Late night weird game...Wisconsin vs. ASU

jake206

Reaction score
Gotta be up their with one of the weirdest endings. ASU 32-Wisconsin 30. Wisconsin QB places the ball on the ground with less than 18 sec. left in the game, thinking its dead ball. ASU defensive player jumps on it, to end the game... Time runs out before refs can stop game.

Red Beard

Reaction score
jake206":1wdbege7 said:
Gotta be up their with one of the weirdest endings. ASU 32-Wisconsin 30. Wisconsin QB places the ball on the ground with less than 10 sec. left in the game, thinking its dead ball. ASU defensive player jumps on it, to end the game...

The player laid on it for quite a few seconds. By the time they got off of it and the refs spotted it, their hands were up to end the game so Wisconsin couldn't snap it in time.

Biggest officiating blunder I've seen....Never been the type to question motives, but that was atrocious. ASU player should have got a delay penalty. This coming from not caring who won....

JSeahawks

Reaction score
It was a stupid play by Wisconsin, they should have just spiked it, but they wanted to get the ball to the center of the field for their kicker.

After that, the refs completely bungled it.

First they blew their whistle for a dead ball. (but didn't stop the clock)
Then allowed the ASU player just to lay on the ball (should have been a delay of game)
Then, with the clock running the official stood over the ball not allowing Wisconsin to snap it.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I was waiting for another epic ASU choke job, as I predicted as soon as that moron Norvell called a pass play with a buck-and-change left on the clock. Then the 51 yard completion downfield...terrible. Thankfully, Wisky's QB is an idiot that apparently never learned how to spike the football and didn't realize that Pac-12 refs are as incompetent as he is, so they would be no help in correcting his error.

Man, Stanford is going to STOMP us next week...

EDIT: Just watched it again. Stave didn't take a knee. That's a live ball. Should have been ASU's ball anyway. Epic choke job by their QB.

Red Beard

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3hykvppx said:
I was waiting for another epic ASU choke job, as I predicted as soon as that moron Norvell called a pass play with a buck-and-change left on the clock. Then the 51 yard completion downfield...terrible. Thankfully, Wisky's QB is an idiot that apparently never learned how to spike the football and didn't realize that Pac-12 refs are as incompetent as he is, so they would be no help in correcting his error.

EDIT: Just watched it again. Stave didn't take a knee. That's a live ball. Should have been ASU's ball anyway. Epic choke job by their QB.

I saw the knee hit. At first, I thought he just acted like he was taking a knee, but after looking closer, it's on the ground. Still, you don't set the ball down...you hand it to the ref to keep the other team from wasting time on the clock. Either way, I laughed real hard at that epic ending.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Why didn't they spike it and get the FG unit out? I've never seen a QB just place the ball down. He gave himself up, he didn't stop the clock.

Stupid Wisconsin QB. Smart job by ASU. That's not delay of game, that's trying to gain possession, the referee didn't spot the ball.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Anyone who can't understand why ASU jumped on the ball is being dumb. And while the officials could have done better, who knew what that QB was doing?

What a horrible ending to a good game. The refs running away looked really bad.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
What a dumb ass decision from Wisconsin. Why get cute? Spike the ball and ask your kicker to get the points from close in. Who cares if it's on the right hash? It's still a straight forward kick.

You get cute, you lose the game. They deserved to lose for that.

Red Beard

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":36xim37s said:
Yeah, pics show the knee got down. In my defense, it sure didn't look like it from the view that I had. I still have no clue why anyone was getting cute with the football like that.

Agreed. I don't even think they should have been down the field that far to begin with as the review on the 50+ yard catch & run was conclusive to me that the guy stepped out of bounds at least one time. Regardless, that was full of fail. LOL.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":d7f4mxg5 said:

Smelly are you an ASU grad?

Looked like he tried to take a knee. Maybe even did for a split second then just popped up and placed the ball.

Feel like the refs should have stopped play and did SOMETHING....

JSeahawks

Reaction score
They had 17 seconds when they snapped the ball on the last play. That's an eternity. They should have been able to run two plays and spike it if they wanted.

Refs botched it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":m5043zcq said:
Uncle Si":m5043zcq said:
Smelly are you an ASU grad?

Yes, but please do not judge me too harshly.

No way man.... Graduated there in 1997. Great college. Great time

fenderbender123

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1r1v4a44 said:
Why didn't they spike it and get the FG unit out? I've never seen a QB just place the ball down. He gave himself up, he didn't stop the clock.

Stupid Wisconsin QB. Smart job by ASU. That's not delay of game, that's trying to gain possession, the referee didn't spot the ball.

YES!

Thank you for saying that. It's not a delay of game penalty if the referee hasn't spotted the ball already. Defenses pounce on the football all the time when they think it's a fumble, but it never gets called. Sometimes a defender will even pick up a dead ball and run the other direction for 50 yards...and that never gets called either.

I agree...Wisconsin should have thought things through before running that play. Not a smart idea.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
fenderbender123":35k4oppw said:
SonicHawk":35k4oppw said:

YES!

Thank you for saying that. It's not a delay of game penalty if the referee hasn't spotted the ball already. Defenses pounce on the football all the time when they think it's a fumble, but it never gets called. Sometimes a defender will even pick up a dead ball and run the other direction for 50 yards...and that never gets called either.

I agree...Wisconsin should have thought things through before running that play. Not a smart idea.

you said "Wisconsin, thought and smart" in the same sentence...bless you

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
If he took a knee, it doesn't seem like it would have been obvious to anyone, it looks more like he bumped off his blocker and the just placed the ball on the ground.

However, the refs blew the whistles like 5 times.