Your ideal offseason in 3-5 easy steps

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":37co1lyr said:
OMG. Cut McDougald and make Blair the starter and we're ok???...Hahahahahahaha. Laughable on many levels. Get a the DL FIXED and the back end is ok, and that includes everyone's whippin boy Flowers.

I said I don't want to cut McDougald.

But if you're not starting your high 2nd round safety by year two, that's a failed and wasted pick to me.

THE TABS

Reaction score
Largent80":2ns6iriy said:
OMG. Cut McDougald and make Blair the starter and we're ok???...Hahahahahahaha. Laughable on many levels. Get a the DL FIXED and the back end is ok, and that includes everyone's whippin boy Flowers.

YES. Blair needs to be the SS going forward alongside Diggs. I’ve seen enough of Blair to know he needs to be in the lineup.

Use that money to beef up BOTH lines, which desperately need it.

knownone

Reaction score
2_0_6":2htymjo3 said:
A trade for Jamal Adams would likely take something similar to the Frank Clark trade. I would LOVE him here, but I don't want to mortgage our picks when we have so many damn holes already.
If he cost us what we got for Frank, I'd do it in a heart beat.

That would be the 27th pick, and next years 2nd round pick. Leaving us with two 2nd round picks, a 3rd, two 4ths, a 5th, and two 6ths this season. Assuming all of our compensatory picks work out as expected.

THE TABS

Reaction score
Largent80":zp1dnv94 said:
Cut Britt?. Did you see Hunt in the backfield during a hand off more than once. I DID. He did a decent job but he's clearly a liability....Who do you propose is the C?

Already said it, Biadiasz. Number 1 center on the board from Wisconsin.

Personally, I’d take ANY Badger o-lineman these days. They’re cranking them out every year, it seems

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":1r6btzjy said:
2_0_6":1r6btzjy said:
A trade for Jamal Adams would likely take something similar to the Frank Clark trade. I would LOVE him here, but I don't want to mortgage our picks when we have so many damn holes already.

That would be the 27th pick, and next years 2nd round pick. Leaving us with two 2nd round picks, a 3rd, two 4ths, a 5th, and two 6ths this season. Assuming all of our compensatory picks work out as expected.

Adam's is in the last year of his rookie deal, so yes it'd take a Frank Clark type first rounder minimum type deal.

Even that might not be enough for the Jets, as I assume if they're shopping him there'd be a LOT of teams interested in one of the top 2-3 SS's in the league.

Would love him on our team, obviously. But we've got McDougald and Blair, so if we're addressing positions of need with trades giving up high picks? I'd rather focus on the D-line or CB spot.

StoneCold

Reaction score
1. Bolster the DL with pass rush as emphasis, we need depth to overcome injury and keep people fresh.
2. Bolster OL, with Center and TE as emphasis, we need depth to overcome injury.
3. Draft or Sign DB's with speed and length.
4. Hope our RB's heal, and if it doesn't look like it's happening, draft an RB, cut Prosise.
5. Kick back and enjoy a well earned mai tai.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":29jg6joe said:
knownone":29jg6joe said:
2_0_6":29jg6joe said:

Adam's is in the last year of his rookie deal, so yes it'd take a Frank Clark type first rounder minimum type deal.

Even that might not be enough for the Jets, as I assume if they're shopping him there'd be a LOT of teams interested in one of the top 2-3 SS's in the league.

Would love him on our team, obviously. But we've got McDougald and Blair, so if we're addressing positions of need with trades giving up high picks? I'd rather focus on the D-line or CB spot.

Exactly, picks are one thing but he's going to want a new MEGA contract. I can't see there being enough slices of pie for both him and Clowney to get their deals done.

Largent80

Reaction score
THE TABS":157tg7rr said:
Largent80":157tg7rr said:
Cut Britt?. Did you see Hunt in the backfield during a hand off more than once. I DID. He did a decent job but he's clearly a liability....Who do you propose is the C?

Already said it, Biadiasz. Number 1 center on the board from Wisconsin.

Personally, I’d take ANY Badger o-lineman these days. They’re cranking them out every year, it seems

Cesar Ruiz, a Center for a decade.

https://mgoblue.com/sports/football/ros ... ruiz/19069

bbsplitter

Reaction score
IMO in order of priority

#1 Fix the slot corner position. High draft pick, good free agent, whatever they need to do to get it done. We need a body we can trust there, the NFL is a passing league and we need every excuse to keep Pete from heaping too much responsibility on the linebackers unlike this past year.

#2 Sign Clowney or have a clear vision of improving your pass rush. Clowney IMO deserves a market value extension, which will be a lot of money most likely. However if you need to over pay to keep him, let him walk. That is just my personal sentiment on every player though, no matter how talented. If they let him walk though, they better damn well be actual "players" in free agency this year instead of sitting back and letting the scraps fall in their laps. That worked for Avril and Bennett, but that is usually the exception to the rule.

#3 Fire our strength and conditioning coach. (Some people have suggested Brian Schneider as well, which I would not be opposed to either). There are multiple sources that seem pretty clear cut that he causes problems and injuries wherever he goes. I would let Norton know that we are going to go out and get him some better talent, but make him aware that once we have that talent, this could be a make or break year for him. I would say if we under perform on defense again but it appears we have pretty good personnel, he should be gone at the end of this next year.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3je8kboc said:
My ideal off season in one big step. Use 80% of our draft picks and 80% of our cap space on the defense.

At 8 picks that would be about 6.5 on offense. Now, I suspect there will be trades down and the Hawks end up with my picks, but at 8 picks, I'd think a 5-3, maybe. 6-2, split would be good. They need some OL help (I'd like to see two picks along the OL), probably a TE. Maybe, maybe an RB though I'm not sure.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Here are my 3-5:

1. Carroll take some time to really challenge himself and see where he makes mistakes. Adjust accordingly.
2. Clowney and Reed (I'm economizing by putting them in one).
3. Draft Dline. Just throw bodies at it and see who works, kind of like they did with WR this year. Maybe it means cutting a high pick, but that's okay if it's because he was simply out played by a lower round pick. Competition will make the line better.
4. Blair needs to see the field more next year, but I don't think cutting McDougald is the right move this season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
1. Re-sign Clowney, Fant to play RT, Reed (he'll likely be inexpensive enough)
2. Sign Dante Fowler in FA
3. Draft Caesar Ruiz round 1 or if the cash is there and the price is right to re-sign Britt, draft a stud G. Draft Hunter Henry in round 3 or 4. Draft a stud WR in round 2 (the draft is very deep there)...never too many weapons for RW
4. Sign a lower priced DT in FA that is good at rushing the passer e.g. Danny Shelton and a later career (i.e. cheaper) DE that can spell Clowney and Fowler and can freaking stay healthy (Vic Beasley?)
5. Address the slot CB in FA

Vaclav44

Reaction score
Largent80":1wztj7uj said:
Thank gawd we aren't coaches or draft, talent evaluators because ......

So, Largent80, aside from your pooping on everyone else's ideas, what are your top ideas? I'm dying to know. From your comments you know what we shouldn't do here, but what should we do? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just curious.