Wilson's touchdown pass to Rice

Laloosh

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1taaivy5 said:
bestfightstory":1taaivy5 said:
That was like an NBA player stepping back to create space to get off a deep three with a player in his grill. And the way Rice hardly set up before spinning and going deep instead of to the sideline or coming back towards the QB gives me the feel that that passroute was planned/pre-determined. Cuz R ice was open initially and he didn't even wait in expectation of the pass.

Sorry to do this but I want to quote this and emphasize it rather than start a new thread which would only be laborious and unneccessary and eventually likely merged with this one.

The more I review that play the more certain I am that it was designed. Rice turning and running at a sprint for the endzone in that situation is counterintuitive given that the defender was behind him and Wilson with several players in hot pursuit appears to dismiss other shorter targets to maintain a commitment to throwing deep to Rice.

Russell certainly didn't indicate that it was designed, simply that it was something they practice regularly in scramble drills. Rice saw the scramble and got himself open. Not saying that you are incorrect, simply relaying what was said by Wilson.

Starrman44

Reaction score
bestfightstory":2wb05euz said:
hawk45":2wb05euz said:
Just know if he keeps doing what he does with his limited opportunities we're going to really really hate it if we don't have him back.

Judging from the posts in this Forum, the vast majority of our our fanbase A) has decided Rice is a bum and/or B) Doesn't want him back next year for $ reasons.

I love him. Don't know about the price tag, but that ain't my job. JS/PC have done great managing the cap so far.

Only thing I worry about is the knee.

The fumble last week was an isolated incident that got me momentarily fired up. Usually he's pretty clutch.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
bestfightstory":232rfjec said:
bestfightstory":232rfjec said:
That was like an NBA player stepping back to create space to get off a deep three with a player in his grill. And the way Rice hardly set up before spinning and going deep instead of to the sideline or coming back towards the QB gives me the feel that that passroute was planned/pre-determined. Cuz R ice was open initially and he didn't even wait in expectation of the pass.

Sorry to do this but I want to quote this and emphasize it rather than start a new thread which would only be laborious and unneccessary and eventually likely merged with this one.

The more I review that play the more certain I am that it was designed. Rice turning and running at a sprint for the endzone in that situation is counterintuitive given that the defender was behind him and Wilson with several players in hot pursuit appears to dismiss other shorter targets to maintain a commitment to throwing deep to Rice.

After watching it over and over, I got the same impression. If not entirely scripted it was at least a very quick option B that was planned for that particular defensive look.

And the way the ball zips and sails off Russell's hand... it almost looks unnatural. Like a video game pass or something. Amazing.

A

Anonymous

Those tip-toe-along-the-sidelines catches he makes will sure be missed if he does become a cap casualty.

amill87

Reaction score
bestfightstory":29y2y35r said:
bestfightstory":29y2y35r said:

Both Wilson and Carroll praised Rice for his improvisation on that play. I don't think that was the play called in the huddle but they probably practice "fire drills" for when Wilson scrambles. It looks like they are developing chemistry together. All the wrs for that matter

The Outfield

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":3m05dd6y said:
Those tip-toe-along-the-sidelines catches he makes will sure be missed if he does become a cap casualty.

That catch by him against the Titans was insane. He didn't look at the sideline at all. He just knew where exactly it was.

Tical21

Reaction score
Sorry my friend, but no chance this was designed. There hasn't been a coordinator that smart in the history of football. When you're a receiver trying to relocate against zone, a lot of it is luck to be honest. You try to practice it and everything, and know the defense to know where defenders are, but really, you just follow your instincts, pick a direction, and hope it gets you open. Was a dime by Russell. I would argue a little bit about the degree of difficulty. Not an easy pass by any stretch, and still awfully impressive, but it is quite a bit easier to throw rolling towards your throwing arm that it would be to go straight back or against it. Rice was WIIIIIDE open. Russ just had to get enough on it to neighborhood it and not let it drift too far to the right.

And I like Sidney, but he won't be here under his current contract, and I highly doubt he will be here at all. Kearse is what, 80% of the player? For 1/10th the price, if that?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I don't expect Rice back, either. It always sucks to lose guys with Super Bowl rings from your locker room. But we will be able to keep a few.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
It was designed in the sense that WR's always practice a scramble drill in the event that a play breaks down. They don't just run around randomly; they agree on specific actions and tendencies in order to get open.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I remember back in 2012 seeing Brock on ESPN covering the first mini camp. He was asked if anything from he first session had jumped out at him. Without hesitation he said Russel Wilson's arm strength.

Russ can really fire it off when he needs to.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1usu7ho0 said:
It was about 35 yards and he was moving forward. He does have an above average arm though.
Not true about the "Moving Forward" cstr , he was running to the right, and slightly backwards when he spun and threw that beautiful pass to the perfect spot.
That is athleticism, and beautiful TOUCH on that pass.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3f4q2xyc said:
hawk45":3f4q2xyc said:
Just know if he keeps doing what he does with his limited opportunities we're going to really really hate it if we don't have him back.

Judging from the posts in this Forum, the vast majority of our our fanbase A) has decided Rice is a bum and/or B) Doesn't want him back next year for $ reasons.

He makes some great plays and I like having him here, but the price of his remaining contract now that he's already earned his guaranteed money basically means he'll need to renegotiate to a smaller contract fitting his level of production or he'll be gone. At the rate he is going he will have 34 receptions on the season. Or about $250,000 for every catch he makes. I know you can't just look at stats. He makes some clutch plays. I also realize you have to factor in the bad line play. But there is just no way I see him back at his current salary.

Has nothing to do with him being a bum.

Hawks46

Reaction score
BleedGreenNblue":1nu79vpp said:
It was a thing of beauty. At first i thought it was going out of bounds

Funny, at first I thought he was throwing it away as well. Then I saw it coming back down, in bounds and I saw Rice out there and starting screaming like a madman.

I think it was because he didn't square his shoulders and look like he was aiming the ball. he looked like he was just flicking it out there. The accuracy for that throwing motion is pretty incredible.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1gjpx035 said:
hawk45":1gjpx035 said:

If he keeps making plays like this, the one that won the Patriots game, the big 3rd down catch in the Titans game (and so many similar type catches last season). Then yes, bring him back. If he's like what he was the first couple games of this season (i.e. sitting tight watching a ball get intercepted with the game on the line right in front of his face) then yeah no.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3no8q199 said:
He won't be back next year at his current contract. Love the play, like what he can do, but it's economics
God I wish I had your inside track on the way the front office HAS to think about their economics, and their contracted agreements with the players that they signed with.
Will Rice redo his contract?, I think he probably will, but who knows.
There almost seems to be a resentment aimed at Rice for signing the agreement made by JS & Rice's Agent.
What the hell gives people??

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3tbpyf0r said:
Tech Worlds":3tbpyf0r said:
He won't be back next year at his current contract. Love the play, like what he can do, but it's economics
God I wish I had your inside track on the way the front office HAS to think about their economics, and their contracted agreements with the players that they signed with.
There almost seems to be a resentment aimed at Rice for signing the agreement made by JS & Rice's Agent.

What is your problem? No reason to get all shitty with me because I stated the obvious.

You need to slow your damn roll.

The Radish

Reaction score
Ok boys and girls lets calm down a bit here.

No need for resentment or banned words even abbreviated.

And lets not take things so literally.

And I don't think that was aimed at you directly Dom, just to posters in general. There are those that have been saying right along that he will be gone because of his large numbers against the cap next season.

But I've been saying right along lets wait and see what happens with the cap and our office.

:roll:

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Hawknballs":6pzddj4n said:
bestfightstory":6pzddj4n said:
hawk45":6pzddj4n said:

He makes some great plays and I like having him here, but the price of his remaining contract now that he's already earned his guaranteed money basically means he'll need to renegotiate to a smaller contract fitting his level of production or he'll be gone. At the rate he is going he will have 34 receptions on the season. Or about $250,000 for every catch he makes. I know you can't just look at stats. He makes some clutch plays. I also realize you have to factor in the bad line play. But there is just no way I see him back at his current salary.

Has nothing to do with him being a bum.
Regarding your last sentence. For you it doesn't. For many it does.
I agree with everything else you said, btw. And I am not (in this thread) arguing with anybody for their opinions nor stoking any fires-just stating what I see within the Forum. Unscientific, as it is.

I doubt he comes back, too. I think he would be an absolutely DOMINANT 2nd receiver on a Detroit or Cincinatti. And I like what he offers here, I just don't know that we are the kind of team that is going to feature a guy like Rice. Because of that, he seems to receive alot of ire from .NET.

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1ss6artf said:
scutterhawk":1ss6artf said:
Tech Worlds":1ss6artf said:

What is your problem? No reason to get all shitty with me because I stated the obvious.

You need to slow your damn roll.
And you basically said the same thing.

hehehe