Reaction score
Fade":3mrvtnyd said:
Popeyejones":3mrvtnyd said:
Fade":3mrvtnyd said:
King Dog":3mrvtnyd said:
What do you think is happening?

I want your opinion.

Well, nobody wants my opinion, but I'll jump in and give it. :lol:

There's nothing special going on in the Seahawks' two minute offense, what changes is the defense.

So, let's not talk about two minute offense, let's talk about the Bears and two minute defense.

BEFORE HALFTIME:

If you're up by 10 and going into 2 minute defense, holding the offense to a 56 yard field goal attempt is essentially a stalemate. A TD or a 30-40 yard field goal would be a win for the offense, and no FG attempt would be a win for the defense. In a two minute defense your trading yards for the clock draining down.

END OF GAME:

If you're up by 14 with 3 minutes left, and can grind the clock so that you're up by 1 touchdown with 15 seconds left, that's a win for the defense. At the end of the game you're trading yards and even points for the clock draining down.

Basically, a team running their two minute defense is an invitation to an offense to pad their stats in exchange for the clock running out. It's why defenses leave the 5-7 yard pass to the RB over the middle entirely open -- if the RB doesn't break a tackle and gain more than 10 yards that is a win for the defense. It's a weird thing in which a RB dropping that pass is actually less favorable for the defense (it stops the clock) than the RB catching the pass and getting tackled under 10 yards.

Put another way, the Seahawks, like every other team, are more successful moving the ball in a two minute offense not because of them, but because the situation causes defenses to INVITE THEM to move the ball in exchange for clock time.

Good theory, but if you watched last season, they only consistently saw prevent against Tennessee, Jax, at home against the Rams (which he ended up doing nothing in.) They were in every game save for those 3 which he padded his stats in 2 of them verses prevent. Please account for the other 13 games, bearing in mind the Rams game actually hurt his stats.

Now account for the sacks. Why is he getting sacked far more in the 1st qtr than the 4th qtr?
4th qtr sacked only 3 times ? When everyone knows you're throwing it? In 13 games he wasn't consistently seeing prevent, they either had the lead, or were right there within a score, or two.

Just look at the Bears game.

17 points scored during "Russ Ball", sacked 1 time. Yes a garbage time TD at the end. still makes it.

10 points, 1 sack

vs.

0 points during "Pete Ball" sacked 5 times.

Read the article I linked. Wilson is being square pegged, round holed by a dated scheme.

My final thought is this. If you were any other team in the NFL. The Chiefs, The Patriots, The Browns, The Bills, it doesn't matter. Would you want to run Pete Carroll's Offensive Scheme? Put yourself in their shoes. The answer will quickly be HELL NO!

I've discussed Carroll's preferred offense with my coworker day in and day out! Analyzed why the "West Coast Offense" would help and keep coming back to is it Carroll's fault or is Wilson himself unable to run a more traditional WCO. The shorter quick pass game seems it would definitely alleviate some stalls and benefit the run game but I also think Carroll's pedigree would make using this offense almost automatic so what gives? Who's offense it really? Is it Carroll's or have they thought about using this offense but Wilson is unable to run it (for whatever reason) proficiently?

I wanna say it's the former but this would mean, the only way the Seahawks make any "real changes" to their offense is letting Carroll go.

Eventually Carroll's time will be up as HC but I'm not sure if Paul Allen believes it to be this year.

And then the billion dollar question would be who is the successor to Carroll?!?!?

TreeRon

Reaction score
King Dog":v3gp40bm said:
It's odd. Now at nearly 30 he doesn't have the wheels like he did at one time to get out of trouble. I'm really disappointed he hasn't taken steps to become a dynamic pocket passer.

He seemed fast enough to catch up with prince amukamara a DB who by his position is supposed to be one of the faster guys on the field.

Why is it sooooo important that he become a traditional "pocket passer"? Is it because everybody says that's what GOOD QB's do? IMO, most pocket passers are pocket passers because they can't run faster than a 5 flat 40.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Anyone who think RW has hit the wall is an idiot. QB's aren't baseball players, they don't just fall off. Name a great QB who just fell off in his prime? His struggles are a product of the team around him. Give him the line he had as a rookie and he'd be one of the best players in the league. You can't expect him to play well right now, he has no line and his #1 WR is more of a #3 WR. Put Lockett on any team and he isn't playing in two WR sets. Also, he is in the first year with a new offensive coordinator, he needs time to learn.

Fade

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":ke223aj9 said:
Eventually Carroll's time will be up as HC but I'm not sure if Paul Allen believes it to be this year.

And then the billion dollar question would be who is the successor to Carroll?!?!?

Pete needs to be extended at the end of the year. If it's the same old song & dance post 49, I do not see Paul Allen extending him.

I only see if by miracle Pete accepts to only focus on being the HC, and focus on defense. (strip him of his power.) You even think about signing him to an extension. Not very likely Pete would ever accept such terms.

Taking the keys away from grandpa is the only scenario I see being successful for the Seahawks going forward. Or he is going to keep crashing the car, over & over again.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Not without fault. But seriously blame the one guy that has single handily done and won more with less is asinine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decimation

Reaction score
I’m not trying to be a pessimist by any means, but Pete has to go.

I love that he brought us a Super Bowl win, almost TWO, but the NFL consists of “what have you done lately?”

It’s not a good situation by any means. Pete needs to change things up and get our offense rolling so we can win some games. What he’s working with isn’t working. Let Russ take the ropes and see if he’s worth the $30 million/year contract.

Does this suck? Yup. Pete has done amazing things for this franchise. But it’s time to move on to younger blood that can turn us around. We could be 2-0 easily, but dumb decisions on offense have costed us games.

Improve the o-line... somehow. Find ways to utilize RW and maximize his potential. The offense has been horrid to watch since Marshawn left.

kf3339

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1ye86xdc said:
Fade":1ye86xdc said:
King Dog":1ye86xdc said:
Fade":1ye86xdc said:
What do you think is happening when they go to their 2 min offense?

What do you think is happening?

I want your opinion.

Well, nobody wants my opinion, but I'll jump in and give it. :lol:

There's nothing special going on in the Seahawks' two minute offense, what changes is the defense.

So, let's not talk about two minute offense, let's talk about the Bears and two minute defense.

BEFORE HALFTIME:

If you're up by 10 and going into 2 minute defense, holding the offense to a 56 yard field goal attempt is essentially a stalemate. A TD or a 30-40 yard field goal would be a win for the offense, and no FG attempt would be a win for the defense. In a two minute defense your trading yards for the clock draining down.

END OF GAME:

If you're up by 14 with 3 minutes left, and can grind the clock so that you're up by 1 touchdown with 15 seconds left, that's a win for the defense. At the end of the game you're trading yards and even points for the clock draining down.

Basically, a team running their two minute defense is an invitation to an offense to pad their stats in exchange for the clock running out. It's why defenses leave the 5-7 yard pass to the RB over the middle entirely open -- if the RB doesn't break a tackle and gain more than 10 yards that is a win for the defense. It's a weird thing in which a RB dropping that pass is actually less favorable for the defense (it stops the clock) than the RB catching the pass and getting tackled under 10 yards.

Put another way, the Seahawks, like every other team, are more successful moving the ball in a two minute offense not because of them, but because the situation causes defenses to INVITE THEM to move the ball in exchange for clock time.

^ Very true statement!

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Seattle's problems are simple . A very poor offensive line and no star players on offense other than Wilson who is doing what he can but so far it hasn't been enough. An OC that's trying to make Wilson a pocket passer foolish given our lack of talent up front and at the skill positions on offense. Defensively they have been good so far. Seattle really needs a win this Sunday. Apparently Penny will share carries with Carson that's what Pete and Brian said was going to be the case against Dallas we'll see how that plays out.

Decimation

Reaction score
NINEster":1xjsjor9 said:
Trade for Leveon Bell.

Problem solved.

And pay for another player who’s focused on maximizing their bank account?

No thanks. Great player, but we need players who are motivated to kick ass.