.

But I notice that people tend to use this word, "Symbiotic," and make it mean what it does not. We tend to use it about a partnership, but then use it to make a case why it is one side's fault and not the other's. Lynch and Wilson have a symbiotic effect on each other, therefore Wilson's success is all because of Lynch (or vice versa). The OL and QB have a symbiotic effect, therefore the stuggles in pass pro are all Wilson's fault and not the OL (or vice versa). That is not what symbiosis means. It means they effect each other, benefit each other, and are tied so closely to each other that sometimes its hard to tell how the effect works. Does Wilson get pressured more because he holds the ball too long, or is he holding the ball longer because he's scrambling from immediate pressure while looking downfield?

I will say this, so far the case Spin Doctor has made makes me wonder how Wilson has even survived in this league at all, much less broken every record possible for a 3rd year QB while leading us to three NFC championship games, 2 Superbowls and one World Championship. To hear him describe Wilson you'd think he was more like Curtis Painter than Joe Montana. So far we have the following criticisms:

1. He's inconsistent
2. He can't throw on the run
3. He's hesitant
4. He's inaccurate
5. He can't throw short passes
6. He doesn't see the field
7. He can't manage a pocket
8. He can't make pre-snap reads
9. He holds the ball too long
10. He plays reckless
11. He only throws one route

Seriously, if that was scouting report, this player wouldn't be employable on any level of football, and yet these are the things being said about Wilson in this thread alone. Some are valid. Some are distortions. Some are outright false. Many, however, can be attributed to the truly symbiotic relationship between coach, QB, line and receivers, and any reasonable fan would admit that our coaching is at least occasionally suspect, our line sucks at pass protection (they are built that way somewhat intentionally), and our receivers range from #3 types to fringe roster players. Sure, Wilson sometimes plays like a young QB, but let's not put any of this in a vacuum. Aside from Lynch, Wilson is playing with a short deck here.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Wilson is not without flaws but so does everyone else.

I will take the wins, the flaws and the incredible competitiveness . The bottom line is winning that that what we have been doing and even though Wilson is not the traditional pocket passer he is actually pretty damn good there also.

Wilson is a game changer, that's all I want is someone who puts incredible pressure on a defense all game long. The combination of him, Lynch and now hopefully Jimmy Graham will be a nightmare for opposing teams.

McGruff

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":2k646s3i said:

I will take the wins, the flaws and the incredible competitiveness . The bottom line is winning that that what we have been doing and even though Wilson is not the traditional pocket passer he is actually pretty damn good there also.

Wilson is a game changer, that's all I want is someone who puts incredible pressure on a defense all game long. The combination of him, Lynch and now hopefully Jimmy Graham will be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Wilson's critics tend to focus too much on the flaws and not on the contributions. Like many curmudgeons, they like the old school pocket passer who nickles and dimes his way downfield. And that's fine, but its not Russell Wilson and its not really what Pete and Darrell have said they want to do.

In 2005, the peak of Holmgren's traditional offensive success, the Seahawks scored 28 points a game and racked up 5900 yards of total offense. Matt Hasselbeck accounted for 3600 yards of that.

In 2014, the Seahawks scored 24 points a game with over 6000 yards of total offense. Russell Wilson accounted for 4300 yards of that offense.

I think we need to recognize that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and Wilson has been skinning a lot of cats these last three years.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
scutterhawk":zrmpr6l0 said:

Because there's more to being ELITE than running around making defenders look silly?

Of course I am the type that is really picky with that terminology. Wilson is great, but I think Rodgers is elite.

When Wilson is consistently great in the passing game (you know, the biggest thing QB's do...) then sure.. the elite thing can be considered. He's not there yet though. May never be. And that's fine, he's already proven he's capable enough in that department to win a Super Bowl and come a yard away from another one.

Too many people are obsessed with greatest ever, elite, Top 5, Top 10, bla bla bla. Russell Wilson is a very good player and thats all that really needs to be said.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
BadgerVid":2w2ozrht said:
Spin Doctor":2w2ozrht said:
Scrambling is only one part of Wilson, and every other QB's game. Pointing at one (albeit spectacular) play as evidence that Wilson is amongst the best QB's in the NFL (top 5) is not the best way to evaluate Wilson, or any player...

Excuse me if I am wrong, but wasn't that play shown in the context of arguing that 4/5 in mobility was ludicrous? I wasn't aware it was used as evidence that he was a top 5 overall QB...I believe there are other factors that do so and obviously you do not, but let's not misrepresent what others are saying.

Good luck with that.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
McGruff":10pvukhd said:
I think Spin Doctor is right on two things and wrong on the rest.

First, Russell does hold the ball longer than average, even without pressure. This is a function of two things. The first is scheme and the second is trust. We simply don't run a lot of outlet routes, quick hitches or slants. We run longer downfield and crossing route that take longer to develop. That's not his fault. But I do think his cautiousness sometimes causes him to doubt his own ability to hit tight windows and his receivers ability to go after the ball. He's got to develop this trust and learn to take the risk.

Second, his scrambling does make it difficult for his line to keep track of him. Just look at some of those scrambles posted above and watvch what the linemen have to go through, sometimes for 10-15 seconds. And they have to think about the LOS and not get too far beyond and get the penalty. Its pretty insane and the linemen themselves have admitted as much. They've had to adjust their mentality from blocking a spot and a count to staying with a man.

But I notice that people tend to use this word, "Symbiotic," and make it mean what it does not. We tend to use it about a partnership, but then use it to make a case why it is one side's fault and not the other's. Lynch and Wilson have a symbiotic effect on each other, therefore Wilson's success is all because of Lynch (or vice versa). The OL and QB have a symbiotic effect, therefore the stuggles in pass pro are all Wilson's fault and not the OL (or vice versa). That is not what symbiosis means. It means they effect each other, benefit each other, and are tied so closely to each other that sometimes its hard to tell how the effect works. Does Wilson get pressured more because he holds the ball too long, or is he holding the ball longer because he's scrambling from immediate pressure while looking downfield?

I will say this, so far the case Spin Doctor has made makes me wonder how Wilson has even survived in this league at all, much less broken every record possible for a 3rd year QB while leading us to three NFC championship games, 2 Superbowls and one World Championship. To hear him describe Wilson you'd think he was more like Curtis Painter than Joe Montana. So far we have the following criticisms:

1. He's inconsistent
2. He can't throw on the run
3. He's hesitant
4. He's inaccurate
5. He can't throw short passes
6. He doesn't see the field
7. He can't manage a pocket
8. He can't make pre-snap reads
9. He holds the ball too long
10. He plays reckless
11. He only throws one route

Seriously, if that was scouting report, this player wouldn't be employable on any level of football, and yet these are the things being said about Wilson in this thread alone. Some are valid. Some are distortions. Some are outright false. Many, however, can be attributed to the truly symbiotic relationship between coach, QB, line and receivers, and any reasonable fan would admit that our coaching is at least occasionally suspect, our line sucks at pass protection (they are built that way somewhat intentionally), and our receivers range from #3 types to fringe roster players. Sure, Wilson sometimes plays like a young QB, but let's not put any of this in a vacuum. Aside from Lynch, Wilson is playing with a short deck here.

Great post spot on.

OP
OP
Anthony!

Anthony!

Reaction score
McGruff":1lv683sg said:
EntiatHawk":1lv683sg said:

Wilson's critics tend to focus too much on the flaws and not on the contributions. Like many curmudgeons, they like the old school pocket passer who nickles and dimes his way downfield. And that's fine, but its not Russell Wilson and its not really what Pete and Darrell have said they want to do.

In 2005, the peak of Holmgren's traditional offensive success, the Seahawks scored 28 points a game and racked up 5900 yards of total offense. Matt Hasselbeck accounted for 3600 yards of that.

In 2014, the Seahawks scored 24 points a game with over 6000 yards of total offense. Russell Wilson accounted for 4300 yards of that offense.

I think we need to recognize that there is more than one way to skin a cat, and Wilson has been skinning a lot of cats these last three years.

Agreed one misissue is the whole pocket passer thing. I and others, as well as experts have shown facts and stats showing he is a very very good pocket passer. However because he does scramble so much, and they are attention grabbing people forget about his pocket passing. Then there are a select few who will always find fault even when it doe snot exist.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":20jv0o2j said:
scutterhawk":20jv0o2j said:

Because there's more to being ELITE than running around making defenders look silly?

Of course I am the type that is really picky with that terminology. Wilson is great, but I think Rodgers is elite.

When Wilson is consistently great in the passing game (you know, the biggest thing QB's do...) then sure.. the elite thing can be considered. He's not there yet though. May never be. And that's fine, he's already proven he's capable enough in that department to win a Super Bowl and come a yard away from another one.

Too many people are obsessed with greatest ever, elite, Top 5, Top 10, bla bla bla. Russell Wilson is a very good player and thats all that really needs to be said.
I'm not obsessed with him being considered an "ELITE", because he's already proven that he is.
He's done a hell of a lot more than "Running around making defenders look silly", You're omitting the fact that he also tallied up nearly 900 Yards in all that "Running around" last Season.
Wilson has come out the other side of a lot of broken plays with more success than the other top 4 Quarterbacks have, and let's be honest, Rodgers got hurt trying to make a play that Wilson has been making look pedestrian.
It's RW's abilities to scramble, and buy time for his non #1 Receivers to get open is something that has netted him two consecutive Super Bowl appearances, in a row, with one of those being a win, therefore, Wilson's ability to get there in just his first 3 Years in the League, and you don't consider him "ELITE" ? sorry, but I just don't happen to agree with your assessment.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1ghrd5wr said:
Hasselbeck":1ghrd5wr said:
scutterhawk":1ghrd5wr said:

I'm not obsessed with him being considered an "ELITE", because he's already proven that he is.
He's done a hell of a lot more than "Running around making defenders look silly", You're omitting the fact that he also tallied up nearly 900 Yards in all that "Running around" last Season.
Wilson has come out the other side of a lot of broken plays with more success than the other top 4 Quarterbacks have, and let's be honest, Rodgers got hurt trying to make a play that Wilson has been making look pedestrian.
It's RW's abilities to scramble, and buy time for his non #1 Receivers to get open is something that has netted him two consecutive Super Bowl appearances, in a row, with one of those being a win, therefore, Wilson's ability to get there in just his first 3 Years in the League, and you don't consider him "ELITE" ? sorry, but I just don't happen to agree with your assessment.

Running for 900 yards in a season is great, doesn't make him an elite quarterback though. Michael Vick would do that. Would you label him as elite back in the day?

Russell needs improvement in the passing game to be considered elite (or Top 2-3 in the game). Period. It's his abilities to scramble that mask a lot of things he needs to work on as a thrower too. Especially considering, running QB's do not have long shelf lives.

In 7 of Wilson's 16 games last year.. he didn't crack 200 yards passing. In those games, he only went over 100 yards rushing once (Giants) and outside of his 71 yards against the Chiefs, didn't eclipse 35 yards in any of the other games.

Then you look at Rodgers.. 4 times he didn't go over 200 yards passing, 3 of those resulted in losses.. the other he was done at half-time in a blowout over Minnesota. 8 times he went over 300 yards. 10 times over 250.

That's the difference between really good/great and elite. Not a knock on Russ at all, because 28.. 29.. 30 other teams would kill for Aaron Rodgers.. but Wilson is simply not there yet.

Latest posts