TE thoughts

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
I keep wondering about drafting a tight end. The conventional wisdom is "we have Miller and McCoy, we are set". But... last year it was clear they wanted to find that "play maker". They tried it with Winslow, he didn't work out...they signed Evan Moore, he didn't work out either.

Something tells me they still want to find one. McCoy has his moments, but I still think like they would love to add a #2 who can really pressurize a defense.

Thoughts? If so, where (round) do we grab one?

Sac

Reaction score
I think about tight ends all the time. Definitely wouldn't mine grabbing some more.

Largent80

Reaction score
Sac is in need of a TE that can grab multiple balls for over 60 minutes. Wait, that is ABSOLUT. :shock:

sutz

Reaction score
Well, Pete is all about competition. Would not surprise me to see at least one TE drafted. I'm no draft guru, but one of the hybrid TE/WR/H-back types would be ideal.

Pete likes versatility, too.

:)

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
sutz":16xepa8f said:
Well, Pete is all about competition. Would not surprise me to see at least one TE drafted. I'm no draft guru, but one of the hybrid TE/WR/H-back types would be ideal.

Pete likes versatility, too.

:)

Agreed.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Personally i'd skip it this year unless some extreme value drops into our laps with a TE who has fallen.

I think with Miller, McCoy, McGrath and the basketball dude we have more then enough depth this year. And as i've been saying for a few months now I hope next year's #1 pick is spent on a TE.

penihawk

Reaction score
I hope we grab one at some point early if the value is there. I think Miller will be asked to restructure or a cap casualty when we start into the world of long term deals for the young core players in the next couple years. There are 4 or 5 guys that fit the bill between the 2nd and 5th rds imo.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
This is a very good year for TE's there will still be some good TE's in the 5th if we hadn't drafted one already. I keep wavering between the TE/WR "joker" or the FB/TE "H-Back". The versatility from either would nice, and I could also see bringing in a traditional TE to learn and grow under Miller.

Pete has wanted a good #2 TE, he was P&J'd with Miller and Carlson before the injury, he brought in Winslow. I believe Pete wants to do more 2 TE sets so adding a versitile TE makes too much sense, what round and what type is the only question.

two dog

Reaction score
I have been on Travis Kelce's train for awhile now. Probably have to use too high a pick for him though.

A couple of other thoughts: How about Dion Sims, Michigan State. He's 6'5"-262 with speed as good
as the guys ranked ahead of him.

Chris Gregg. Arkansas, is 6'3"-244, but the dude is fast, sub 4.5 I've heard.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I lean traditional inline TE because we got a very versatile Harvin and Miller may need prodding into a restructure or be a cap casualty next year. I would agree with Travis Kelce.

Doesn't make sense to me to go get an inferior blocking joker when Giacomini and his replacement are likely going to need help in pass pro.

Possibly a halfback/fullback type like Kyle Juszczyk if he can also play inline.

SDHawk

Reaction score
The new Gronkowski and Hernandez (without the drunken misadventures)

Kyle Juszczyk and Ryan Otten

[youtube]uS54FxLGpkk[/youtube]

[youtube]I9ZPMfha0bU[/youtube]

McGruff

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2ghz8ypo said:
Personally i'd skip it this year unless some extreme value drops into our laps with a TE who has fallen.

I think with Miller, McCoy, McGrath and the basketball dude we have more then enough depth this year. And as i've been saying for a few months now I hope next year's #1 pick is spent on a TE.

You lost me after Miller.

McCoy - probably the most frustrating player on the team, he got off to a horrible start in his career, only to bring the pieces together in the middle of year three. But at the end of the season to wheels fell off again and he reverted back to bad habits. Can't say I'm excited about him.

Morrah - the most potential as a pass catcher, but injuries are starting to be an issue, and its time to move on from him.

McGrath - Sean is a solid all around pass catcher, but not a threat to a defense. He's a poor man's Zach Miller.

What we need is a good sized target up the middle to take pressure off of The WR's and who can make plays with his speed. That's the ideal compliment to Miller, and we don't have that on our roster.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I suspect it is a high on the want list. The Seattle receiving corps lack the big body stout guy that has good speed. Ideally I think a Joker.

I think that is what they want to add and have play with alongside Miller.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Frankly, I doubt their is any strong need for the Seahawks to draft a high round TE.

Since this draft class is strong in this department... a lot of teams will be cutting some of their players after their draft... it also wouldn't surprise me to see John Carlson cut because of Zach Rudolph.

Seahawks have Miller, whom is as good of a TE you need in our system, he's not superbly fast or athletic but he's one of the best blockers in the league at the position and is a solid receiver as well.

But with the addition of Harvin who we all know is a dynamic player as a motion slot reciever, I just now think the move TE/ Joker TE is now a little more non-essential especially considering whether or not this player will get snaps over our other weapons and we have a few.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3lzyi471 said:
Frankly, I doubt their is any strong need for the Seahawks to draft a high round TE.

Since this draft class is strong in this department... a lot of teams will be cutting some of their players after their draft... it also wouldn't surprise me to see John Carlson cut because of Zach Rudolph.

Seahawks have Miller, whom is as good of a TE you need in our system, he's not superbly fast or athletic but he's one of the best blockers in the league at the position and is a solid receiver as well.

But with the addition of Harvin who we all know is a dynamic player as a motion slot reciever, I just now think the move TE/ Joker TE is now a little more non-essential especially considering whether or not this player will get snaps over our other weapons and we have a few.

I completely agree. With how many offensive weapons we have now, I highly doubt they would see enough snaps to warrant a 5th or higher pick. Especially considering we are probably going to pick up a few extra WR's in this draft. That being said, Miller's cap hit next year is set to be something ridiculous like 12 million. Considering that, it would be a good safety precaution to draft a blocking TE. Blocking was Millers main job last year, and only towards the end of the season did he really get any catches once the O-line finally started to figure it out.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think it's been stated on this site that this year is Miller's last big cap hit, after that it drops off a ton. If that's the case, then I don't see us cutting him anytime soon. He's also still fairly young, so I see him making the end of this contract.

McCoy is hard to get a read on. I see us keeping him this year but if he doesn't improve, they will bring more talent in to push him and he might get beat out.

I like all I've heard about Kelce, but it's starting to sound like he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder at this point.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Miller's going nowhere.

I'm in the camp of the Hawks using a 3rd or a 4th this year to draft another TE.

I would like Escobar or McDonald.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
bbsplitter":90mih13t said:
Miller's cap hit does drop off, after looking into it, but only to 7 million. Which is substantial from 11 million but also not deserving an immediate dismissal of cut-possibility. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... ch-miller/

I don't think Miller sees the end of his deal either, he's a really solid tight end but with the money he makes you would expect Pro Bowl production and that simply hasn't been the case.