You don't really see a lot of quarterbacks of his skin color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
This has all the 'racial' overtones of

White men cant jump

settle down, overly-PC Seattle. this is the internet not a Whole Foods. Put your hemp heart deoderant down.

themunn

Reaction score
so we're saying Aaron Rodgers isn't white enough?

iigakusei

Reaction score
Ryan Lindley will be using this as bulletin board material.

Laloosh

Reaction score
12thbrah":3d83r04z said:
who Aaron Rodgers wants to be
10902630 gal
Thought of that movie after i read the OP. C. Thomas Howell needs sensitivity training.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
matthews628":2xxnp5d5 said:
I think, if Earl could think that one over and rephrase it, he certainly would, as anytime you explicitly use the term "someone of that skin color", regardless of which color you're referring to (if it's not your own), you're setting yourself up for trouble.

Do I think he had any malicious intent whatsoever? Absolutely not.

Was it a poor choice of words? Of course.

I don't think anyone, including the commenters on the ESPN article, is, in their heart of hearts, upset with Earl Thomas for what he said. As others have alluded to (and I, at times, can sympathize with), people are upset with the double standard, and this is just the most recent, public example of it. There's absolutely no denying that if a white player had made a similar statement about a black player, this would be a huge story. That being said, any semi-intelligent individual who has seen Earl give interviews or speak publicly before can tell, while he's not Marshawn Lynch, he's definitely not Russell Wilson, as far as eloquence and poise in front of a podium, and he was probably making a comment that most people in a room, if there were no cameras or reporters present, would have laughed without thinking twice about. His (or the team's) publicist will sit down with him and give him a quick lesson in political correctness, and this will be forgotten, and never surface again, after the game on Sunday dominates the public discourse.

Absolutely this.

I find nothing wrong with Earl's comment, but anyone who believes that there wouldnt be an absolute massacre in the media if Thomas had been white and Rodgers black is fooling themselves incredibly.

The double standard is innapropriate and tiresome.

As a society, we are either ok with these comments or we arent, it can't be selectively ok.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2c7kx8ff said:
matthews628":2c7kx8ff said:
I think, if Earl could think that one over and rephrase it, he certainly would, as anytime you explicitly use the term "someone of that skin color", regardless of which color you're referring to (if it's not your own), you're setting yourself up for trouble.

Do I think he had any malicious intent whatsoever? Absolutely not.

Was it a poor choice of words? Of course.

I don't think anyone, including the commenters on the ESPN article, is, in their heart of hearts, upset with Earl Thomas for what he said. As others have alluded to (and I, at times, can sympathize with), people are upset with the double standard, and this is just the most recent, public example of it. There's absolutely no denying that if a white player had made a similar statement about a black player, this would be a huge story. That being said, any semi-intelligent individual who has seen Earl give interviews or speak publicly before can tell, while he's not Marshawn Lynch, he's definitely not Russell Wilson, as far as eloquence and poise in front of a podium, and he was probably making a comment that most people in a room, if there were no cameras or reporters present, would have laughed without thinking twice about. His (or the team's) publicist will sit down with him and give him a quick lesson in political correctness, and this will be forgotten, and never surface again, after the game on Sunday dominates the public discourse.

Absolutely this.

I find nothing wrong with Earl's comment, but anyone who believes that there wouldnt be an absolute massacre in the media if Thomas had been white and Rodgers black is fooling themselves incredibly.

The double standard is innapropriate and tiresome.

As a society, we are either ok with these comments or we arent, it can't be selectively ok.

thats why you just laugh it off and move on. and if it happens the other way around you do the same thing. calling out a double standard doesnt fix it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkpower":aflun7kl said:

IMO any sort of race based comment has to be examined in context. Was the comment said with any sort of malice or hate? Of course not, Earl was paying Aaron a compliment.

It is a double standard, but there was no malice or offense intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.