Wilson's agent, "He took less so Seahawks could keep Wagner"

Rob12

Reaction score
peppersjap":jflcrwd8 said:
Wilson signed a team friendly deal but if it was all about the team he would have signed earlier and for a little less. he did what was best for him which he should have. If he had waited until next year he would have lost the extra money he got this year. I'm happy with the way everything played out but my problem is when the agent runs his mouth after the fact. He is a baseball agent and they are the worst. If he was a true father figure to Wilson he would have represented him for free, he is an agent!

That being said, so happy the way things played out.........I am so pumped for this season!!!

He let the process play out... Something he has never done before. I think he handled it well. Perhaps you should lower your expectations on what players getting their second contract (historically the biggest one they'll ever sign/make) should act like.

No one works for free in this business - no one. My realtor is a good friend, and I've bought two houses and sold two with him, but he makes damn sure he gets his piece of the pie at the end of the day.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
It's painfully obvious many here don't understand the job (and/or the value) of an agent. The agent is there for the client--writer, athlete, actor, whatever--, and works for their best interests. Period. Their best interests are not limited to MOAR MONEY! Their best interests are just that: the interests which best further the career and life of their client. They benefit from the financial side of it with a percentage, sure, but it's not all SHOW ME THE MONEY! that we all automatically assume is the case about agents. It's the whole package. The agent is there to help the player get not only the "best deal available" but also get the goals he's set for himself in life. It's much more than just "business is business".

Will Russell Wilson's career be better with Wagner and a couple million less per year over the long run, or will the additional money do him better? This isn't a cut-and-dried answer, and depends on the team, the player, the players surrounding him, and a lot of other circumstances. The agent is working to better the athlete's entire career, and if that means sacrificing a couple of million in salary to ensure a better shot at another championship run and better endorsements after, then that's the better course of action. I'd think Russell and his agent came to the conclusion that having a little extra money available to sign Wagner was more important in the long run to him than an extra million or so. That seems like a no-brainer, even from a non-agent perspective.

Is the agent working to enhance the player's PR? Most certainly. He may not necessarily be a PR guy, but image is part of the considerations. It's not a callous, heartless, calculated act to try and work for the best image for the player. IT's all a part of marketing him, just as anyone would do on a resume, a CV, an evaluation, whatever. Are they blowing smoke up people's asses? Yeah, of course they are, at least a little--that always happens in any job field, in any situation where someone has to list their assets and skills. But it's no more than anyone else trying to make themselves or a client look good, and it's not a bad thing to do so. It's "setting your best foot forward", as they say. Nothing more.

I have no doubt Wagner, and McDaniel, and every other player on the Seahawks' roster was taken into consideration. Yes, I'm sure they factored Wagner's potential contract in heavily; it plays into how well Wilson will do next year from a team perspective. Being on a winning team boosts a guy far more than being on a losing team, no matter how great the individual player is. Look at Barry Sanders. Great guy. Everyone considers him one of the best. Fades into the sunset because he played on a shitty never-was Lions team. A good agent recognizes this and won't let it happen to his client if he can help it.

So could Wilson have gotten a truckload more money by holding out and signing next year for a ton more? Most probably. Did he take a "team-friendly" deal by signing now, and at less than people thought he might? Again, probably. Was it in his best interest to do the latter rather than the former? I certainly think so. And that's why an agent does what an agent does. (S)he gets the best deal for the client, while taking into consideration the money, terms, rights, future considerations, and other factors.

And in this case, it was a well-thought-out win-win. We'd do well to celebrate this.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":286q5jbl said:
Scottemojo":286q5jbl said:
Somebody (would have had to be a team source) leaked that Russ came down 10 mil, or something like that, in his G'teed demands in the last 24 hours.

So the Agent, trying to get more football players to his agency, releases a counter statement to let everyone know why they came down.

Back in February, it was a common belief among GMs that Luck and Wilson would get $25 mil per. So for Wilson to end up with $3.1 mil less than that mark, and only $1.2 mil higher than the somewhat mediocre Cam Newton, it doesn't make Mark Rodgers look all that great does it?

I agree that there was definitely some spin on his message. There probably is some truth to it, but it's hard not to be cynical. Rodgers needed to excuse away what ended up being a lackluster negotiation on his part.
A better way of saying what I was thinking.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Part of me wonders if Russell told his agent to sit down to get a deal done. But none of us were there, so who knows

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's hilarious. People were whining BEFORE he signed the contract. Now they're still whining AFTER he signs the contract.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1z0xkn95 said:
theincrediblesok":1z0xkn95 said:
LymonHawk":1z0xkn95 said:
MontanaHawk05":1z0xkn95 said:
He took a discount just by signing this year.

I heard a comment on the radio today that went something like this: If RW was so serious about not playing this year, why did he purchase insurance, a month or so ago?

There was no way he wasn't going to play this year, that doesn't make any sense. He said he would play hard for 1.5m or even 25m. Also I heard he always purchase insurance, because he's been playing with a very low salary for the last 3 years.

Let me re-phrase that: :oops: If he intended to play this year for 1.5 mil, why would he have a $10 million insurance policy? That's closer to what I heard...I think.

I think that was smart on Wilson's part, he's always token an insurance out just took a bigger one out this year and people paid attention. Being a dual threat QB is very dangerous, and he's been hit many times more than most for the last 3 years. That Clay Matthew hits was very dangerous and could of ended his career, and if that had happened last year we would all be wondering how Wilson would ever get back on the field and how much little money he made from a career ending injury. I think he really took a look at it and said shoot if i get hurt this season i better take out a huge policy just in case it happens.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If her waited another year, or more, he very well could have made more. But there are some variables that make this statement not really a sure thing.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
I find it funny that people make comments like "Who cares, he signed already!?" Or "Stopping whining".

This is probably the most important extension in the franchise's history, and this is a message board....where people DISCUSS things Seahawks related. His agent made a claim that he took less than he could have gotten.. It's noteworthy.

If you don't care to discuss matters pertaining to Wilson's contract, then don't. But why waste your time posting one of these? :141847_bnono:

Tical21

Reaction score
If he didn't want to play for 1.5 million with no guarantees behind it, this was the deal. The second Cam Newton signed, 4 for 87 was the deal. We knew that for three months. Rodgers and Wilson had until the day camp started to make threats to try to get more, because that is all they could possibly do. So they postured and did a little whining and Schneider, correctly, knew they would sign the deal. This had zero to do with Wagner or anybody else. This was all about not wanting to play for 1.5 million dollars with no guarantees after that.

Say he gets 25 next year, and makes an extra $12 million over the next four years. Was that 12 million worth the risk, albeit minute, of losing it all? No way. This was the deal the whole time. We knew it, they knew it. The only thing that could ever change was the guarantee, and there is no way the Seahawks would have let that stand in the way.

This "he took less" is nothing more than a PR stunt to try to give Russell's image a few of the points back that you always lose during a prolonged contract negotiation.

Anthony!

Reaction score
So let me get this straight we are willing to believe unsubstantiated media rumor mongering, but we are not willing to believe something that came straight form the horses mouth. Hmm

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":3i2e09sd said:
So let me get this straight we are willing to believe unsubstantiated media rumor mongering, but we are not willing to believe something that came straight form the horses mouth. Hmm

I find it strange you are listening to horses.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Come on now Anthony!
It wasn't good enough when he didn't sign, now it's not good enough after he signed. :th2thumbs:

Anthony!

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":22vtw6hs said:
Come on now Anthony!
It wasn't good enough when he didn't sign, now it's not good enough after he signed. :th2thumbs:

So you believe all the media mongering of what was offered? so as I said factless rumor mongering is what you believe rather than what comes straight from someone directly involved. That is you choice. However I do not, and while I do not as a rule by everything from an agent, given it is Wilson who is the player I can believe it. I guess in the end I choose not to buy the media rumor mongering, and with that will choose to believe what comes straight from the people involved.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think Russell was afraid of the risk. He had millions in the bank already, plus an insurance policy. And how bad would that worst case scenario have to be to not get paid in 2016? Manning broke his neck and still got a top deal.

I don't think Wilson caved at all. At the end of the day, signing now helps the team. Wilson did not want to hurt the team for the sake of his ego. Him taking 100k less than he needed for #1 money proves that ego was not the priority for Wilson.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I always felt Russell will take the last best offer eventually before the self imposed deadline. If you look at it, the risk of playing on a rookie deal for one more year, is one year extra lost from making tonnes of money. Regardless of all the talk of playing out his rookie deal, it might have given him some extra million later on with so many unknowns like injury, ending up playing for team that is not better organized or not have all the ingredients to have a winning formula. Ultimately its a team sport, he must have weighed all the pros and cons and he really wanted to keep winning, and to support that, there are very few teams that are good could afford him, there are tonnes of teams that have the money that are not good. Playing on those conditions would be huge mountain to climb compared to an established winning organization.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Rusty was just waiting to hear from Holmgren. Once the Walrus endorsed, done deal.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The deal is really only "team-friendly" in the sense that Seattle was able to capitalize on the last year of Wilson's 3rd-round contract to decrease the average cap hit. It really has nothing to do with what Rodgers/Wilson did at negotiation (besides actually accepting this offseason rather than next). In terms of new money, I think it's right at market for an extension.

Could he have made more this year? IMO, no. He got exactly what many had been projecting this entire off-season -- a 21-22M/yr contract that put him in the Top 3 (but not #1). But Russell did do a favor to the team by actually signing the deal, because the uncertainty surrounding his free agency and/or franchise number would've made it harder to project the cap for Wagner. So, for that, I am grateful.