You Can Keep 3 Defensive Players

renofox

Reaction score
Ok . I noticed a consensus regarding Nwousu, Witherspoon,Mafe. Some picked Williams and I agree , id like to have him as well.

Next stage :

Are there two more defensive players in addition to the top three that anyone would like to salvage for this team ?

Just two....
Nwosu and Mafe were probably chosen because EDGE is both the most important position and the hardest to find. I would hope we could add a top-10 talent with Nwosu and Mafe in rotation.

I don't like the short-term roster building philosophy PC uses, so I'm out on Reed and Williams even though they're both solid++. By the time this team is ready to compete they'll be declining or retiring.

The remaining two highest performers with potentially years of play left are Brooks and Jackson, so:

Brooks
Jackson

KinesProf

Reaction score
Ok . I noticed a consensus regarding Nwousu, Witherspoon,Mafe. Some picked Williams and I agree , id like to have him as well.

Next stage :

Are there two more defensive players in addition to the top three that anyone would like to salvage for this team ?

Just two....
Woolen and Jordyn.

James in PA

Reaction score

Next stage :

Just two....
Brooks
Big Cat

morgulon1

Reaction score
Interesting.

So is it safe to say that Seattle could EASILY replace 50-60% of their starters and we'd be cool with that?

First if all , I totally agree and it's just kinda sad that a defensive coach would field a team that's as bad as they are.

I will throw one *

Even if they didn't replace 1 player , even kept Yikes . They could be a lot better with a different coaching.

If Hurtt is back next year , I might have a little more free time in the fall. My wife might like that.

Maybe not ?

CactusJack

Reaction score
Spoon, Big Cat & Mafe

Mafe over Nwosu simply due to age, upside & salary.

I'm surprised Leonard isn't a consensus choice. He's been terrific.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
Spoon, Woolen, Mafe
The way he's played this year, Woolen doesn't belong on any list.

You can't rely on a guy who quits & doesn't give 100% effort. He's been part of the problem for this team imo.

It's pretty telling when even Carroll has called him out & benched him at certain times.

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
I thought Love might have seen more love but I agree with the majority 3.
Love has made some great splash plays and and is playing better than #83/90 and #88/90 Adams and Diggs. That's why he looks so good to our eyes.

We don't see it as often when he completely blows coverage ("How did that guy get wide open? Who was supposed to be covering him?) or when he takes terrible angles.

Watch any game of all-22 with a focus on Love and you'll be disappointed.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The way he's played this year, Woolen doesn't belong on any list.

You can't rely on a guy who quits & doesn't give 100% effort. He's been part of the problem for this team imo.

It's pretty telling when even Carroll has called him out & benched him at certain times.
He showed his potential last year. He is a young guy, and I believe he can get it turned around with a new DC and and a system better suited to him. I picked him because good cover corners are hard to find. Most of the others are more easily replaced. At least, that’s how I approach the question.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
He showed his potential last year. He is a young guy, and I believe he can get it turned around with a new DC and and a system better suited to him. I picked him because good cover corners are hard to find. Most of the others are more easily replaced. At least, that’s how I approach the question.

I strongly feel we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater in relation to Woolen this year. He's clearly not 100% healthy and it ends up showing on the field. He's afraid - Like Jamal Adams - to re-injure himself so he ends up playing like garbage which of course feeds into the collective mindset of fans that he's suddenly a garbage player.

I don't think that at all. If he gets fully back to 100% health in the offseason I would bet dollars to donuts he looks more like his rookie year again in 2024.

CactusJack

Reaction score
No, he doesn't have that dawg mentality in him. I would cut ties with him myself. You can't win with guys like that. Regardless of how fast he can run.

Are you fine with keeping someone who actively tries to avoid contact? His play simply hasn't been good enough.

Dump him.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I strongly feel we are throwing the baby out with the bathwater in relation to Woolen this year. He's clearly not 100% healthy and it ends up showing on the field. He's afraid - Like Jamal Adams - to re-injure himself so he ends up playing like garbage which of course feeds into the collective mindset of fans that he's suddenly a garbage player.

I don't think that at all. If he gets fully back to 100% health in the offseason I would bet dollars to donuts he looks more like his rookie year again in 2024.
That is exactly how I see it.

cymatica

Reaction score
This question would be much easier to answer with Pete and Hurtt gone for a year. As of now it's Spoon, Mafe, Nwosu. If there's a tier 2 I'd say Brooks, Williams, and Woolen(assuming it's a sophomore slump).

calinator

Reaction score
I agree with the consensus. The only reason I might not put Williams in there is age. He's closing in on 30 but DT's last a little longer than DE's usually.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Front to back, my main three holdovers would be DE Jarran Reed, OLB Boye Mafe, DB Devon Witherspoon.
My two extras granted by morgulon1 would be, DE Leonard Williams, and SS Julian Love.
Honorable mention, ILB Bobby Wagner, of course. Somebody on radio recently said, "When Bobby tackles somebody, they stay tackled!"

Crossing my fingers this team returns to a real 4-3 defense again. Watching this team give up between 5 and 6.5 yards per carry has become just too demoralizing. Look no further than the Pittsburgh game, only 2 down linemen, gave up eight large gains of 20 yards or more, and still couldn't stop the run.

Last edited: