Would Hawks Let Wilson Walk?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Why does Wilson need to be an "elite passer" for a run-first team? Why should that take away his chance at a large contract?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3kvtbrjz said:
Just curous.....does anyone know what RW makes in endorsements, advertising, etc per year?
Football players don't actually make what's considered more then supplimental or pocket change as far as endorsement money goes. Unless you're seriously established and elite for years. Basically being Peyton Manning and to a lesser extent Tom Brady. Mostly NFL players get local and regional stuff.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":3lkh9ai4 said:
Why does Wilson need to be an "elite passer" for a run-first team? Why should that take away his chance at a large contract?
All the metrics are based on passing not actual results in most cases because results are much harder to quantify with pure statistics. Much like defensive WAR in baseball.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":i6xh659u said:
He's going to get a large contract, that's a fore gone conclusion rabbit. The question is just how large. I've seen some that seem to think RW should expect less then Kaep (17 million range is what they think RW is worth), some say it should be less then AR money, because you know, he may be the best QB in the league, but it's a way team friendly contract. I say QBs like like RW and Luck will hold Flacco's contract as the starting point .
Time will tell.

Anthony!

Reaction score
haroldseattle":2oa1ziwm said:
Anthony! I hold the contracts given to Sherman, Thomas, etc as evidence that the Seahawks will pay for great play. Also let me be clear that I don't consider RW and his camp as bad guys. When your talking about signing a contract, that's the time to ask for what will make you happy. I hate it when a player starts moaning and groaning about their contract as soon as the ink dries.
The Seahawks and RW will come to a agreement, it's just going to be for more money then us fans ( and the Seahawks) thought it would be for. Should still work out OK with good drafting.

yes you should hold them I mean paying a SS under 10 mil has the same effect as paying a QB 15+ mil. You see that is the issue you cannot hold them the same because they are not, not even close and that is again why your assumptions are just that assumptions.

Anthony!

Reaction score
haroldseattle":qoe2clni said:
dumbrabbit":qoe2clni said:
He's going to get a large contract, that's a fore gone conclusion rabbit. The question is just how large. I've seen some that seem to think RW should expect less then Kaep (17 million range is what they think RW is worth), some say it should be less then AR money, because you know, he may be the best QB in the league, but it's a way team friendly contract. I say QBs like like RW and Luck will hold Flacco's contract as the starting point .
Time will tell.

Okay first please stop using Kaps deal, no expert I know says Wilson should get less than Kap, no one. 2 the deal is not the way your are describing it at all.

Kap deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-details/

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Anthony!":1hrhuy5y said:
haroldseattle":1hrhuy5y said:
Anthony! I hold the contracts given to Sherman, Thomas, etc as evidence that the Seahawks will pay for great play. Also let me be clear that I don't consider RW and his camp as bad guys. When your talking about signing a contract, that's the time to ask for what will make you happy. I hate it when a player starts moaning and groaning about their contract as soon as the ink dries.
The Seahawks and RW will come to a agreement, it's just going to be for more money then us fans ( and the Seahawks) thought it would be for. Should still work out OK with good drafting.

yes you should hold them I mean paying a SS under 10 mil has the same effect as paying a QB 15+ mil. You see that is the issue you cannot hold them the same because they are not, not even close and that is again why your assumptions are just that assumptions.

Anthony I said from the get go I was speculating. That's not in question and your right paying a safety or even a CB is different then paying a QB top money. In fact that is what the problem is IMO. Speculating once again, I say that the Seahawks FO felt they a idea what it would take to sign RW and now realize they missed the mark.

Look time will tell who's right. I saying right now that RW contract will be closer to Flacco contract, then AR contract, and I find it laughfullable that some seem to think RW will get signed for less then Kaep.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":1h3llvap said:
haroldseattle":1h3llvap said:

But Sherman and ET are elite players..... :mrgreen:

haroldseattle

Reaction score
No experts Anthony but read this quote from Hawk Lock.

"We will sign RW, he is not going to get away. I'll be dissapointed in Russell's camp if he is demanding top 3 QB money, as he will gut the future of our team. I still expect something in the 17-18 million range, not 20+ million."

Kaep made what 19 million? The point is the Seahawks have discovered that signing RW is going to be expensive. If someone could explain why RW is worth less then Flacco, I'm all ears.

Anthony!

Reaction score
haroldseattle":1do559so said:

"We will sign RW, he is not going to get away. I'll be dissapointed in Russell's camp if he is demanding top 3 QB money, as he will gut the future of our team. I still expect something in the 17-18 million range, not 20+ million."

Kaep made what 19 million? The point is the Seahawks have discovered that signing RW is going to be expensive. If someone could explain why RW is worth less then Flacco, I'm all ears.

Kap did not make 19 mil though, he only made 15 mil. Also keep in mind all those numbers presume he hits all his performance numbers which he did not for this past year so his take home for next year will be less.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisc ... aepernick/

FYI I think Wilson will be 18-20 mil. However again My issues not so much how much he will or will not sign for but the assumption that the issue is Wilson. As I said for all we know the number the Hawks had in mind was 15 mil, and Wilson wants 18 mil. We do not know. For all we know both sides are at fault here. Maybe Seattle wanted 15 and Wilson wants 22. One is too low the other too high. Again for all we know they have agreed on the number just not how it is paid out, ie salary, bonuses, guaranteed, etc.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Anthony!":3tc0jlq9 said:
haroldseattle":3tc0jlq9 said:

Kap did not make 19 mil though, he only made 15 mil. Also keep in mind all those numbers presume he hits all his performance numbers which he did not for this past year so his take home for next year will be less.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisc ... aepernick/

FYI I think Wilson will be 18-20 mil. However again My issues not so much how much he will or will not sign for but the assumption that the issue is Wilson. As I said for all we know the number the Hawks had in mind was 15 mil, and Wilson wants 18 mil. We do not know. For all we know both sides are at fault here. Maybe Seattle wanted 15 and Wilson wants 22. One is too low the other too high. Again for all we know they have agreed on the number just not how it is paid out, ie salary, bonuses, guaranteed, etc.

We'll see. I went thru the whole it will take 15million to sign RW to 20 million, to gulp 25 million. However after looking at Flacco contract...yeah most likely closer to 30 million, because RW is better and has ever bit the leverage that Flacco had and seems willing to wait for the contract to come to him. Just my 2cents.

Rob12

Reaction score
I think it will happen, but it's going to be painful. I also think that the AAV amount will be around $22-24M, and that will severely limit who we hold onto. I think a big contract will assuredly mean that 2015 will be Beast's last year in Seattle. Bane is likely gone as well. They will let Kearse walk, unless he has a down year and his market is weak.

Irvin? Likely gone. I could see the team making a play at Shaq Thompson to replace him, or grooming KPL.

Essentially, the core will remain intact, but RW's deal will severely limit the rest of the roster. We'll be top heavy in talent, but no where near as deep unless the FO absolutely kills it in the draft.

I give the likelihood of RW not signing a long term deal here at about 10 percent, because there's always that part of me that thinks that the FO has stones big enough to think they can find someone to replicate what RW does. But I think they would be wrong if that ends up being their thinking.

And, I think $22-24M might even be on the low side. $25-28M is nowhere near out of the question. RW will swing for the fences. I know he wants to win, but he seems like the type that has no problem putting himself and his goals at the forefront. And there's nothing wrong with that.

OP
OP
Landhawk1

Landhawk1

Reaction score
Rob12":pn1eoih9 said:
I think it will happen, but it's going to be painful. I also think that the AAV amount will be around $22-24M, and that will severely limit who we hold onto. I think a big contract will assuredly mean that 2015 will be Beast's last year in Seattle. Bane is likely gone as well. They will let Kearse walk, unless he has a down year and his market is weak.

Irvin? Likely gone. I could see the team making a play at Shaq Thompson to replace him, or grooming KPL.

Essentially, the core will remain intact, but RW's deal will severely limit the rest of the roster. We'll be top heavy in talent, but no where near as deep unless the FO absolutely kills it in the draft.

I give the likelihood of RW not signing a long term deal here at about 10 percent, because there's always that part of me that thinks that the FO has stones big enough to think they can find someone to replicate what RW does. But I think they would be wrong if that ends up being their thinking.

And, I think $22-24M might even be on the low side. $25-28M is nowhere near out of the question. RW will swing for the fences. I know he wants to win, but he seems like the type that has no problem putting himself and his goals at the forefront. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't think they have illusions of replacing RW. They'll find a way to work it out. PC and JS know the value he brings and how difficult it is to get a guy like that as your QB and leader.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Landhawk1":2upfbr91 said:
Rob12":2upfbr91 said:

I don't think they have illusions of replacing RW. They'll find a way to work it out. PC and JS know the value he brings and how difficult it is to get a guy like that as your QB and leader.

I agree with that. No FO wants to be like this...

Browns qbs

Rob12

Reaction score
Landhawk1":fp9slvpc said:
Rob12":fp9slvpc said:

Agreed, that 10 percent is unrealistic, but that's just me leaving wiggle room for this FO to do something that completely baffles me. They're very smart, and often times very unpredictable.

RW is the face of the Seahawks and arguably the NFL as a whole. He's going to get better, too. I know he'll get locked up. I just wish it would happen sooner rather than later.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rob12":339oage1 said:
Irvin? Likely gone. I could see the team making a play at Shaq Thompson to replace him, or grooming KPL. .

I imagine Irvin will be handled much like Tate and Maxwell were handled............your stats and play do not warrant a gigantic long term free agent contract like others on the defense, so we'll give you our modest offer for what we think you're worth to remain here, and if someone else wants to break the bank for you then it's sayonora.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3t2detsp said:
Sgt. Largent":3t2detsp said:
Rob12":3t2detsp said:
Irvin? Likely gone. I could see the team making a play at Shaq Thompson to replace him, or grooming KPL. .

I imagine Irvin will be handled much like Tate and Maxwell were handled............your stats and play do not warrant a gigantic long term free agent contract like others on the defense, so we'll give you our modest offer for what we think you're worth to remain here, and if someone else wants to break the bank for you then it's sayonora.

5th year option deadline is coming soon.

I know, I don't think we're going to be picking it up and allow Irvin to test the UFA market next year as I stated above.

7.8M? I don't think so, that's up there with how much we're paying Bennett and Avril, for much less production. I'd be surprised if we pick it up............just too much for still having to extend Russell, BWags and 8-11 draft picks.