Your best realistic first round

Shane Falco

Reaction score
The defense was horrendous, true. I'm hoping a lot of that was scheme and poor tackling which I am also hoping the new coaches are fixing. We already got rid of some of the worst tacklers. We could use some some more blue-chippers for sure to be really good.

But the offense had plenty of problems too. Look at our 3rd down conversion rate and red zone efficiency. And our run game really took a step back. IMO, that's all on a mediocre to poor offensive line. Take a look at the 4 teams in the championship game last season. Those teams do what it takes to put together good o-lines.

I'd love to see what this offense would be like with a top 10 o-line. I also want to see them focus more on the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Here's what the Hawks have drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the past 6 drafts at O-line and D-line. Blows my mind.

Offensive Line

none

OT Charles Cross 1-9

none

none

none

none

Defensive Line

none

none

none

none

L.J. Collier 1-29

none

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
How do you figure that? We didn’t make the playoffs due to the D, not because of the OL. This team won’t be any better without drafting a lot of D. OL take 2-3 years to be a decent player. I’ll be pissed if we waste a top pick on another OL.

Draft Newton and get Sweat in the 3rd.
And how many NT do we already have on the roster ?

Shane Falco

Reaction score
D-line guys can take a couple years just like O-line guys. But a stud is a stud on either side of the ball and you get a good chance he's a day 1 starter.

I want more D-line too, but I want O-line too. At least they've spent some money on D-line. They've spent squat on the O-line.
Look it up right now. We are dead last in spending on the O-line and we haven't used but 1 high draft pick on it in years.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Here's what the Hawks have drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the past 6 drafts at O-line and D-line. Blows my mind.

Offensive Line

none

OT Charles Cross 1-9

none

none

none

none

Defensive Line

none

none

none

none

L.J. Collier 1-29

none
Feels like a Pete strategy. Not trying to throw shade on Pete, it’s just he always approached the trenches as an afterthought.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I agree. But after hearing those comments from Schneider this offseason about IOL being paid too much and not signing anybody of note. He might have the same philosophy on that as Pete. At least on the offensive side.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Ok, i'll be the one who throws the bucket of cold water on you guys.

OUR biggest need from last year ??? Jeoardy music plays

RUN DEFENSE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mac said, flexibility, run wall, setting a hard edge, we need another 3-4 DE.

Think about this. More jeopardy music....

Who is the perfect fit ?

Cheers
The Ravens played Brent Urban, a 300+ lb. long-armed 6'7" guy in this role. He was the only guy on their roster officially labeled as a defensive end while they rostered 5 guys designated as defensive tackles.

Leonard Williams, Dre'Mont Jones, Mike Morris, and Myles Adams would all be options for the big end/5T role. Leo actually is listed as a DE on the roster, as is Mike Morris. Cam Young could also get looks there, in theory.

12forlife

Reaction score
Trade out of rd 1, stockpile as meany rd 2 & 3 picks as possible. Seems to me there is alot of talent up through the top 100. With us desperately needing to pick IOL, DL, LB & Safety, and potentially double dipping @ a few of those spots.

TwilightError

Reaction score
My best guess is they trade back at least once. Then it's impossible to predict who they target.

If they stay, I hope they take Penix. If he is gone, I'd like to see a real upgrade to either o-line or d-line. Verse or Fuaga, if available.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
The Ravens played Brent Urban, a 300+ lb. long-armed 6'7" guy in this role. He was the only guy on their roster officially labeled as a defensive end while they rostered 5 guys designated as defensive tackles.

Leonard Williams, Dre'Mont Jones, Mike Morris, and Myles Adams would all be options for the big end/5T role. Leo actually is listed as a DE on the roster, as is Mike Morris. Cam Young could also get looks there, in theory.
Mael, your words ring true. But wasn't Mac part of that Ravens defense ?

I'm thinking that when Mac deploys his 3-4 defense he wants tall DE that can swat pass down if they can't press home their attack. Which eliminate Adans and Young due to this factor.

Last edited: