Your guess as to the initial 53

jammerhawk

Reaction score
With the cuts coming this week after the 4th pre-season game it's time to take a stab at the initial 53. Naturally the coaching staff and FO will have better info and some deeper reasons than just performance at this point, but this is my guesstimate.

This post has been edited to deal with subsequent roster changes

Offense

QB-(2) Wilson, Hundley, McGough (because his ceiling is a lot higher than Davis') However, I'd not be surprised to see the team acquire a veteran QB (now done) with a higher present ability than McGough and to move McG to the PS. McG is now ikely going to the PS, if he clears waivers.

RB-(4) Carson, Penny, Davis, Prosise (holding my nose), McKissic goes to IR. I could see the team keep/acquire a player at the position on the PS or even bounce Davis for a special acquisition if a player they like springs free at cutdown. After the final PS game I suspect that Promise is the player most likely on the bubble and Davis is secure.

FB-(1) Madden. This position is very tenuous and the team could easily replace Madden with a better player at anytime or go with a TE like Swoopes. I could see the team not keeping a FB and using a TE for the job.

WR-(6) Baldwin, Lockett, Brown, Marshall, Moore, ?Reynolds/Johnson?, Darboh goes to IR. The final position on this list is very tenuous to me and any of three players Reynolds, Johnson, or Darboh could have the 6th spot but I think the team keeps Reynolds as being more of slot guy over Johnson who is very fast, and Darboh can be stashed until healthy on IR. I'm very unsure of Reynolds over Johnson.

TE-(3) Vannett, Dissly, Swoopes, Ed Dickson remains on NFI and will be recalled after the season starts once this happens Swoopes will be waived and is kept on the PS if he clears waivers. i could see Dickson being cut and re-signed to avoid the 6 game limitation upon his return from NFI.

LT(2)- Brown, Fant

LG(2)- Pocic, Sweezy

OC(2)- Britt, Hunt

RG(2)- Fluker, Roos, Phillips to the PS

RT(1)- Ifedi. Here I can see the team adding a player acquired from another team they acquire at cutdown.

Total = 25

Defence

LDE-(3) Green, Jackson, Jefferson (will also situationally play LDT),

LDT-(2) Johnson, Jones,

RDT-(3) Reed, Stephen, Ford

RDE-(3) Clark, Martin, Walden will be moved to SOLB when Jordan comes off PUP and Jordan will move to LDE, if Jefferson is kept he will move inside to LDT or play 5 tech

SOLB-(1)- Mingo, will be relieved by Wlden situationally

MLB-(2) Wagner, Calitro

WOLB-(2) Wright, Griffin

LCB-(2) Griffin, Thorpe. The reserve positions at CB will be subject of much anxious consideration as there are some talented players at the position King is kept on the PS along with Reed, surprisingly Johnson is not kept

RCB-(2) Maxwell, Flowers

NCB-(1) Coleman

FS-(1) Thompson, one of Mutcherson or Jerome is kept on the PS or Tyson now will be waived and not retrained on the PS.

SS-(3) McDougald, Alexander, Hill (His roster spot on the team is very tenuous and he has been a disappointment)

Total = 25

Special Teams

PK-(1) Janikowski

P-(1) Dickson

LS-(1) Ott

Total = 3

Practice Squad

I suspect that the PS will see a very large number of changes this season as players are added and subtracted depending upon availability, injury, or situation. When players are added at a rate of greater than 1/week the effective size of the PS is greater than 10 players.

1. QB- McGough now a vet is acquired for the 53
2. WR- Thompson
3. FB- Marx (to allow time for reasonable assessment)
4. WR- Stringfellow
5. WR- Turner
6. OT- Beavers
7. OG- Phillips
8. LB- Forrest
9. CB- King
10. CB- Reed

This is only the initial 53, and we won't know who is on the final 53 until Tuesday next week.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
25 OFFENSIVE PLAYERS
(2 QBs/ 5 RBs/ 6 WRs/ 3 TEs/ 4 OTs/ 3 OGs/ 2 OCs)

01 QB: Russell Wilson
02 QB: Alex McGough
———
03 RB: Chris Carson
04 RB: Rashaad Penny
05 RB: Mike Davis
06 XB: CJ Prosise
07 XB: JD McKissic
———
08 TE: Nick Vannett
09 TE: Ed Dickson
10 TE: Will Dissly
* Swoopes makes it over Dickson if Ed is put on PUP. In this scenario: I’d keep Marcus Johnson over Keenan Reynolds as Swoopes can also be QB3.
———
11 WR: Doug Baldwin
12 WR: Jaron Brown
13 WR: Tyler Lockett
14 WR: Brandon Marshall
15 WR: David Moore
16 WR: Keenan Reynolds
* Reynolds was a tough decision over Marcus Johnson but I feel like Reynolds could serve as QB3 if needed.
———
17 LT: Duane Brown
18 RT: George Fant (RT)
19 OT: Germaine Ifedi
20 OT: Isaiah Battle
* Jemarco Jones to I.R.
——-
21 LG: Ethan Pocic
22 RG: DJ Fluker
23 OG: Rees Odhiambo
* Odhiambo was kept because ability to play Tackle and Guard
———
24 OC: Justin Britt
25 OC: Joey Hunt

Practice Squad Candidates (*if eligible):

* TE, Tyrone Swoopes
2 of:
* WR, Amara Darboh*
* WR, M. Johnson* or K. Reynolds
* WR, D. Stringfellow
* WR, Cyril Grayson
* WR, Caleb Scott
2 of:
* OT, Willie Beavers*
* OG, Jordan Roos*
* OL, Skyler Phillips

25 DEFENSIVE PLAYERS
(4 DEs/ 5 DTs/ 7 LBs/ 9 DBs (5 CBs))

26 DE: Frank Clark
27 DE: Quentin Jefferson
28 DE: Rasheem Greene
29 DE: Branden Jackson
———
30 DT: Jarran Reed
31 DT: Shamar Stephens
32 DT: Tom Johnson
33 DT: Nazair Jones
34 DT: Poona Ford
———
35 LEO: Erik Walden
———
36 SLB: Barkevious Mingo
37 SLB: Jacob Martin
38 MLB: Bobby Wagner
39 MLB: DJ Alexander
40 WLB: KJ Wright
41 WLB: Shaquem Griffin
* Was iffy keeping Alexander as backup MLB but with Wright’s availability up in air, Alexander’s experience at WLB is needed. Calitro could also be a similar player, so either works.
———
42 RCB: Byron Maxwell
43 RCB: Tre Flowers
44 FS: Earl Thomas
45 FS: Tedric Thompson
46 SS: Bradley McDougald
47 SS: Delano Hill
48 LCB: Shaquill Griffin
49 LCB: Dontae Johnson
50 NCB: Justin Coleman
* Kept Johnson over Thorpe as I felt Johnson’s starting experience has value.

PUP LOVE: Just like last season Seahawks choose to go the Physically Unable To Perform designation with DE Dion Jordan. Allowing him to come back as a fresh mid-season option for the 2nd half of the season when injuries are likely to have taken its toll by then. If activated then replace Jordan with Walden.

EARL GRAY (Trade Scenario): Trade Earl Thomas to Oakland (Not Dallas). Optimistically, I would love a package of:

Earl Thomas + 2019 3rd Round Pick
For
Bruce Irvin + 2019 2nd Round Pick

But... I wouldn’t be opposed to just a player swap. I mean 2 years of Bruce Irvin is still better than 1 year of a disgruntled Earl Thomas.

Roster Changes with Trade:
Out: Erik Walden (w/ him going to Ghost Roster)
In: Bruce Irvin for DE#2 or perhaps SLB#1

Out: Earl Thomas
In: Maurice Alexander

Practice Squad Candidates (*if eligible)
1 of:
* LB, Austin Calitro
* LB, Emmanuel Beal
3 of:
CB, Akeem King*
CB, Trovon Reed*
CB, Jeremy Boykins
DB, Mike Tyson
FS, Lorenzo Jerome
SS, TJ Mutcherson
——
Special Teams: 3
51 PNTR: Michael Dickson
52 KCKR: Sebastian Janokowski
53 SNPR: Tyler Ott
——
Ghost Roster (if Available when Needed):
QB, Austin Davis
FB, Tre Madden
OG, JR Sweezy
CB, Neiko Thorpe
SS, Maurice Alexander (on roster until Thomas *if and when* shows up)

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3anhez3w said:
Nice list but I didn't see you address OT Jamarco Jones.

Thanks!

Jamarco Jones will undoubtedly be put on IR and potentially recalled if he heals quickly.

j hawk

Reaction score
1- QB Wilson 26-DE-Walden
2-QB-Mcgough 27-DE-Clark
3-RB-Carson 28-DE-Greene
4-Penny 29-DE-Jordan

rjdriver

Reaction score
Great list and post. Every year there is always a WTF head scratcher. I'm curious as to who it will be this year.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Wow, I think you did a great job here! I don't think I can better it with my own guesses.

*Whether they go with Davis or McGough mostly depends on whether they think McGough clears waivers, so that they can continue practicing with all three QBs.

*They may not keep a FB, which they signaled by not using Madden in critical Preseason Game #3. I don't think Madden has done enough to make the roster on his own merits. They may sign Madden or someone else, after the initial roster is set, so as not to guarantee his salary.

* Reynolds vs. Johnson is interesting. I love Reynolds. I think he offers more potential as a WR than Johnson. But Johnson has great speed/size and has excelled on coverage teams. On the other hand, Reynolds functions as a potential backup returner. It would great if they kept both.

* I'm not sure Swoopes makes the roster; not a great blocker and has been quiet as a receiver. You're point on Dickson is well taken. We need a 3rd TE, especially without a solid blocking FB.

* Sweezy suffered a high ankle sprain and seems unlikely to make the roster, at least initially. They may ride with him, hoping his injury improves, or cut him and then sign him down the road as needed.

* Willie Beavers has shown great versatility in playing both guard positions and right tackle. He has also graded highly as a pass blocker, which is what you need from a backup.

* Dontae Johnson has played well and probably makes the roster over Thorpe, who is more expensive and is dealing with some injuries.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Great guesses at this point.

I think Reynolds will get a shot to make the team on special teams (kick returner) on Thursday. If he does well then they could easily justify the 6th WR with this group and I think Moore slightly edges out Johnson.

From what I have seen Thorpe vs. Johnson vs. King vs. Reed is still very much wide open at CB.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
There is a lot of speculation right now that they may release Maxwell and then attempt to sign him down the road once his hip/groin injuries heal up. But I don’t think that happens; I think Maxwell would play if this were the regular season.

Fade

Reaction score
This isn't what I want for the 53, but who I think the Seahawks pick for the 53.

QB - Rusell Wilson
QB - Veteran Backup Waiver Claim / Trade

RB - Chris Carson
RB - Rashaad Penny
RB - Mike Davis
RB - Mr. Glass
RB - JD McKissic
FB - Waiver Claim / Trade

WR - Doug Baldwin
WR - Jaron Brown
WR - Brandon Marshall
WR - Tyler Lockett
WR - David Moore
WR - Marcus Johnson

TE - Nick Vannett
TE - Will Dissly
TE - Waiver Claim / Trade

LT - Duane Brown
LG - Ethan Pocic
--C - Justin Britt
RG - DJ Fluker
RT - Germaine Ifedi
OT - George Fant
OG - JR Sweezy
--C - Joey Hunt
OT - Isaiah Battle

26---Offense

DE Quinton Jefferson
DT Jarran Reed
DT Tom Johnson
DE Frank Clark
DE Rasheem Green
DT Naz Jones
DT Poona Ford
DE Erik Walden
DT Shamar Stephen

MB Bobby Wagner
WB KJ Wright
SB Barkevious Mingo
SB Jacob Martin
WB Shaquem Griffin
MB Austin Calitro

LC Shaquill Griffin
SS Bradley McDougald
FS Tedric Thompson
RC Byron Maxwell
NB Justin Coleman
CB Tre Flowers
SS Maurice Alexander
CB Dontae Johnson
SS Delano Hill

24---Defense

K
P
LS

PUP

DE Dion Jordan

IR

OT Jamarco Jones

NFI

TE Ed Dickson

DNR

FS Earl Thomas

I wish I had better incite on how injured some of the players were. I don't think they will IR McKissic.

*EDIT* Jamarco Jones appears to be more hurt than I originally had thought he goes to IR if that is the case. Ed Dickson is NFI. He will probably stay there.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Thorpe hasn’t played at all this preseason due to a fracture in his wrist. If they release him, they save $1,850,000. Not sure why so many people are predicting him to make the roster.

Fade

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1xfsxvxa said:
Thorpe hasn’t played at all this preseason due to a fracture in his wrist. If they release him, they save $1,850,000. Not sure why so many people are predicting him to make the roster.

I didn't know that he was that injured.

Scratch him off the list.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Fade":2oiwxq8n said:
hawknation2018":2oiwxq8n said:

I didn't know that he was that injured.

Scratch him off the list.

Yeah, not sure why that has been underreported. Thorpe was right in the thick of the competition before getting hurt four weeks ago.

Also, Jamarco Jones had surgery for torn ligaments in his ankle. I’ve heard that he could be out about two months. But nothing has been officially reported on that.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2hco96ui said:

Funny, you mention it because I didn’t. I pretty much saw Thorpe in the same boat as Ryan. Cap causality.

To elaborate much of my projected roster was compiled leading up to the first pre-season game with re-assessment afterwards. With me holding off on posting because I didn’t want to be the guy to prematurely rosterbate. (Also, explains my superb organization)

I had the initially took King over Thorpe because I pretty much saw the same value with King and Thorpe. With King having way more potential being 3 years younger. Adequate CB depth with plus ST potential. However, King kind of regressed the last two games... so looking at that... I felt Dontae Johnson was a stronger player in the interim with a great chance of King landing on the PS to develop if that’s what the Seahawks wanted.

More so back on my initial roster like 2-3 weeks ago:

Austin Davis was kept over McGough.

I entertained Mike Davis filling the FB role when I learned he was pushing 240 but I didn’t see or hear anything about him getting reps as a possibility. But nonetheless I still left a true FB off roster if you can Madden that.

I actually had traded all of Vannett, Prosise, Ifedi, and Thomas to Oakland for Khalil Mack. LOL, right.

That’s when I thought Penny, McKissic, Sweezy, Jamarco Jones, and Ed Dickson were going to be healthy and putting thier stamp down on the roster.

I did keep Roos and Sweezy over Odhiambo. But fast forward I now only kept 3 OGs with Odhiambo being kept. My way of thinking is that Fant is my projected starter at RT allowing Ifedi to fill RT/RG depth. With Odhiambo filling LG/LT depth, and Battle swinging at OT.

As much as the the other guys in this thread have possibly hinted at Seahawks obtaining player X during cut downs at positions such as QB and FB. I think the biggest weakness is Joey Hunt. Seahawks basically have to keep him because he’s the best option however it kills me he’s strictly an OC only back-up. I feel the Seahawks could solve a lot of depth issues by getting a back-up OC that can play all interior positions ala LJP. I was really debating for keeping Phillips or Roberts over Hunt but couldn’t see the team doing so.

I don’t think my projected practice squad options is gonna hold up, as history tells us probably half the PS will be constructed with players not on roster.

Also, wouldn’t surprise me if the Seahawks continue the trend of sending a late round pick to pick up a DB they like. I believe they did this with McCray, Thorpe, and Coleman, plus 1 or 2 more whose names escape me.

And one more thing that wasn’t mentioned for the Seahawks to I.R. Jarmarco Jones and McKissic for that matter both will have to make the initial 53 before converting to non-waiver I.R. So we should keep that in mind some what. Although I have McKissic making the roster and remaining inactive until healthy.

Jones would be as simple as Erik Walden left off the 53 until Week 2. Although that gets trickier if Jordan gets reinstated or hypothetically my trade for Irvin becomes reality. But we have guys to make it work like Branden Jackson or Dontae Johnson in my own projections who the Seahawks could survive without until Week 2. But Walden, more or less, is a representation of the last guy on the roster. Not a judgement of his skill or ability just that he might be the easiest to move, release, re-sign, etc. if need be.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thorpe was a very solid player for the team last season. He’s ST phenom and a reasonable quality backup CB. If he’s healthy he’s worth keeping.

chris98251

Reaction score
We will wait to see everyone else's hand before announcing them, we did pretty much that last year also.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Chris your observation is right on, their patterns have been consistent over the years for sure. We always seem to the last team reporting our cuts.

If nothing else though, there has to be at least several players that they know won’t be kept by them. I guess if they want to get a few clear of waivers then there is just the minimum time of the waivers period to get through before they can be added back to the PS.