Spotrac on Wilson's new contract

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":mpn2i25u said:
I will bet you Wilson's contract will be fully guaranteed, and I can predict a 4 year, $50,000,000-fully guaranteed contract.

So considerably less than literally every QB even remotely resembling a franchise QB out there? This includes the likes of Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, etc. If Wilson signs for $12.5 million per year then I will swallow an entire can full of paint.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
One thing to throw into this discussion, Wilson has been grossly underpaid his first three seasons. There's gonna be some catchup money thrown into the equation by him and his agent. The Hawks will not be getting much of a hometown discount. I'm certain his contract will be the largest ever signed by an NFL player.

AVL

Reaction score
HansGruber":s5nqfmnh said:
6 years, $135m - $60m guaranteed

Again, with "cash" value of NFL teams currently at $2b+ (thanks to Buffalo), Russell will never be more than a minority owner. The NFL is the billionaire boys club and even guys like Donald Trump don't have the cash to play at that table.

Wilson did not specify the sport of the team he wished to own.

I hope he buys the Asheville Tourist.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Reaneypark":3gljqo1g said:
One thing to throw into this discussion, Wilson has been grossly underpaid his first three seasons. There's gonna be some catchup money thrown into the equation by him and his agent. The Hawks will not be getting much of a hometown discount. I'm certain his contract will be the largest ever signed by an NFL player.

Forget not that he is already making more with his endorsements than his salary with the Hawks. He's already making more than he can spend! Of course it helps that he is not married.

Ballspiker

Reaction score
If my premise is wrong, then this post is valueless. But if right, it's a factor.

Premise: an offseason negotiation with Wilson renegotiates the last year of his 4 year rookie contract.

Option 1 for Wilson is to play out 2015 at $750k THEN hit the free market or renegotiate with Seattle. Under those circumstances, he'll be looking at more per-year money in his new contract (let's say Flacco money of 6 years, $120 mil) than if he opts for...

Option 2: Wilson renegotiates the last year of his rookie contract, which gives him a whole lot of new money (mostly in the signing bonus) in 2015 than he's currently going to make, but less than the per-year amount if he were negotiating as a free agent.

The conclusion here is that a new Wilson contract worth Joe Flacco money - 6 years at $120 mil, is not an underpay for Russell. Flacco was a free agent. Wilson is not. By tearing up his $750k contract for 2015 and replacing it with 6 years at $120 mil, it's basically the same as a 5 year $120 mil contract on the open market (after a year at $750k), or about $24 mil per year. Sounds fair and reasonable to all parties to me.

taco40

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":3rjdh4be said:
Forget not that he is already making more with his endorsements than his salary with the Hawks. He's already making more than he can spend! Of course it helps that he is not married.

Glad someone else thinks the same way. There are many stories of highly paid players who restructured their contracts so other players could get paid as well. I have no doubt that RW is that kind of guy. And yes, when everyone talks about how he is, at this time, grossly underpaid, they always forget the same thing, that he spent much of his off-season endorsing Bose, American Family Insurance, Microsoft's Surface, a local car dealership, Braun Razors, Duracell Batteries and even Nike. For very good insight here's an interesting read on the subject:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /17007159/

I have no doubt that if Wilson really wants to buy a team, he knows that the more blue chip players you have, the better chances you have to win. He'll be interested in doing his part to keep his team in a position to win, on and off the field.

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
Comparing Kaeperdouche's contract to the one Russell will get is preposterous. Look at the Manning, Brees, Rodgers contracts....there ya go.

RE Wags: The Hawks just locked up two of his friends, who will hopefully recruit Bobby to settle. Way things go in this business.

Just my quick reply

morgulon1

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1cjrgd61 said:
I guess that makes sense, but $11M certainly seems like a lot of money for one more year of Bobby Wagner. But we'll see JS has in store this offseason.

I'm still certain that Wilson won't get $25M(he's certainly worth it), but by doing so Bobby Wagner will have to settle for a discount if he wants to stay in Seattle.

We can sit here and prognosticate all we want. In the end, Wilson is going to get paid like he deserves and Mr Wagner is going to be a multi millionaire as well. Our front office will make it work. The reason I am so confident, is the type of player that is brought in to the organization. It's critical. I'll be monitoring this situation closely.