Wilson could sign a 1 year,15 mill contract ? hope news true

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
I don't think this deal would be more beneficial to the hawks than a Brady type contract with low cap hits but huge bonuses.

But if they can't do the Brady type deal ? ...this will work as a secondary option.

As long as Schneider figures out a way to keep the cap hit the lowest so they can fix the pass game & red zone woes. The defense is already #1.

Anthony!

Reaction score

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":108zbf7y said:
Anthony!":108zbf7y said:
brendonkuhn":108zbf7y said:
A 1/$15mil deal would not really help the Seahawks all that much. If he signs a long term deal, his year 1 cap hit would likely be under $8mil. A 1 year deal would mean equal cap hit ($15mil). It would be a massive concession on Russell's part, as he could command 80mil guaranteed, but I can't see this happening as it's not a huge benefit to the Seahawks cap situation.

Also, to the question about losing Russ in 2016 if he signed a 1 year deal, don't worry about it. Seattle could franchise him and avoid any chance of Russell hitting the market. Simply put, he's not going anywhere regardless of how this offseason plays out with his contract.

I guarantee you they will not tag him, if they did he would hold out till the cap was taken off and then be gone. Anyone who thinks they would tag him and it stand would be fooling himself.
You keep making this ridiculous fictions guarantee. What exactly are you basing it off of?

several things

1 they do have not used the tag and have stated the do not ever want to
2 it has been done before, were players held out until the team took the tag off the board
3 it is really his only recourse

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":357eylh3 said:
Anthony!":357eylh3 said:
brendonkuhn":357eylh3 said:
A 1/$15mil deal would not really help the Seahawks all that much. If he signs a long term deal, his year 1 cap hit would likely be under $8mil. A 1 year deal would mean equal cap hit ($15mil). It would be a massive concession on Russell's part, as he could command 80mil guaranteed, but I can't see this happening as it's not a huge benefit to the Seahawks cap situation.

Also, to the question about losing Russ in 2016 if he signed a 1 year deal, don't worry about it. Seattle could franchise him and avoid any chance of Russell hitting the market. Simply put, he's not going anywhere regardless of how this offseason plays out with his contract.

I guarantee you they will not tag him, if they did he would hold out till the cap was taken off and then be gone. Anyone who thinks they would tag him and it stand would be fooling himself.

:lol:

I guarantee you he won't be tagged either, because he will be signed a long time before it ever reached that point.

But yeah Anthony.. this FO would totally let a Super Bowl winning QB walk in FA with absolutely no compensation or backup plan in place. Good call.

First I doubt it comes to that, 2nd what choice would they have, if he holds out this season, because they have not signed him and the tag is on the table they will have 3 choices, take the tag off the table, get a long term deal done, or enjoy a 7-9 at best team knowing your 12+ wins is sitting at home because you wanted to tag him instead of singing him long term. I never said they would do it, only if they did what Would happen.

No NFL player is going to play under the Tag if they have a choice. And Wilson holds more of the cards than the Hawks do. That said I doubt it goes that way, I am sure he will sign this off season

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Anthony!":99r6n122 said:
Hawkfan77":99r6n122 said:
Basis4day":99r6n122 said:
And real quick about endorsements.

NFL players don't make nearly has much off of them as many fans assume.
In his third year in the league, Russell made 7 million last year.

Ahh not form his football salary he did not

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... ll-wilson/

Endorsements maybe but that has no baring on his NFL contract at all
Ummm...I quoted Basis who mentioned endorsements. Thought it was extremely obvious to everyone the 7 mil was in reference to his comment about off the field endorsements... :roll:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Anthony!":35qip6i8 said:
Hawkfan77":35qip6i8 said:
Anthony!":35qip6i8 said:
brendonkuhn":35qip6i8 said:

You keep making this ridiculous fictions guarantee. What exactly are you basing it off of?

several things

1 they do have not used the tag and have stated the do not ever want to
2 it has been done before, were players held out until the team took the tag off the board
3 it is really his only recourse
When have they said they never want to use the FT? I'm unaware of that comment from Schneider

kearly

Reaction score
I'm all for offseason discussion, and I don't mind threads about Wilson's contract. That said, worrying about Wilson's next deal is a waste of time. Here's why:

First, Wilson is under contract for 2015 at a very low number. This allows Seattle the freedom to discuss his next contract all Spring, all Summer, maybe even after the 2015 season starts. This means Seattle can go out and sign Suh, trade for Marshall, and/or sign Julius Thomas this offseason, and then come back to Wilson later with a contract offer that moves around the money in such a way that they can pay the bills in 2016 and beyond. And with the cap rising by over $10 million a year lately, this affords Seattle the opportunity to be aggressive in FA this year.

Basically, there is no rush to sign Wilson, and it only makes sense that they will see how the rest of free agency plays out. Remember how Earl Thomas was the top priority last offseason? Guess what, he was the last guy to sign, because the team knew he wasn't going anywhere and wanted to work out other less important things first. It will be the same for Wilson.

And even if something weird happens and Seattle can't find a way to extend Russell, he's gone on record saying he wants to play his whole career in Seattle and would be very unlikely to leave in free agency. Plus, it would never come to that since the franchise tag number for QBs is shockingly reasonable, it was only $16.192 million in 2014.

Really, we don't have to worry about Russell's situation. He simply isn't going anywhere, and with the cap rising at breakneck speed, he's not going to hamper our cap nearly as much as people think he will.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":3g8ifh12 said:
And even if something weird happens and Seattle can't find a way to extend Russell, he's gone on record saying he wants to play his whole career in Seattle and would be very unlikely to leave in free agency. Plus, it would never come to that since the franchise tag number for QBs is shockingly reasonable, it was only $16.192 million in 2014.

While true.. come 2016.. that number will be quite a bit higher since Luck, Newton and others are also up for extension.

I don't disagree that they'd franchise him in such a scenario.. just that that figure will probably be closer to 20M a year than 16.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
I find it amazing that some people are so mad that hawks found a good QB.

They say Wilson is not the reason for the hawks record...but hawks fans remember the 7-9 season that became a winning season after Wilson took command of the team and injected belief into the entire team.

Who remembers the players glowingly talking up Wilson in his rookie preseason ???

Who remembers " why not us " ?

Who remembers Flynn throwing 6 TDs with packers WRs,yet could not do squat with hawks WRs ???

ivotuk

Reaction score
Please refrain from creating duplicate threads. You even used the same link as the original post. Adding an extra link and speculative information does not make it a whole new topic.

You also put information in your title that could be considered bait & switch. I found no such "news" that said "1 year"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108651

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts