Would you take a flier on Brandon Marshall?

mistaowen

Reaction score
Part of me thinks he's a perfect addition, big bodied WR with terrific hands who has proven year after year he can be a weapon. Good blocker too, hoping he could be in it to win a Superbowl.

Other part thinks we destroy FA's who aren't home grown and his bipolar shows up again when we don't target him meaningfully.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Nothing against Marshall at all but I would rather use those resources on the offensive line. If the line wasn't such a skull sucking problem then maybe to replace Lockett or Kearse? Or do we bring in a bruising TE and move Jimmy to Kearse's position?

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Put him at LT and Cable and Bevell can become aroused with super-duper tackle eligible plays.

In seriousness, I'm sure he would love to come here for as many as 3 targets a game-a bubble, a 5 yard out route on 3rd and 10 and a garbage time scramble drill catch over the middle.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
He'd have to be content in the No. 2 role as our No. 1 receiver just set career receiving records in our well-designed offense.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2hjfbjdk said:
I'm gonna get flak for this. But this offense could really use a #1 receiver, rather than Graham and the three shrimps. As clutch as they are, Graham isn't fast, and the shrimps sometimes lose their battles at the LOS as well as some jump passes. Everyone wants a big-fast guy, and for good reason.

However, I don't see Seattle going after one in free agency, especially given how our current receivers overperform so reliably. The draft is the place to look. A lot of folks will be upset if we don't emerge with two offensive linemen with our first two picks, but if a Julio somehow falls to us because of character flags or something, I'll be ecstatic.

Marshall is fast ? :twisted: Seriously, I agree with you in that Marshall is very physical at the los. He also brings a different skill set than our other guys do. If we were to get anyone via FA, I would hope they go to Russ and ask him if that guy's skill set would mesh with him.

We can blame Bevell all we want. The only real bad issues I have with him in relation to Graham's usage is his red zone schemes. He continually lines Graham up tight to the line and that enables a team to put a LBer on Graham immediate, then have a safety over the top. I've seen 3 guys on Graham in the red zone.

The rest of the time, it's Russ not targeting him. That's what we need to figure out. If we got a Marshall, would Russ target him?

I also think with all the locker room unrest, Marshall might not be a good fit here now. Two years ago ? Yes. Now I don't think we need one more volatile guy on the team that Pete just lets him have his rein.

What about McEvoy ? He's been very effective in his few snaps he gets, how physical at the LOS is he ? Kid is 6'6" and runs a 4.4 forty.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I agree with Montana here that we'd be very interested if we thought we could get a season or two of vintage superstar Brandon Marshall. We do have a pretty competitive WR group at the moment, but without restating the whole gladiator/bricklayer analogy just consider how bumping everybody down the order one would increase their individual efficiency when they were targeted.

Probably a moot point since Marshall doesn't appear to be vintage Marshall anymore, unless you think that's been a result of the QB play (possible).

Hawks46":3fizkz3e said:
I've seen 3 guys on Graham in the red zone.
I agree with the rest but not with mentioning any OC's dream outcome as a criticism. You now have single coverage with no help on three routes with a spy on your mobile QB and late LB help on your RB. Without looking at specific plays what you are probably seeing is 3 guys showing up to Graham after the completion would have occurred.

Largent80

Reaction score
Like I said. We were in the market for him or Vincent Jackson back in 2009.

It's 2017 so, no thanks.

nash72

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":14mjkxkq said:
He'd have to be content in the No. 2 role as our No. 1 receiver just set career receiving records in our well-designed offense.

Yeah, that seems to happen when your forced to throw the ball all the time within our well designed offense.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
I saw him in an interview a while back in which he heaped praise on the Hawks and said if released from jets, he would play for vet minimum in order to play for a contender. He said money isn't an object at all.

Hell yes I would take a flier on him. He has consistently had bottom 5 QB talent, yet is top 5 to 10 in receiving each year. He has more 100 yd games than any wr in NFL history. The big knock is his big personality, but he would fit right in. Not only do I want this to happen, I think there is a possibility it could. If he is released, it seems by his own admission, this is his destination.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I'm a big Brandon Marshall fan....if he can still play, and will sign for vet minimum...I'd say go for it.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I say no. And I love the guy

But this is a moot point. Marshall has already stated the Jets will be his last team before retirement

Josea16

Reaction score
Wide Receiver isn't our issue. We're pretty stacked there and in all skill position groups actually. It's far past time to shore up our secondary and try to upgrade the interior of our defense. The middle of it is average to bad as is. Upgrade our defense through the draft especially the secondary and pay the going rate for at least one decent to good OT though any combination of two average OT's, one decent one, and one good OT, or anyone not Fant and an actual NFL OT might even convince me to keep Cable around another year. Otherwise Paul better be looking for a new head coach given he will be the problem after another 10-6 year of underperformance from elite players in their prime because of a craptastic OL.

So of course not, our money would better spent elsewhere.

Latest posts