Wrong Call on Roughing Penalty

edogg23

Reaction score
I thought all 3 unnecessary roughness calls against the 49ers were pretty ticky tack. I mean I'll take em, but each time I kept thinking if this was against the Seahawks I would be pissed right now.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The National outcry has been quite humorous actually.

This was an Ed Hoculi judgment call on a bang-bang play and what he interpreted in what the defender was doing. Whether it was a bad call or not, idk, it certainly look like could've been a 50-50 call. An old Ed Holculi just went with his gut instinct.

But again I just love the National attention this is getting... and how the 49ers were jobbed out of a chance to win... except they weren't. 49ers still couldn't solve the Seahawks defense. And the Seahawks offense went Run-The-Clock-Out mode and
stopped trying to score more points.

Where was the National outcry after the Seahawks got jobbed after the Rams game, just for the fact their was no official review to actually see if the got it right or the National outcry over the Seahawks getting jobbed in KC City when Baldwin got bumped off his route on a possible TD play?

Seems to me the League and National Media has an agenda .... and that's painting the Seahawks as the villain...the Big Bad of the NFL...

I don't mind it so much if its the Seahawks drumming to the beat of their own drums but the NFL and the media trying to piggyback off of it to get a piece of the pie is a little ridiculous. And ofcourse other teams fans eat it all up because in the history of man everyone needs something to detest and hate so much that it brings them together.

That hate is your Seahawks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They had 67 total yards in the 2nd half, and scored 7 points, total. If they want that as their excuse, so be it.
I seem to remember Willson getting mugged on that 3rd and long, no call. Bad calls happen in every game. That call had zero effect on the outcome of the game.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
It was a bad call, but Russ could have fumbled and given SF the ball right there and it wouldn't have mattered. SF scored 10 points in two games, that's where their issue it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And a QB who throws the ball in the ground, and wusses out when it counts. He looked scared in the 2nd half.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Big whoop. 13 - 7 instead of 17-7.

Moreover, I have seen the 49ers take enough cheap shots on Wilson that it's about time they get flagged for one - legal or otherwise.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
kearly":x30s815q said:
This is the second game in a row where Seattle's opponent had some bitching to do after the game. Eagles fans were screaming about some of the calls and non-calls in their game against Seattle. Chip Kelly was about as animated as I've ever seen him. Now this.

Regardless of whether it was a blown call or not, this is the second game in a row where the officials favored Seattle. Not in terms of penalties called, but in terms of the timing and magnitude of those penalties and non-calls.

You know what happened the week before the Philly game? Some blogger linked a chart showing how Seattle was getting boned in penalty differential. Pete got wind of this, then passed it onto the league. The league said they'd monitor it. And the next two games, two straight Seahawks opponents were bitching about officiating.

Life is good.

They bitched but the eagles still only got flagged 4 times that game which is 3 less then their season avg of 7. Now if anything Carroll bring attention to the league could have made a difference in this 49er game. This was the first game since week 6 I believe where our opponent was flagged a number of times close if not over their season average.

taco40

Reaction score
ManBunts":34euzj2o said:
It was. But they also missed several blocks in the back by them on us. And in the end, all it changes is the score, not the outcome.

But clearly from the beginning Hochuli's group (4th most penalties called I think the stat was) made it known THEY were going to control the game, and from that point you knew it would be a crap shoot on what they'd call

Agreed. Refs call 'em closer when they want to sent the "control"message.

The article I read on the Seattle PI page mentioned that the NFL had to slow it down to make up their mind.

"“It’s close, but when you look at it on tape, Moody’s head is up, he hits with more the side or the facemask to the body of the quarterback,” he said. “So in our review, with the ability to look at it in slow motion, it is not a foul.”"

As I recall, the referees must call these in real time so for the NFL to admit it after slow-mo is puzzling at best. Guess SF and Harbaugh need a moral victory. Hope this helps ease their pain.

Riley12

Reaction score
aawolf":7fkffetj said:
When I saw it, I thought it was a make up call for the blatant PI that occurred against Willson, where it was ruled incomplete. I mean, Willson clearly got tackled and the LB defending him was not playing the ball at all.

That was my reasoning in the stands. I was furious after that PI. As soon as the flag for roughing the passer came out, I yelled "Here comes the make up call!"

We benefited from more calls on the day, but Santa Clara benefited from more of the non-calls.