Wilson's contract speculation

Rob12

Reaction score
Tical21":dfjk8hvs said:
Again, it makes zero sense for Russell to take a reduced rate that is guaranteed. Guaranteed money protects you against getting cut. The chances of Russell Wilson getting cut in the next six years is zero. Zero. If the offer is 5 years, 100 million, with 50+ guaranteed, he is still going to see 100 million. Guaranteed money means zero. Zero. There is zero chance he gets cut within the years of that contract. Agreed? Why on earth would he take a contract that pays him 40 million less. Just for guaranteed money that he is going to get anyways?

Why would Russell take a 10 million signing bonus instead of the 30-60 that every other franchise QB takes. He wants to get that money invested. He would be costing himself millions in interest alone by doing so. Is he that stupid?

Don't assume what you deem important are the same things that Russ deems important. You're not him and he is not you.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":qmso482k said:
Just a guess by spotrac,

[tweet]https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/579439320383254529[/tweet]

this imo is more likely scenario than the 15 mill a year....there is no going to be a discount. not sure why anyone would think there would be...

Tical21

Reaction score
Perrin":5h9gwl0b said:
Tical21":5h9gwl0b said:
Again, it makes zero sense for Russell to take a reduced rate that is guaranteed. Guaranteed money protects you against getting cut. The chances of Russell Wilson getting cut in the next six years is zero. Zero. If the offer is 5 years, 100 million, with 50+ guaranteed, he is still going to see 100 million. Guaranteed money means zero. Zero. There is zero chance he gets cut within the years of that contract. Agreed? Why on earth would he take a contract that pays him 40 million less. Just for guaranteed money that he is going to get anyways?

Why would Russell take a 10 million signing bonus instead of the 30-60 that every other franchise QB takes. He wants to get that money invested. He would be costing himself millions in interest alone by doing so. Is he that stupid?

You're ignoring the injury factor. He wouldn't be guaranteed to get 100 million if he (knock on wood) suffered a career ending injury.
Quick, tell me the last QB to suffer a career ending injury.

Tical21

Reaction score
Rob12":3f3brmtq said:
Tical21":3f3brmtq said:

Don't assume what you deem important are the same things that Russ deems important. You're not him and he is not you.
Then just answer the question I asked with, "yes, he is that stupid."

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Tical21":13b0wqqp said:
Perrin":13b0wqqp said:
Tical21":13b0wqqp said:

You're ignoring the injury factor. He wouldn't be guaranteed to get 100 million if he (knock on wood) suffered a career ending injury.

Wasn't necessarily immediately career ending, but Jake Locker's injuries definitely was detrimental to his career and hindered him even though it didn't immediately cause him to retire. It ultimately did cause him not to finish out his contract. Also with him retiring, the Chris Borland retirement, Jason Worilds retiring... that's 3 young talented players retiring early just this year(could throw in P.Willis too for religious reasons and his toe injury). Crazy stuff happens, and just because it doesn't happen to everyone or it doesn't happen at an alarmingly high rate doesn't mean it shouldn't be a cause for concern because it still could happen. I don't think it's stupid if he wants more guaranteed money, you're only in the NFL for so long and you never know what happens in this sport.

samwize77

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":v9kprblp said:
Tical21":v9kprblp said:
Perrin":v9kprblp said:
Tical21":v9kprblp said:

Wasn't necessarily immediately career ending, but Jake Locker's injuries definitely was detrimental to his career and hindered him even though it didn't immediately cause him to retire. It ultimately did cause him not to finish out his contract. Also with him retiring, the Chris Borland retirement, Jason Worilds retiring... that's 3 young talented players retiring early just this year(could throw in P.Willis too for religious reasons and his toe injury). Crazy stuff happens, and just because it doesn't happen to everyone or it doesn't happen at an alarmingly high rate doesn't mean it shouldn't be a cause for concern because it still could happen. I don't think it's stupid if he wants more guaranteed money, you're only in the NFL for so long and you never know what happens in this sport.

Like everyone else RW is just a few concussions away from considering that having a working brain is more important than football. I'm not saying what RW will decide to do with his contract. But to think that he'll never get injured is living in fantasy land IMHO.

chris98251

Reaction score
Career ending or career changing, Carson Palmer, Daunte Culpepper, Randall Cunningham, Steve Myer had a career ending one, Jim Zorn, Joe Thiesman, Steve Young, Roger Staubach with accumulated concussions.

Tical21

Reaction score
If he walks away, that's on him, he's leaving the money on the table at that point.

All of those guy were much older when they retired than Russell will be after the contract. Don't think you think the chances that Russell is not our QB six years from now are even less than 1 out of 100? I guess crazy things could always happen, but for him to not be our quarterback by the end of the deal, there would have to have been some unprecedented circumstances that the league hasn't seen in 25+ years.

"Here Russell. We'll give you 5 years and 85 million, and you can have this whether or not we cut you. Or, here is 5 years 120 million, and you'll get every cent of it unless we cut you in the next couple of years."

If you're Russell, and you know as well as everybody else that your chances of getting cut are less than 1 out of 100, which one do you choose?

chris98251

Reaction score
They had major injuries that changed how they played, Staubach and Young retired because of concussions sustained, others were injured and had to change how they played, Steve Myer was a 3rd year guy if I remember and was considered the heir here in Seattle after Zorn had his injury that changed how he played much like Thiesman. Myer suffered a broken neck.

NWPatsFan

Reaction score
chris98251":2iegogkt said:
They had major injuries that changed how they played, Staubach and Young retired because of concussions sustained, others were injured and had to change how they played, Steve Myer was a 3rd year guy if I remember and was considered the heir here in Seattle after Zorn had his injury that changed how he played much like Thiesman. Myer suffered a broken neck.

I also see it as a problem to guarantee all of his contract, especially because he is not the prototypical pocket passer. As of today he is very reliant on his escapability/scrambling, if he were to suffer an injury that hampers that ability it is unclear how well he could adapt to being that type of QB. I imagine the front office would up it's focus a bit more on pass blocking if this terrible scenario were to occur. I am not saying that RW cannot become that type of QB (he is smart enough and talented enough. The only minor thing against him is his height), just that at this point he hasn't had to do it, so it could be a bit of a risk to guarantee all of that long of a contract. I am sure the FO is better than I am on deciding what he is capable of.

vonstout

Reaction score
Tical21":qzjr4riy said:

A guaranteed contract also protects him against injury. If he signs a fully guaranteed contract and suffers a career ending injury, he still gets paid the entire amount. Also, someone suggested playing with the bonus money. Seattle doesn't do that much. I'm pretty sure that's why Suh would have cost Detroit $20+ million if they franchised him. They restructured his deal with bonus money to help in the short term and it cost them in the end.

edogg23

Reaction score
Tical21":tg9gm9f1 said:

That's why i think think Russ's contract will have a huge record signing bonus, with the rest of the small base yearly salary guaranteed .

Tical21

Reaction score
He's not going to have a career ending injury. An ACL or broken leg wouldn't end his career. A concussion won't end his career. A career ending injury for a QB is like a 1-1000 chance. Getting any type of discount because of this consideration is ridiculous.

A huge signing bonus cannot be done this season. Maybe next year.

Atradees

Reaction score
I am sure the FO has made an elaborate presentation and proposed a time period for the extention and anouncement to Russell and His agent and they have an agreement in principle.

Latest posts