Zach Charbonnet

Throwdown

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Rumor has it, that man is still in orbit til this day

AgentDib

Reaction score
There is an interesting discussion to be had here about RB usage, because thus far we haven't really been using Charbs as either a 1-2 punch or as the thunder to Walker's lightning.

Modern NFL theory on RB rotation is that you try to give guys entire drives and that's what we've been doing. The idea is that it lets the back gets into a groove with repeated snaps and contact. The downside of course is that we had a few Walker short yardage snaps that I would have rather had Charbs in on, and then some first down carries for Charbs where Walker would have been more suited to the lack of OL run blocking.

In my view our two lead backs have such different styles that we should try to split the difference more between letting each play their own drive, but also putting each in their best situation to succeed.

Walker has top end awareness and elusiveness which allows him to create when there's no hole, which leads to a very high YPC but also very high variance. He should get most of the 1st and 10s, particularly when we have so many backup OL in who can't form a consistent hole.

Charbs is a downhill throwback runner who looks for contact and has a lower ceiling but a higher floor. I want to see him in the game on most 3rd/4th and 1s even if it's supposed to be Walker's drive.

Chawker

Reaction score
Sam Frankin jr 6'3" 210 his arrival has now been changed to Tocoma and will be arriving at gate #26 soon.... I hope.

I've always wonder what its like to fly._. Zach hit him at the 2 yardline and he landed 3 yds deep in the endzone. (Out of bounce of coarse) Thats 15 feet !

Flying Frankin. LOB Pride !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JPatera76

JPatera76

Reaction score

13:30 KJ and Gee are loving what Charbs is doing lol

olyfan63

Reaction score
There is an interesting discussion to be had here about RB usage, because thus far we haven't really been using Charbs as either a 1-2 punch or as the thunder to Walker's lightning.

Modern NFL theory on RB rotation is that you try to give guys entire drives and that's what we've been doing. The idea is that it lets the back gets into a groove with repeated snaps and contact. The downside of course is that we had a few Walker short yardage snaps that I would have rather had Charbs in on, and then some first down carries for Charbs where Walker would have been more suited to the lack of OL run blocking.

In my view our two lead backs have such different styles that we should try to split the difference more between letting each play their own drive, but also putting each in their best situation to succeed.

Walker has top end awareness and elusiveness which allows him to create when there's no hole, which leads to a very high YPC but also very high variance. He should get most of the 1st and 10s, particularly when we have so many backup OL in who can't form a consistent hole.

Charbs is a downhill throwback runner who looks for contact and has a lower ceiling but a higher floor. I want to see him in the game on most 3rd/4th and 1s even if it's supposed to be Walker's drive.
I hear what you're saying, and to some extent agree, but I think people, including you, are selling Walker short as a short yardage back. Eventually there will be stats and trends that make the case for one or the other, but for now, what I'm seeing...

Walker does an excellent job of seeing and picking which hole to bust through, and is consistently being successful this year in goal line/short yardage situations. The eye test so far says that the chances of Walker scoring on 3rd and goal from the 1 or 2 yard line are as good or better than with Charbonnet. Different styles. Last year, I would have agreed with your view. Walker made great progress at running between the tackles over the course of last year.

I would agree that if hit in the backfield, Charbonnet stands a better chance of bouncing off and making a positive play. It's just that Walker is so quick and elusive that there's just as good a chance he makes the defender miss in the backfield, and wouldn't need to "bounce off". Walker is like a slightly smaller version of the great Curt Warner, and the 80's Hawks used Warner tons at the goal line, with great success.

I was an elite RB in middle school, lol. I know that I would have been super-unhappy to be subbed out once the drive gets into first-and-goal. Luckily there was no other decent option on that team. In any case, K9 can resolve this dilemma by simply taking 70+ yard runs to the house, like he did last year, and skipping the first-and-goal scenario entirely.

Please, if the stats and eye test convincingly show me wrong as the season goes along, come back and rub it in a little. Seriously. I'd rather be eventually correct than "right". Right now, Waldron seems to have confidence in Walker in short yardage and goal line and the TD stats show it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The data historically supports the argument that Walker is higher variance/higher average while Charbonnet is lower variance/lower average. On Sunday Walker was stellar with 156 yards on 21 total touches for 7.4 yards per touch and a 10.47 yard standard deviation. Charbonnet had a lower average (5.5 yards per touch) but his standard deviation was also much less (5.46 yards). I would be surprised if this is ever not the case given the polar opposite running styles.

I am definitely not criticizing Walker. His patience and vision remind me of Barry Sanders, and I wouldn't want him to trade off trying to hit home runs for crashing into traffic for short gains. I'd like to see him get the ball more often on first downs, particularly while our offensive line is a patchwork.
I know that I would have been super-unhappy to be subbed out once the drive gets into first-and-goal. Luckily there was no other decent option on that team. In any case, K9 can resolve this dilemma by simply taking 70+ yard runs to the house, like he did last year, and skipping the first-and-goal scenario entirely.
Good point, this is an important factor. Splitting drives between guys avoids showing favoritism on those valuable goal to go opportunities. Plus, it may be a lot more incentive earlier in the drive if you think you'll be left in once the team is in the red zone.

At the end of the day though, this team has been looking for physicality since Carson had to retire. We saw a little bit of that on defense with Witherspoon on Sunday. If our OL ever gets healthy then Charbonnet has the potential to bring that tone setting presence on offense in the short yardage game that says the Hawks can impose their will on other teams.

keasley45

Reaction score
im waiting to see them both in the backfield at the same time. Rather tha telegraphing what type of run is coming given the skillsets these guys possess, put them both back there and let the defense trying to figure it out.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
im waiting to see them both in the backfield at the same time. Rather tha telegraphing what type of run is coming given the skillsets these guys possess, put them both back there and let the defense trying to figure it out.

And how 'bout putting both of 'em back there and then throwing?