Mike Freeman The Worst Offensive Draft Class in Years

ivotuk

Reaction score
Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: The Worst Offensive Draft Class in Years

"The scout is one of the more respected in football, and based on interviews with a half-dozen personnel evaluators, he's not the only one who feels this way. (Well, the Dilfer comparison is a little extreme.) His overall point wasn't just about quarterbacks, and it wasn't crazy, either. This is what he was saying:

Not only is the quarterback talent in this draft barely above average. The overall offensive talent is as well.

"This is one of the worst drafts for offensive talent in the past four or five years," the scout said.

One thing that factors into this belief: Wide receivers ran the slowest 40-yard dash times since 2011. Speed certainly isn't everything, but it has become a large part of football"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2620 ... s-in-years

kearly

Reaction score
It's probably the worst WR group I can remember. One of the worst TE groups too. QB, RB, OL are basically average. There have been a lot of good drafts for offense recently, so yeah, this is probably the worst draft for offense since 2009.

I don't think it's a whole lot better on defense, at least not for teams like Seattle looking for athletes with production.

Every draft has 10-20 hidden gems within it. Hopefully Seattle can snag a couple of them.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
QB is lacking overall, WR and TE are extremely top heavy with even the top guys being worse than most previous years. RB looks decent though and I'm pretty impressed by the OL group. It's a bit of a mixed bag.

Hawks46

Reaction score
You're seeing the trends in college football.

The traditional in line TE is a dying breed. There's fewer truly good ones every year.

QBs are taking longer to acclimate to the NFL from the spread. There's been 2-3 decent ones, then it really just falls apart.

Offensive Line has been noted time and again as getting worse and worse. There's literally not one NFL team that can't claim one position on the OL as a position of need.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I don't think this QB class is bad at all. You have three guys with bona fide shots at starting as Rookies (Jared Goff, Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch). And there are some other guys like Dak Prescott that may have some upside. Compare this to 2013!

Here are the QB's in the 2013 draft:

Geno Smith
Mike Glennon
Matt Barkley
EJ Manuel
Landry Jones

Ack, now THAT is a bad draft class.

I agree, BTW, that this WR class looks very slow. And speed is important for WR's, but it's not the only thing. One of the best young WR's in the league is Allen Robinson. He ran a 4.6 40.

So we'll see...

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think the bad offensive selection is what is pumping up the defensive player rankings.