Wilson's Agent on right now with Brock and Salk

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2mwydkqj said:
I am a huge fan of the Salary Cap, it makes the sport the most exciting one in the world by giving everyone a chance unlike other big sports like basketball, soccer or baseball. The downside is that players can't have unlimited amounts of money like the best players in those other sports get. That's just something the players have to deal with to keep the integrity of the game intact and that one player can't receive the entire salary budget.

I'm not a retard, I completely understand where Wilson is coming from but the way he's going about it comes off a bit antagonistic.
The NBA does have a cap. MLB wants one but the PA will never allow it so they instituted the luxury tax.

mikeak

Reaction score
Overseasfan":luansfg2 said:
Basis4day":luansfg2 said:
Overseasfan":luansfg2 said:
Yeah alright but is it really that big of a problem to settle for something like 60-80 million in a four year timespan instead of a 100-120 million. It won't even be his last big contract and even with 60 million your lineage will be rich af for multiple generations anyway. In my opinion it's just nitpicking over recognition.

On the topic of it being a US thing every sport around has big contracts but in sports like soccer and F1 there usually aren't many long and streinous contract quarrels like they have in the NFL. I mean it's just way too common in the NFL that players aren't content with the enormous amount of money they are getting.

Do the major European leagues have a salary cap or can major programs like Manchester U and Barcelona pay the top players whatever they want?

No they don't, so the top teams win every year and an upset is nearly impossible. It's boring to be honest.

Which is why you don't have the back and forth issue the same way

Say that a club offers $20million for someone. The guy can get $50 million elsewhere so the club can match that area or let him go

In the end he probably doesn't care a huge amount of it turns out to be $49million or $51 million (your gap of $40 million not mattering will be ignored as I completely can't understand that thinking).

With a salary cap it is completely different. One team can offer him $50 million but another one may not or the other team wants to move the money or make it non-guaranteed or fit with other contracts etc etc. The complexities for the contracts are way higher in a salary cap league leading to complex negotiations

If the overall value offered was $100 and RW wanted $102 then I completely agree with your line of thinking. However I don't see any other athlete in the world doing anything significantly different and I don't think they should

The only reason to take less is if you feel that the team you stay with gives you an overall better position in life and earning value. This is a job and they should earn their money. The owners sure earns their share

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2tbx0dos said:
On the topic of it being a US thing every sport around has big contracts but in sports like soccer and F1 there usually aren't many long and streinous contract quarrels like they have in the NFL. I mean it's just way too common in the NFL that players aren't content with the enormous amount of money they are getting.

There's plenty of discontent in other sports, and every area of the world. There may not be a salary cap in big league sports like soccer (except MLS), but that doesn't stop players from complaining and being loaned, transferred or outright released.

I'm a big Liverpool fan, and Raheem Sterling's been complaining about his contract pretty much all year, and now might not even be back with the club if they don't give him what he thinks he's worth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... onest.html

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Basis4day":219reeuy said:
Sgt. Largent":219reeuy said:
Interesting interview.

Not anything earth shattering, but I did take away one thing, Russell and Rodgers are perfectly content in standing their ground and not panicking if Russell has to play for 1.5M this year.

Rodger's complimented Schneider on the way he's built the Hawks and does team friendly contracts to sustain a championship level team...............but pretty much said they're not budging on what Russell and he thinks he's worth. So any dreams of Russell taking a team friendly contract IMO are out the window. Sounds like Russell's just fine with being franchised for 2-3 years if something doesn't get done.

On the other hand he also said that the ongoing negotiations have been positive and encouraging and characterized that 95% of the speculation has probably been off-point.

My big take away is that QB contracts are a whole different beast than any other position in sports. These deals take time and it's not going to be choice between a Kaepernick style deal or Russell getting franchised multiple years.

These things take time.
You mean all of the hand wringing and anguish over tweets and rumors is all wasted?
:sarcasm_off:

brimsalabim

Reaction score
titan3131":6fbetyjf said:
WILSON WILL BE AT OTA TOMMOROW WOOOHOOO!!!!!!!!

Is he bringing Jimmy and Cliff?

Jimmy Cliff would get every one to OTAs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 2,046

Jville

Reaction score
Text quotes from Rogers and audio recording of interview >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/5/28/8679845/russell-wilsons-agent-mark-rodgers-talks-about-negotiations-with-the[/urltargetblank]

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
The only thing that would have really worried me is if Rogers had come on the air to point fingers at the team, say that it's all John Schneider's fault, stuff like that. As it is, he was very professional, very courteous to the team, and left me feeling better about the whole situation.

Brock and Salk interviewed former Bucs GM Mark Dominik in the third hour of their show and he he said that he was both impressed with Wilson's agent and confident that a deal would get done before or during training camp, for what it's worth.

NINEster

Reaction score
Little by little the choir boy image is eroding for Wilson.

And whatever the outcome of this negotiation, the NFC West will benefit.

Wilson gets overpaid, less money for Wagner et al. At a high enough price point does Wagner become a cap casualty?

Wilson gets "underpaid", and his unhappiness will come out somehow and negatively affect the team.

If I was a Seahawk fan I would be annoyed at Wilson.

If he wanted to "deserve" what he asks then he should have played better his final two games of the 2014 season. Bottom line, an "elite", "top 5" QB wins those games decisively for the Seahawks, no questions asked.

Jville

Reaction score
— "Neither side has any real deadlines. I know the public, and the fans, and some in the media have been a sense of urgency on this, but there really are no deadlines. Russell's under contract with the Seahawks. He absolutely — if he has to — would be fine playing his fourth-year under a four-year contract that he signed coming out, and then moving on from there. But again, I don't feel any real particular crunch on time, and any real particular deadlines. So, from a leverage point of view, from a threatening standpoint, it just doesn't feel that way."
[urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/5/28/8679845/russell-wilsons-agent-mark-rodgers-talks-about-negotiations-with-the[/urltargetblank]

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I take from the interview that it is more likely than not that no deal happens this off-season, and we should relax.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
NINEster":1fth59od said:

The only thing that's eroding your image of who you think Russell Wilson "really" is based on the narrative that you choose to listen to.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I am confident that a deal will get done, although for my (our) own comfort, I (we) wish it were done already. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that the agent said very clearly that his preference is to get his clients to FA in order to let the bidding process kick in. This backfires now and then, but rarely, if ever, for a franchise QB. I strongly believe this is the strategy they'll follow here.

Russell is going to get paid, so the only answer really is "when" and by "whom". Going off of the agent's remarks, "when" is likely not until after Year 4 at the very earliest (a bit of a gamble) and "by whom" is the top bidder. Recognizing that the franchise tag is not friendly to the Seahawks' cap, it seems pretty clear that the Wilson camp feels it has more leverage than the team. Wilson is quite content to gamble on his health and ability while making Top 5 average for a few years if it means getting to some number, and they clearly have a target.

The only way to guarantee some certainty with the team is to meet that number, and I suspect it is HUGE...not Aaron Roger's plus $1. Time will tell.

Jville

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3tp10lbl said:
I take from the interview that it is more likely than not that no deal happens this off-season, and we should relax.

Hawkstorian":3tp10lbl said:
NINEster":3tp10lbl said:

The only thing that's eroding your image of who you think Russell Wilson "really" is based on the narrative that you choose to listen to.
Unfortunately, we should also expect the same old trolls to include it as a focus for their personal flaming entertainment.

...................................................................................

Text quotes from Wilson's agent Rogers and audio recording of the interview >>> http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/5/28/867 ... s-with-the

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wow, the amount of people that don't like guy because he's "too nice" is strange to say the least. With all the crap going on around the NFL right now, some don't like him because they think he's too squeaky clean. :?:

NINEster

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":19qnbkyc said:
NINEster":19qnbkyc said:

We'll see.

The .NET narrative was always that he is not only the best or top 3 QB in the league but a better human being than the average Joe. Not everyone on here is like this, but even the supposedly neutral know it all Kearly buys into it.

I've never seen that narrative for a franchise QB ever in my life, and I've been watching the NFL since the mid '80s. Even Montana in his prime didn't get showered with this level of unconditional support. Only now long after he is retired is he looked at with such reverence.

That's why I find this normally silly thing to follow so fascinating.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The Niners have the biggest self centered, clueless idiot behind center in the league. Having a leader like Wilson, we are lucky. Someone being a good guy, oh the horror.
Would people like him if he got in trouble? Started being a loudmouth like Irvin etc? To each his/her own I guess.

Jville

Reaction score
NINEster":2225c5sd said:
Hawkstorian":2225c5sd said:
NINEster":2225c5sd said:

We'll see.

The .NET narrative was always that he is not only the best or top 3 QB in the league but a better human being than the average Joe. Not everyone on here is like this, but even the supposedly neutral know it all Kearly buys into it.

I've never seen that narrative for a franchise QB ever in my life, and I've been watching the NFL since the mid '80s. Even Montana in his prime didn't get showered with this level of unconditional support. Only now long after he is retired is he looked at with such reverence.

That's why I find this normally silly thing to follow so fascinating.

Your a flaming artist. Plain and simple.

Jville

Reaction score
Russell Wilson's agent on contract negotiations with Seahawks >>> [urltargetblank]http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9987807&p=1007&n=Brock%20and%20Salk[/urltargetblank]

....... the fans and the media are much more concerned about how we'll handle this than he is. This isn't what Russell and I talk about every day. This isn't something that is foremost on his mind. He's having a phenomenal offseason. As you know, he went to San Diego and hired a new trainer, a guy that's been amazing. He's working on his footspeed, just flat out speed; he doesn't want to get caught by defenses — by cornerbacks anymore, from behind. He's really worked on strengthening his body. Improving his body, improving his skills. His mindset is to go back to the Super Bowl and win, and really that's been the predominant mindset.

Seafan

Reaction score
Like I said a while ago. Nothing to see here. The Hawks have all the leverage. They have control of him for the next few years where Russ would take ALL the risk. I enjoyed the interview. I wouldn't be surprised if Russ played out his current contract.