Wilson's Agent on right now with Brock and Salk

Tical21

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1mlvqhtz said:
Tical21":1mlvqhtz said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree, this is not good at all. If they can't reach an agreement and Russell is franchised for three years, we are going to have a four-year soap opera that is going to be terrible for everybody, and could potentially become volatile and cause some damage that can't be undone. The sides appear far too comfortable being so far apart. I know many will disagree with me, but I see a lot of this as Russell biting the hand that feeds him, not the other way around.

Yeah, it's going to be exactly like the Walter Jones situation that dragged on for years. Everyone hates that guy and he hates the Seahawks organization now because of it. It was just a disaster.

:sarcasm_off:
The only two things these situations had in common were that they both were dealing with the franchise tag, and they were both Seahawks.

Walt could've made 40 million on the open market, Russell could make 140 million on the open market. One was a really quiet guy, the other is everywhere and has a bit of small-man's. One needs to be at training camp, the other didn't. One was the best player in the league at his position and had earned a very long leash from the front office and fans alike. Also, there weren't limits yet on the franchise tag, so we could've tagged him every year. There was never a threat that he could eventually leave.

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2wk630gu said:
Tical21":2wk630gu said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree, this is not good at all. If they can't reach an agreement and Russell is franchised for three years, we are going to have a four-year soap opera that is going to be terrible for everybody, and could potentially become volatile and cause some damage that can't be undone. The sides appear far too comfortable being so far apart. I know many will disagree with me, but I see a lot of this as Russell biting the hand that feeds him, not the other way around.

Yeah, it's going to be exactly like the Walter Jones situation that dragged on for years. Everyone hates that guy and he hates the Seahawks organization now because of it. It was just a disaster.

:sarcasm_off:

LOL some people never change always a way to manipulate what was said to look bad on Wilson. Always the hater.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2walsjux said:
gowazzu02":2walsjux said:
I can also guarentee you he nor his client want to play at 1.5 this year and then get franchised the next 3 years. Especially with the brand of football RW plays. Let's be honest he opens himself up for much more punishment then the average qb.

Logically this makes sense, but I honestly don't get this impression from Russell. He's seems confident and content in his ability to escape serious injury.........and it has ZERO factor in the contract negotiations.

Now maybe that's just leverage talking, but if it is, Russell's certainly convincing.

As you say it is about leverage. The word negotiations is the key here. Anyone that has done negotiations realizes what you want to portray and what is the actual case may not be the same thing.

You want to portray a calmness and that you are fine waiting.

You realize the Seahawks really don't want RW to hit the free market nor have to use the franchise tag

You meanwhile absolutely don't want to continue playing without being guaranteed a WHOLE lot of cash

So you say you are fine meanwhile you are somewhere between very eager and desperate.

Russell wants a long term deal and needs it as much as the Seahawks wants it done.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Put briefly, the negotiations continue and neither side is panicked about them.

Everything else is simply spin.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Wilson is poised to make more money than a human being could realistically spend in his life and he wants even more. That's just weird to me, maybe it's because I'm not from the US and our culture is slightly different but I just find it strange to not be content with getting millions of dollars to live your dream.

The weirdest is that the nobody believed in the guy except for the Hawks and they gave him a chance, if they hadn't done that he might have been an obscure back-up in a system that doesn't fit him.

mikeak

Reaction score
Overseasfan":c4hzd7jo said:
Wilson is poised to make more money than a human being could realistically spend in his life and he wants even more. That's just weird to me, maybe it's because I'm not from the US and our culture is slightly different but I just find it strange to not be content with getting millions of dollars to live your dream.

The weirdest is that the nobody believed in the guy except for the Hawks and they gave him a chance, if they hadn't done that he might have been an obscure back-up in a system that doesn't fit him.

It is not that it is weird or that you are not from the US

It is that you don't know how to properly spend money!!!!!!!! :D

So without knowing where you are from - doesn't soccer players negotiate for a ton of money? After Bosman don't they get way more if they can go for free? and they do go after that money

Didn't Lewis Hamilton just sign for about $100 million?

This is not limited to US athletes

Basis4day

Reaction score
Overseasfan":ff6cu0li said:

It's not just about what he can do with the money. It's about the potential to set up his future kids and grandkids' futures as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Overseasfan":a9kpb98r said:

So what exactly is the magic dollar amount that doesn't make Russell greedy in your eyes?

I don't care what profession you're in, everyone wants to make as much money as possible. This is especially true of a cut throat industry like pro sports, and ESPECIALLY true of football where Russell's window to maximize his earnings is an average of 3-5 years.

Err, we took him in the 3rd round, so let's not anoint Pete and John saviors of poor no one believed in Russell Wilson. Even we didn't believe in him until 74 other players were taken.

Basis4day

Reaction score
mikeak":p88wcc3d said:
Overseasfan":p88wcc3d said:

It is not that it is weird or that you are not from the US

It is that you don't know how to properly spend money!!!!!!!! :D

So without knowing where you are from - doesn't soccer players negotiate for a ton of money? After Bosman don't they get way more if they can go for free? and they do go after that money

Didn't Lewis Hamilton just sign for about $100 million?

This is not limited to US athletes

Business Insider has Lionel Messi making $39 million U.S. in Salary alone last year.

mikeak

Reaction score
Overseasfan":274u5d2d said:

Alternatively you look at it like this

The weirdest thing is that Seahawks have been able to pay him 10% of what the best QBs are paid and he brought them three playoff seasons including one Superbowl win and one Superbowl trip. That led to increase in ticketprices, more advertisment revenue and a whole lot more money from around gameday tied to food, clothing etc

So why are they not willing to pay him for his past three years playing?

I personally look at it like a negotation which is standard and it will get solved. We are way early in this still and I won't be concerned until September.

The players don't get their worth due to the salary cap so there are team limitations. However even not getting their true worth they do get an obscene amount of money - good for them but it doesn't change things in my life one way or another

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Yeah alright but is it really that big of a problem to settle for something like 60-80 million in a four year timespan instead of a 100-120 million. It won't even be his last big contract and even with 60 million your lineage will be rich af for multiple generations anyway. In my opinion it's just nitpicking over recognition.

On the topic of it being a US thing every sport around has big contracts but in sports like soccer and F1 there usually aren't many long and streinous contract quarrels like they have in the NFL. I mean it's just way too common in the NFL that players aren't content with the enormous amount of money they are getting.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Overseasfan":sfg3uaig said:

This above is simply your perspective.

Wilson and his agent are still talking with the team, each side has their position. Wilson is a top level QB and deserves a top level contract, his agent and the team haven't yet agreed as to what that contract should be, nobody is yet upset about the negotiations except a few who think he should take a huge home town discount. This deal will happen when it happens. Wilson won't be free to go elsewhere.

McGruff

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1c40sh4g said:

Three things to keep in mind with Wilson . . .

1. He gives a lot away. The more he makes, the more he can give.

2. He wants to one day own a Pro franchise in either Baseball or Football (or both!), and that takes money. Lots and lots of money. Billions of dollars of money. You can't get to Billions without first making millions. As many millions as possible.

3. He's a human being living in America in the 21st century. More is always better. Especially when it comes to money.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Overseasfan":132l7y02 said:
Yeah alright but is it really that big of a problem to settle for something like 60-80 million in a four year timespan instead of a 100-120 million. It won't even be his last big contract and even with 60 million your lineage will be rich af for multiple generations anyway. In my opinion it's just nitpicking over recognition.

On the topic of it being a US thing every sport around has big contracts but in sports like soccer and F1 there usually aren't many long and streinous contract quarrels like they have in the NFL. I mean it's just way too common in the NFL that players aren't content with the enormous amount of money they are getting.

Do the major European leagues have a salary cap or can major programs like Manchester U and Barcelona pay the top players whatever they want?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
The franchise tag will not be used because a deal will be done way before that. There's seriously a freak out happening about what the FT might cost in 2018? Why?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the Salary Cap, it makes the sport the most exciting one in the world by giving everyone a chance unlike other big sports like basketball, soccer or baseball. The downside is that players can't have unlimited amounts of money like the best players in those other sports get. That's just something the players have to deal with to keep the integrity of the game intact and that one player can't receive the entire salary budget.

I'm not a retard, I completely understand where Wilson is coming from but the way he's going about it comes off a bit antagonistic.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Basis4day":1uzjyyij said:
Overseasfan":1uzjyyij said:

Do the major European leagues have a salary cap or can major programs like Manchester U and Barcelona pay the top players whatever they want?

No they don't, so the top teams win every year and an upset is nearly impossible. It's boring to be honest.

McGruff

Reaction score
Overseasfan":292qye0y said:
I am a huge fan of the Salary Cap, it makes the sport the most exciting one in the world by giving everyone a chance unlike other big sports like basketball, soccer or baseball. The downside is that players can't have unlimited amounts of money like the best players in those other sports get. That's just something the players have to deal with to keep the integrity of the game intact and that one player can't receive the entire salary budget.

I'm not a retard, I completely understand where Wilson is coming from but the way he's going about it comes off a bit antagonistic.

Weird. I haven't seen or hear any antagonism from either side at all. Not at all.

Unless firmly stating your desire is an attack. Maybe in Europe it is. But in America its just being honest.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1xmy2abh said:

I was waiting for the "Russell is greedy" comment. If that's the case then so are: Sherman, ET, Kam, Lynch, KJ, Avril, Bennett and Mebane among many others on the Hawks and every professional sports team. And you know what? They bring in billions so why shouldn't they want a piece of what they are actually worth?

It's almost like some feel that Russell is the first person in sports to ask for more money than what he was originally offered. It's called a negotiation, the team offers him something, Russell's agents demands more than he know he will get and they meet in the middle after a lot of posturing.

Latest posts