You don't really see a lot of quarterbacks of his skin color

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":xpngz8ma said:
Laloosh":xpngz8ma said:
Is it over reaction Friday?
The people who are bothered are probably less bothered by the actual comment, and more bothered by the double-standard where blacks can say whatever they want about white people but white people can't say anything about blacks.

White men can't jump? Oh thats funny
Black people can't swim? Oh thats just racist.

Black people established the type of soul Earl's talking about here. It's theirs. It was born out of oppression, it's synonymous with the civil rights movement. There are no appropriate analogies for this.

I mean, it's besides the point really, I doubt you even care that much, it's just another case of bjorn curing his boredom with faux righteousness.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
If a white player made a similar comment towards a black QB there would be a media uproar. Unfortunately this is what is wrong with our country. I have no problem with his comments.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
The comment is prejudist not racist, there is a huge difference in my opinion.

Here is the difference,

Prejudist- white people cant dance.

Racist- i hate white people because they cant dance.

Big differnce. Both are still ignorant though.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
is this thread for real?

are people honestly, truly upset by his comment? people cant just laugh stuff off. or at worst just let what they perceive as stupid slide away?

righteous indignation is like a fuel for some

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Uncle Si":22jzbcyn said:
is this thread for real?

are people honestly, truly upset by his comment? people cant just laugh stuff off. or at worst just let what they perceive as stupid slide away?

righteous indignation is like a fuel for some

Indeed.

pehawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":388ntwk5 said:
I don't think that jokes about black people having big lips or loving fried chicken or not being able to swim are even 1% worse than jokes about white people having no rhythm or not being able to jump. I consider them equal, but society treats one like its a hate crime while the other gets ignored.

I do black jokes all the time, all races in fact. Not sure where this "rule" you speak of came about. In case your worried, I give you permission to do black jokes too. Start by referencing Sac's ability to swim or the fact BET's AM news show starts at 11 AM.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
frosted21":3tvkozjx said:
Yikes. Wonder what the backlash to this will be..what would happen if Clay Matthews were to say (about Wilson): 'You don't see many QBs of his skin color with (insert whatever) like that'

In a country where blackpeoplefinder.com exists (but no caucasian equivalent will...ever), this comment by Earl is no big deal.

grizbob

Reaction score
Just when I thought this week couldn't get any longer. :x :180670:

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I try to avoid telling others what to think, but if what he said offends or embarrasses you, you have a YOU problem. Because what he said was awesome. In fact, I Got Dam guarantee you that at Packers players meetings today, Rodgers and the rest are having a ton of fun with this one. Their feelings are most assuredly not hurt, so if yours are, to hell with you.

Laloosh

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2e90ktkm said:
Laloosh":2e90ktkm said:
Is it over reaction Friday?
The people who are bothered are probably less bothered by the actual comment, and more bothered by the double-standard where blacks can say whatever they want about white people but white people can't say anything about blacks.

White men can't jump? Oh thats funny
Black people can't swim? Oh thats just racist.
Well, I suppose that I could argue how ridiculous I think that is but something tells me it would be pointless. I'll just take solace in knowing that most of those old farts will be dead and gone by the time my kids are old enough to laugh hysterically at that level of hyper sensitive thinking.

matthews628

Reaction score
I think, if Earl could think that one over and rephrase it, he certainly would, as anytime you explicitly use the term "someone of that skin color", regardless of which color you're referring to (if it's not your own), you're setting yourself up for trouble.

Do I think he had any malicious intent whatsoever? Absolutely not.

Was it a poor choice of words? Of course.

I don't think anyone, including the commenters on the ESPN article, is, in their heart of hearts, upset with Earl Thomas for what he said. As others have alluded to (and I, at times, can sympathize with), people are upset with the double standard, and this is just the most recent, public example of it. There's absolutely no denying that if a white player had made a similar statement about a black player, this would be a huge story. That being said, any semi-intelligent individual who has seen Earl give interviews or speak publicly before can tell, while he's not Marshawn Lynch, he's definitely not Russell Wilson, as far as eloquence and poise in front of a podium, and he was probably making a comment that most people in a room, if there were no cameras or reporters present, would have laughed without thinking twice about. His (or the team's) publicist will sit down with him and give him a quick lesson in political correctness, and this will be forgotten, and never surface again, after the game on Sunday dominates the public discourse.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
matthews628":10dgjghd said:
I think, if Earl could think that one over and rephrase it, he certainly would, as anytime you explicitly use the term "someone of that skin color", regardless of which color you're referring to (if it's not your own), you're setting yourself up for trouble.

I don't think anyone, including the commenters on the ESPN article, is, in their heart of hearts, upset with Earl Thomas for what he said. As others have alluded to (and I, at times, can sympathize with), people are upset with the double standard, and this is just the most recent, public example of it. There's absolutely no denying that if a white player had made a similar statement about a black player, this would be a huge story. That being said, any semi-intelligent individual who has seen Earl give interviews or speak publicly before can tell, while he's not Marshawn Lynch, he's definitely not Russell Wilson, as far as eloquence and poise in front of a podium, and he was probably making a comment that most people in a room, if there were no cameras or reporters present, would have laughed without thinking twice about. His (or the team's) publicist will sit down with him and give him a quick lesson in political correctness, and this will be forgotten, and never surface again, after the game on Sunday dominates the public discourse.

Crack open a tinny tonight Tokadub. It's the weekend!

Uncle Si

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1yungblr said:
pehawk":1yungblr said:
bjornanderson21":1yungblr said:
I don't think that jokes about black people having big lips or loving fried chicken or not being able to swim are even 1% worse than jokes about white people having no rhythm or not being able to jump. I consider them equal, but society treats one like its a hate crime while the other gets ignored.

I do black jokes all the time, all races in fact. Not sure where this "rule" you speak of came about. In case your worried, I give you permission to do black jokes too. Start by referencing Sac's ability to swim or the fact BET's AM news show starts at 11 AM.

Racist!

We're all the same on the inside. Except for Italians.

italian-baby-meme-generator-hey-hey-get-a-load-of-this-guy-30cfb4.jpg

matthews628

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":hraw8sny said:
matthews628":hraw8sny said:

Crack open a tinny tonight Tokadub. It's the weekend!

I prefer to drink my beer out of glass bottles, thanks, and it certainly doesn't have to be the weekend to validate said consumption.

That being said, it's 7:43am in Seattle and I'm four-deep (I worked an overnight inventory shift - give me a break!)

Status
Not open for further replies.