Wrong Call on Roughing Penalty

RunTheBall

Reaction score
rcaido":2ued9gtu said:
Well according Joe Buck its the worse call he has ever seen & will be talked about all week. 49ers loss was because of this call & might as well put an * now.

This will be the reason why Harbaugh lost his job & Krapernick is a backup QB. The same reason why the Packers didn't win the Super Bowl was because of the Fail Mary that year.

Seahawks has always been getting all the calls. They need to investigate as Paul Allen is paying the NFL.
+1

253hawk

Reaction score
See what you hit. He had his head slightly down, hitting with the hairline which is against the rule. It isn't just for the QB's protection, it's to protect the defender's neck/spine as well. There's a reason these posters are in virtually every football locker room at every level of competition.

Heads-Up-Poster.jpg

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Don't want a bad call roughing our QB,
Stay away from our QB.

SIMPLE!

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
HawkFan72":bw4szv3n said:
rcaido":bw4szv3n said:
Well according Joe Buck its the worse call he has ever seen & will be talked about all week. 49ers loss was because of this call & might as well put an * now.

This will be the reason why Harbaugh lost his job & Krapernick is a backup QB. The same reason why the Packers didn't win the Super Bowl was because of the Fail Mary that year.

Seahawks has always been getting all the calls. They need to investigate as Paul Allen is paying the NFL.

I can't tell if you are a Seahawks fan being sarcastic or a 49ers fan who made one of the funniest posts of the year.

The second paragraph gave away that it was a Hawks fan.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
lukerguy":2ayk9nxb said:
twisted_steel2":2ayk9nxb said:
Reading on the whiners forum, someone asked, "I just don't know what the league can expect Nick Moody to do on that play."

Well, my response would be to get your helmet out of the way, get your helmet on either side of Wilson's chest, lead with your shoulder. Seemed to me he led with his helmet... yea his head was up which was good, you want to see what your hitting, but it really was a borderline whether it was his face-mask making contact or the crown of his helmet. If it's even close to looking like spearing, those ref's are going to throw the flag.

I guess how the more I look at it, the more I fail to see how this is the, "That's the worst call of 2014."

Dude, it was a terrible call. Don't even argue.

Do you know what happens when people try and lead with their shoulder versus Russell? Well they miss because it's impossible to lead with your shoulder and yet still arm tackle.

I disagree.

Oh no, there I go offering a different opinion... which I'm not suppose to! :lol:

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
People defending this call likely find ways to defend every controversial call that goes our way. Guess the cognitive dissonance that comes with catching an officiating break is too much for them to just accept.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Largent80":3ho4rp9c said:
Meh, they stole a game from us by not reviewing that fumble in St. Louis. Karma.

This. I know it makes sense for us as fans, but it had nothing to do with SF. Still, there were missed calls that favored them as well, and I know SF's fans are going to bitch about it, but bad calls are made all the time and you can't review those calls once they're made. It made no difference in winning or losing the game, merely what the final score was.

That fumble in STL still blows my mind. That's a reviewable call, as a matter of fact, it's league policy to review ALL turnovers and scores. Inexplicably, the refs decided to not review that play, and on top of that, the league backed them up on it. They owed us.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
:lol:

If any of you say it was the right call, you're full of crap

We definitely got the benefit of that call. If that were Bobby Wagner hitting Kaepernick in the chest and he got flagged for roughing the passer.. this message board would have burned to the ground after such an awful call.

pmedic920

Reaction score
There are ALWAYS going to be missed or bad calls.
They do, for the most part seem to even out, in the long run.
As long as one bad call doesn't ultimately determine the out come of a game, I'm ok with them.
Having said that I'll refer back to our first SB appearance.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Hawks46":3syju0ko said:
Largent80":3syju0ko said:
Meh, they stole a game from us by not reviewing that fumble in St. Louis. Karma.

This. I know it makes sense for us as fans, but it had nothing to do with SF. Still, there were missed calls that favored them as well, and I know SF's fans are going to bitch about it, but bad calls are made all the time and you can't review those calls once they're made. It made no difference in winning or losing the game, merely what the final score was.

That fumble in STL still blows my mind. That's a reviewable call, as a matter of fact, it's league policy to review ALL turnovers and scores. Inexplicably, the refs decided to not review that play, and on top of that, the league backed them up on it. They owed us.

Did we even have a clear recovery in STL? It looked to me to have gone through Sherman's legs but I never saw any clear possession on the part of the Seahawks.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I'm just saying it's not as bad a call as everyone is making it out to be. IMHO

Pretty borderline. Lots worse calls out there every game. Just not seeing how this one has everyone grabbing their pitchforks. :Dunno:

It’s close, but when you look at it on tape, Moody’s head is up, he hits with more the side or the face-mask to the body of the quarterback. So in our review, with the ability to look at it in slow motion, it is not a foul,” Blandino (Head of Officials) said.

Even Blandino just said its "close". And had to look at the tape to see how close it was.

But whatever......

pitchfork-mob-300x225.jpg

Rainger

Reaction score
And the merry go round continues. This just in from PFT

In the aftermath of the flag thrown on Patriots cornerback Brandon Browner for the hit against Chargers tight end Ladarius Green, PFT reported that the question of whether such hits will be subject to replay review could be placed on the Competition Committee’s offseason agenda. In the aftermath of Sunday’s hit by 49ers linebacker Nick Moody against Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the issue will be placed on the Competition Committee’s agenda.

But here’s the catch. For the same reason the Browner penalty wouldn’t have been overturned via replay review, the flag thrown on Moody most likely would have been upheld. The replays of the hit do not show indisputable visual evidence that the ruling on the field was incorrect.

Despite the hue and cry against the call from referee Ed Hochuli (including an admission by NFL V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino that a mistake was made), the rules expressly prohibit “[l]owering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/’hairline’ parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body.” It appears that Moody put the forehead/”hairline” of his helmet into Wilson’s chest.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-players/

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Just a thought...maybe Russell is starting to get the benefits of being a Superb Owl winning qb?

Thems the breaks son. Live with the call. Die with the call. We came out on top this time. I'll take it.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
lukerguy":16oy8lzg said:
Hawks46":16oy8lzg said:
Largent80":16oy8lzg said:

Did we even have a clear recovery in STL? It looked to me to have gone through Sherman's legs but I never saw any clear possession on the part of the Seahawks.

Exactly. Should they have reviewed it? Sure. But it wasn't getting overturned.

Again.. if that's Wagner getting flagged.. this board has about 109 topics about it in seconds. It was a terrible, terrible call.

aawolf

Reaction score
When I saw it, I thought it was a make up call for the blatant PI that occurred against Willson, where it was ruled incomplete. I mean, Willson clearly got tackled and the LB defending him was not playing the ball at all.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
As has already been said, you can't lead with the crown of your helmet, I don't see what was so wrong with the call.

grizbob

Reaction score
It's not like we've never had that call go against us. :34853_tinfoil:

kearly

Reaction score
This is the second game in a row where Seattle's opponent had some bitching to do after the game. Eagles fans were screaming about some of the calls and non-calls in their game against Seattle. Chip Kelly was about as animated as I've ever seen him. Now this.

Regardless of whether it was a blown call or not, this is the second game in a row where the officials favored Seattle. Not in terms of penalties called, but in terms of the timing and magnitude of those penalties and non-calls.

You know what happened the week before the Philly game? Some blogger linked a chart showing how Seattle was getting boned in penalty differential. Pete got wind of this, then passed it onto the league. The league said they'd monitor it. And the next two games, two straight Seahawks opponents were bitching about officiating.

Life is good.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I notice that we bitched much more about bad calls at the beginning of the season when were were not winning as much. I think the roughing passer call was bad. Yeah there are technical blah blah but it was clean. I will not argue because sometimes they do go against us (Kansas City PI). That is just the way of the game. It has been said since Super Bowl 40. You need to win enough so the refs are unable to affect the outcome of the game. In this case 4 points would not have made a difference.