Wilson's agent, "He took less so Seahawks could keep Wagner"

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2ibodse5 said:
The deal is really only "team-friendly" in the sense that Seattle was able to capitalize on the last year of Wilson's 3rd-round contract to decrease the average cap hit. It really has nothing to do with what Rodgers/Wilson did at negotiation (besides actually accepting this offseason rather than next). In terms of new money, I think it's right at market for an extension.

Could he have made more this year? IMO, no. He got exactly what many had been projecting this entire off-season -- a 21-22M/yr contract that put him in the Top 3 (but not #1). But Russell did do a favor to the team by actually signing the deal, because the uncertainty surrounding his free agency and/or franchise number would've made it harder to project the cap for Wagner. So, for that, I am grateful.

I see it in a "door #1 / door #2" sense. Door #2 would have made a lot more money, but required some patience, and hurt the team a lot more.

Wilson wants money, he's secure, and he's patient. So most expected he'd go for the 2nd option.

And yet he took door #1. Based on the way Russell operates and the security he had in place, I think it is very likely that he made this choice for the betterment of the team. Maybe it's not a 'discount' in the strictest sense, but he could have gone the A-Rod / Cano way and didn't. I think that's pretty cool of him, and the cynicism by some about his motives are way off base in my opinion.

Seattle will eat a little bit of cap space this year for Russ, but from 2016 to 2019 his APY is going to be close to $20 million. So it's basically about a $4-5 million APY difference for the team by having him sign now. It's a pretty big win for JS, and I am very pleasantly surprised that Wilson went for it. Even when factoring out the cheap year and cap spreading, Wilson would have made likely about 15% more in APY new money next year by waiting.

I've been hearing talk that Eli Manning (age 34) and Philip Rivers (age 33) could both be getting extensions later this month that would pay them more in new money APY than what Wilson just got. We might not even have to wait for season kickoff for Wilson's deal to feel like a bargain.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Wow a lot of people here assuming a lot stuff which none of us know squat about.

Facts are that RW signe a pretty team friendly deal considering if he really wanted to play hardball he could of. So RW and his agent were not that bad afterall.

It is quite normal that contracts do not get done till right at the very end. In truth Wilson could of keep on with the negotiation.

Latest posts