Wilson's Agent on right now with Brock and Salk

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Would be nice if u gave us a breakdown of what was discussed.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The reality is that this agent's inexperience in negotiating NFL contracts, combined with his determination to integrate elements of baseball negotiation into this negotiation, could complicate matters for Russell and for the team.

The tenor of his stance, wanting to jam this year's salary into the deal, will almost certainly push Russell into being franchised next year if it does not change.

The result of this stance would be tremendous uncertainty throughout a season in which we are attempting to compete for a championship -- uncertainty for both Russell and for the team.

The only person who appears 100% fine with this uncertainty is the agent, who has a stated preference for free agency and a seemingly hardline and unrealistic stance on guaranteed money and integrating this year's salary into the life of the contract. Unfortunately, he also has outsized influence on Russell, having characterized himself as Russell's "father figure." I would be lying if I said this was not problematic for everyone involved.

Anthony!

Reaction score
mikeak":11ee438x said:
Anthony!":11ee438x said:
What I have problem with is you interpretation of what he said and did not say. Let me give you an example

1) Agent said value in winning - This could mean they understand the value of winning and having the players around you to help do that. That is all I need to say the rest again is your interpretation of things, and again you really have no fact to base it on, as has been 95% of what is being written is not accurate. Also you missed a lot of other things that was said.

The SPECIFIC question was: "I ask because how to judge him to assign an appropriate value to a contract?"

The Specific answer said I won't negotiate here BUT "But to me, the most important thing about any quarterback..... it’s all about winning"

Followed by: "There’s value in winning, and I think that’s the key element"

Followed by: " I think the fact that he’s won more games than any quarterback in the history of the league in his first three years I think speaks for itself. That’s not an opinion, that’s a fact.”"

This was NOT about the team. It was about paying RW for wins

Are you really trying to say that is about the players around him? that was a DIRECT response in regards to how to evaluate RW as it relates to paying him under a contract.

I also didn't "miss a lot of other things". You called out a post and I broke the post down. You picked on the one item you thought were a weakness and above clearly shows how it was not. Time to pack it up

Source: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... spn-radio/

Yah it was a weakness ice try go and re listen. Not the written breakdown but really listen.

Anthony!

Reaction score
So I have listened for the umpteenth time

Made it clear 95% of what is being rumored about is in error (paraphrase)

They, the Hawks and Rws agent are talking and it is an open dialogue and are positive

He was asked for what Wilson is looking for, and he said he is looking for a fair, reasonable deal.

They asked for more specifics and Wilsons agent said that being the highest paid, setting up a new landscape, setting up a new bench mark for QBs is not what interest them.

It appears Wilson agent has done NFL deals before Per John Clayton

Wilsons agent reiterated that Wilson loves the Hawks, the town, and knows there is something special going on here and he would love to stay apart of it moving forward.

They ask RWs agent about leverage were is RWs. The Agent make sit clear that the Hawks can keep him under raps for 4 more years. He says he is not looking for leverage, and that he feels that neither side is looking for leverage but to get the best deal done for both.

He reemphasized about them moving forward and getting a resolution were both sides get what they want.

He says there is value in winning, and how RW operates in an offense tailored for him, and that RW does what Rw is expected to do.

Agent says he loves the way the Hawks a run.

So basically the only real point is 95% of what you are hearing is inaccurate

YEs they talk about winning as it relates to Rw but they also talk about loving what the Hawks are doing here and how special it is. They also talk about getting something that is best for everyone.

Sorry for some of you who are looking into things and wanting to find something I heard nothing but goodness. We will see.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tical21":1z893vsr said:
If we ran the ball less often than any other team in the NFL, could we justify paying our RB more than any other RB in the league because he helps us win?

Interesting question but: what if the RB was also your second most productive receiver and opened up the offense for everyone?

If a team had a RB that was sort of like what Reggie Bush was at USC, I could definitely see them making him the highest paid RB, even if the total rushing yards weren't elite.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2015":38snnw3w said:
The reality is that this agent's inexperience in negotiating NFL contracts, combined with his determination to integrate elements of baseball negotiation into this negotiation, could complicate matters for Russell and for the team.

The tenure of his stance, wanting to jam this year's salary into the deal, will almost certainly push Russell into being franchised next year if it does not change.

The result of this stance would be tremendous uncertainty throughout a season in which we are attempting to compete for a championship -- uncertainty for both Russell and for the team.

The only person who appears 100% fine with this uncertainty is the agent, who has a stated preference for free agency and a seemingly hardline and unrealistic stance on guaranteed money and integrating this year's salary into the life of the contract. Unfortunately, he also has outsized influence on Russell, having characterized himself as Russell's "father figure." I would be lying if I said this was not problematic for everyone involved.

From listening to the interview, I didn't get the impression that Rodgers is out of his element or confused about how the cap works in the NFL.

I know the narrative is that Wilson chose Rodgers because he's a "baseball agent" and somehow that translates into more guaranteed money because that's how it is in baseball. But the reality is Russell has known and trusted Rodgers for a very long time, back to his college football days.

If there's something impeding this deal, I just don't think it'd Rodger's inexperience as a football agent.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14174tqb said:
hawknation2015":14174tqb said:

The tenor of his stance, wanting to jam this year's salary into the deal, will almost certainly push Russell into being franchised next year if it does not change.

From listening to the interview, I didn't get the impression that Rodgers is out of his element or confused about how the cap works in the NFL.

I know the narrative is that Wilson chose Rodgers because he's a "baseball agent" and somehow that translates into more guaranteed money because that's how it is in baseball. But the reality is Russell has known and trusted Rodgers for a very long time, back to his college football days.

If there's something impeding this deal, I just don't think it'd Rodger's inexperience as a football agent.

For me, at least, the imperative of this agent to bring "ideas and thoughts that we implement in baseball" to a football negotiation has the potential to be dangerous.

That became most clear when he was so dismissive of the critical distinction between separating this year's salary from the deal, as is commonly done in football as a way of easing into the cap a large salary increase, and including this year's salary in a way that really negates any benefit in extending a player while he is still under contract.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scottemojo":13kupyfx said:
Anthony!":13kupyfx said:
Scottemojo":13kupyfx said:
DavidSeven":13kupyfx said:
"There's value in winning." - Wilson's agent.

I found that to be an interesting quote, because I've sort been wondering how the leverage in this negotiation and also our perception of it would be affected if Chris Matthews never recovered that onside kick in the NFCCG. Could Wilson's agent negotiate from a position of power if the Seahawks' season ended on a 0 TD/4 INT performance from its QB? Don't get me wrong, I think Wilson deserves to be paid. However, it's amazing how the randomest and unlikeliest plays can affect our perception of value and create "chips" for an agent to use.

Based on what Mark Rodgers said, I think he'd definitely take Russell to free agency if not for the team's ability to franchise him for three years. I'm not convinced Rodgers believes there's any benefit at all for Russell to get this deal done super early. Not to say the deal won't get done this offseason, but Rodgers seems like the kind of guy who would advise his client to wait unless their numbers are truly met.
I said on here already that Russ wants paid for his past success. Value in winning is just that, a payday for 3 years of wins.

As far as his agent not being in a rush to get paid, that part is bullshit from the agent. the agent wants paid just as much as Russ, and neither is unaware that one injury can cost future millions, and every year's delay in a contract puts Russ potentially one year farther away from that 3rd bite at the apple when he hits his early thirties. If they really thought his greatest value was on the open market, there would be no negotiations right now.

Yeah ahh no you really do not know any of those things you are just guessing.

Yeah ahh yes, his agent went on the radio and said a few things about current negotiations because they want to wait a couple more years to secure his future. (that was sarcasm, hope you got it)

Everyone is guessing. Even you, sycophant. I used logic for my guesses. You should try some.
What if he is actually Russell Wilson? :lol:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Anthony!":1jwdqqhe said:
So I have listened for the umpteenth time

Made it clear 95% of what is being rumored about is in error (paraphrase)

They, the Hawks and Rws agent are talking and it is an open dialogue and are positive

He was asked for what Wilson is looking for, and he said he is looking for a fair, reasonable deal.

They asked for more specifics and Wilsons agent said that being the highest paid, setting up a new landscape, setting up a new bench mark for QBs is not what interest them.

It appears Wilson agent has done NFL deals before Per John Clayton

Wilsons agent reiterated that Wilson loves the Hawks, the town, and knows there is something special going on here and he would love to stay apart of it moving forward.

They ask RWs agent about leverage were is RWs. The Agent make sit clear that the Hawks can keep him under raps for 4 more years. He says he is not looking for leverage, and that he feels that neither side is looking for leverage but to get the best deal done for both.

He reemphasized about them moving forward and getting a resolution were both sides get what they want.

He says there is value in winning, and how RW operates in an offense tailored for him, and that RW does what Rw is expected to do.

Agent says he loves the way the Hawks a run.

So basically the only real point is 95% of what you are hearing is inaccurate

YEs they talk about winning as it relates to Rw but they also talk about loving what the Hawks are doing here and how special it is. They also talk about getting something that is best for everyone.

Sorry for some of you who are looking into things and wanting to find something I heard nothing but goodness. We will see.
So let me ask you this? How do you know that everything that you are hearing is 95 percent wrong? Part of his job is public relations. Of course he is going to put a positive spin on things, the fact of the matter is that WE DON'T KNOW jack sh***. All we can do is make assumptions, and make logical deductions based on the information that we are given. Ultimately this guy works for Wilson, and part of his job is to put a positive spin on the negotiations. We can with no certainty say that 95% of what was said about contract negotiations in the media is wrong.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":25wkrjgx said:
hawknation2015":25wkrjgx said:

The tenure of his stance, wanting to jam this year's salary into the deal, will almost certainly push Russell into being franchised next year if it does not change.

Its not just people need to find something even when there is nothing

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":1cnni54b said:
Scottemojo":1cnni54b said:
Yeah ahh yes, his agent went on the radio and said a few things about current negotiations because they want to wait a couple more years to secure his future. (that was sarcasm, hope you got it)

I don't remember exactly what was said, but in the Brock and Salk interview Rodgers said something to the tune of "I tell my clients to wait. If they wait, they usually end up making more money." It was a fairly direct statement about how Wilson would make more money in 2016 or 2017. Which is true.

This is why I think Seattle would be wise to offer a generous contract this offseason. Wilson would probably settle for $22 or $23 million AYP right now, but in a couple years Wilson's price floor will probably be at least $25 million after guys like Luck and Newton sign.

My guess is that Seattle is saying $20m, Wilson is saying $25m (both offers in 'new money'). PC/JS are smart enough to know that $22-23m is a good compromise for both sides, but they are going to wait until just before training camp starts to make a $23m 'take it or leave it' offer. If they made that offer now, Wilson would probably want to think it over and might end up thinking it's not enough.
Yeah, I heard him say it, I have trouble believing it. It sounds like a negotiating tactic, not great advice. It takes a hell of a second deal next year to make up for the deal you didn't get this year. If he were to make the unlikely happen and force a franchise next year, the contract he signs after that has to be incredible to make up for the lost monies in the interim.

It's all a lot of high stakes poker.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Scottemojo":m4mtb4ds said:
kearly":m4mtb4ds said:
Scottemojo":m4mtb4ds said:

I don't remember exactly what was said, but in the Brock and Salk interview Rodgers said something to the tune of "I tell my clients to wait. If they wait, they usually end up making more money." It was a fairly direct statement about how Wilson would make more money in 2016 or 2017. Which is true.

This is why I think Seattle would be wise to offer a generous contract this offseason. Wilson would probably settle for $22 or $23 million AYP right now, but in a couple years Wilson's price floor will probably be at least $25 million after guys like Luck and Newton sign.

My guess is that Seattle is saying $20m, Wilson is saying $25m (both offers in 'new money'). PC/JS are smart enough to know that $22-23m is a good compromise for both sides, but they are going to wait until just before training camp starts to make a $23m 'take it or leave it' offer. If they made that offer now, Wilson would probably want to think it over and might end up thinking it's not enough.
Yeah, I heard him say it, I have trouble believing it. It sounds like a negotiating tactic, not great advice. It takes a hell of a second deal next year to make up for the deal you didn't get this year. If he were to make the unlikely happen and force a franchise next year, the contract he signs after that has to be incredible to make up for the lost monies in the interim.

Okay this is starting to make no sense. First of all, the only thing that matter is new money, He is not going to get anything but an extension. So his salary this year is going to be 1.5 mil period. If he is franchises next year he will get about 19 mil, if he is franchised the year after it will be about 22-25 mil. The year after 25-28 mil. That would be at the low end about 22 mil a year at the high end 25 mil a year on avg. and in the meantime Luck and Cam will have signed so when we are done franchising Wilson and have to actually work out a deal the price will have gone up a lot. As to take a hell of a deal next year, huh if Luck or Cam sign before Wilson it could cost us a lot more too. So lets say he gets franchised next year at 19 mil. At most he lost only 3 mil of the 22 mil you seem to think it will take to sign him. Then lets say he does sign but instead of 22 mil it is 24 mil guess what he just got the money back, and if Cam and or Luck sign before him the 24 might be what it takes. The franchise Tag money is so high for a QB it is almost what some think he is asking for so he really does not loose much, and it is fully guaranteed. First thing is the reality is we only have 1 year to franchise him before the franchise tag money becomes more than what a normal contract would cost. So all this he will loose money is wrong unless they are going to tear up or add something to this year.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Anthony!":1vwvrbqq said:
Okay this is starting to make no sense. First of all, the only thing that matter is new money, He is not going to get anything but an extension. So his salary this year is going to be 1.5 mil period. If he is franchises next year he will get about 19 mil, if he is franchised the year after it will be about 22-25 mil. The year after 25-28 mil. That would be at the low end about 22 mil a year at the high end 25 mil a year on avg. and in the meantime Luck and Cam will have signed so when we are done franchising Wilson and have to actually work out a deal the price will have gone up a lot. As to take a hell of a deal next year, huh if Luck or Cam sign before Wilson it could cost us a lot more too. So lets say he gets franchised next year at 19 mil. At most he lost only 3 mil of the 22 mil you seem to think it will take to sign him. Then lets say he does sign but instead of 22 mil it is 24 mil guess what he just got the money back, and if Cam and or Luck sign before him the 24 might be what it takes. The franchise Tag money is so high for a QB it is almost what some think he is asking for so he really does not loose much, and it is fully guaranteed. First thing is the reality is we only have 1 year to franchise him before the franchise tag money becomes more than what a normal contract would cost. So all this he will loose money is wrong unless they are going to tear up or add something to this year.

Your last sentence. The agent is actually asking them to tear up this year, right? Amirite?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Wilson is the face of the franchise. He is the official Hawks emissary. He attends funerals and White House dinners. He is the pitch man for the owners company and has even addressed the sales force. I just watched a new PSA he shot with Pete. This guy is more valuable to the team than a lot of you get and he isn't going anywhere.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
grizbob":1axadz1u said:
Popeye, you are starting to bug the living hell out of me by posting shit I can't argue with :141847_bnono: ninner fans are to be scorned regardless :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:

Thanks, man.

Seriously though, if I was FORCED to make a proclamation I don't think Wilson is atypically "inauthentic" or anything.

It's kinda hard for me to make a judgement though, because it's not something I've ever thought about: I sincerely don't care in the slightest about if his public persona is "authentic" or not.

There are VERY few exceptions to me not caring about athletes' public images, and at the end of the day when I do it all tends to come down personal preferences and politics (e.g. I LIKE that Sherman uses his position as a celebrity to talk about inequality, I LIKE that (critics be damned) as a father Steph Curry lets his daughter sit on his lap during pressers and act like a kid her age, etc., etc.).

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1byxi4or said:
Tical21":1byxi4or said:
If we ran the ball less often than any other team in the NFL, could we justify paying our RB more than any other RB in the league because he helps us win?

Interesting question but: what if the RB was also your second most productive receiver and opened up the offense for everyone?

If a team had a RB that was sort of like what Reggie Bush was at USC, I could definitely see them making him the highest paid RB, even if the total rushing yards weren't elite.

Funny enough Lynch was our 3rd best WR yard wise and first in TDs :lol:

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":36cnmp0r said:

Wilson doesn't fear the downside of waiting because of his faith, and it doesn't hurt that he already has a few million in the bank. He could also sign up for an athlete's income insurance policy.

Wilson is a big picture guy. He's already planning what he wants to be doing when he's in his forties. I think to him the only real benefit of signing now is that he'll get the next bite at the apple a year sooner, but that alone isn't enough to offset the 10%-15% pay difference he can expect to see from waiting a year.

Scottemojo":36cnmp0r said:
Your last sentence. The agent is actually asking them to tear up this year, right? Amirite?

If this really is a sticking point, It won't be an issue in 2016, obviously. A lot of what I'm seeing from Wilson and his agent screams to me that they want to sign in 2016, and the only thing that will persuade them to sign now is to sign for the projected 2016 market value (or at least something close to it) in 2015.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
kearly":3iafc03k said:

Oh Gee....are you saying that we are going to have to put up with another seven weeks of this banter?

Anthony!

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2cu819we said:
Anthony!":2cu819we said:

Actually if you listened he ask no such thing. that is all speculation.

kearly

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":37iu6g16 said:
Oh Gee....are you saying that we are going to have to put up with another seven weeks of this banter?

If we are lucky.