Cheat sheet on UW

Brithawk

Reaction score
Ok so after a few years of watching NFL and being a hawks fan, I've decided to try and watch more college ball.

Decided on UW as the nearest team to Seattle.

I need help though, aside from Keith Price & ASJ i'm essentially clueless. Oh and the new coach as well.

I'll be watching the bowl game, who should I be looking out for as future stars?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Mediocrity.

Something about ancient championships.

"Next year we'll be back"

That's all you need to know to be a uw fan.

KK84

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2gfrifdw said:
Mediocrity.

You're just mad the 2 programs are headed in opposite directions. Oregon had its run of conference dominance, and has no natty to show for it. They missed their window, unlike USC and UW.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
KK84":33bk0eoq said:
JSeahawks":33bk0eoq said:
Mediocrity.

You're just mad the 2 programs are headed in opposite directions. Oregon had its run of conference dominance, and has no natty to show for it. They missed their window, unlike USC and UW.

See there we go, ancient championships and next year is our year. :D

Crabhawk

Reaction score
On offense I like Stringfellow (WR) for the future. He got his shot when Williams went out with the broken leg. 6'3", 225lbs. Big body and looks like he has the bone structure to match. He's a true freshman and it was pretty exciting what he showed on the field late this season.

I'm not as excited about our RBs outside of Sankey. Washington shows flashes, but he's fumbly. Cooper is a feel good story, so I'm pulling for him.

Assuming Austin Seferian-Jenkins doesn't stay another year, I think Perkins has shown some real potential in receiving. He may have benefited from the extra coverage ASJ draws, but he did well with his opportunities.

On defense I love Shaq Thompson. He was a heavily recruited Cal commit before de-committing to Cal and coming to UW when Tosh Lupoi left Cal to coach at UW. He came out of high school as a safety, but he has a big frame and has switched to LB. He's for real.

Kikaha had a great showing this year, after a serious knee injury last year. He's an athletic 250 lb DE and fun to watch.

Marcus Peters is one of our best DBs. My view on DB height has changed thanks to the Seahawks, so he seems short at 5'11". He's quick and has good instincts.

Don't listen to JSea, he's just mad that his Ducks are so talented but can never seem to close the deal.

drrew

Reaction score
Brithawk":2jprpp9x said:
Ok so after a few years of watching NFL and being a hawks fan, I've decided to try and watch more college ball.

Decided on UW as the nearest team to Seattle.

I need help though, aside from Keith Price & ASJ i'm essentially clueless. Oh and the new coach as well.

I'll be watching the bowl game, who should I be looking out for as future stars?

If you're looking at guys who will be around after this season:

RB: #12 Dwayne Washington RS FR - big running back, upright style with long speed, will put up 1k next year if Sankey goes pro
WR: #1 John Ross FR: small jitterbug type of receiver elite speed
WR: #9 Damore'ea Stringfellow FR: big WR, 6'3 225 as a freshman, could be an absolute beast by Jr year, and he's damn good now
DE: #8: Hau'oli Kikaha RS JR: great FR season, then multiple blown knees, and then a huge finish to this season, could push for all Pac12 honors next season if healthy
LB #7: Shaq Thompson SO: Obscene combination of speed and size, plays LB now, may be a S in NFL, will play at next level
LB #41: Travis Feeney SO: Looks too tall/thin, but hits hard and really came on late this season
CB: #21: Marcus Peters SO: Very good college CB, starting to get buzz as potential first round talent

This team has a bright future, the concerns will be what players leave since there's always turnover with a new staff and whether they can somewhat salvage this recruiting class. It was going to be small anyway, it just can't be a total loss.

OP
OP
B

Brithawk

Reaction score
Cheers, that's a great help.

The only way I could support Oregon was if I was colourblind

KK84

Reaction score
JSeahawks":20ec96dx said:
KK84":20ec96dx said:
JSeahawks":20ec96dx said:
Mediocrity.

I'm not even a UW fan really, those are just facts. Oregon has been a huge disappointment in representing the PAC, and no one can deny they're headed in the wrong direction after Chip left, and UW just massively upgraded at HC.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
KK84":37pz35p0 said:
JSeahawks":37pz35p0 said:
KK84":37pz35p0 said:
JSeahawks":37pz35p0 said:
Mediocrity.

I'm not even a UW fan really, those are just facts. Oregon has been a huge disappointment in representing the PAC, and no one can deny they're headed in the wrong direction after Chip left, and UW just massively upgraded at HC.

How have they been a huge diss appointment representing the PAC? They lost a national title in the last minute, and then they've won the last 2 bcs games they were in. What's disappointing about that?

As for the direction, they had a bit of a hiccup at the end of this season, but this current recruiting class might be the best ever, and they still have a ton of young talent that hasn't even played yet, and they got mariotA coming back. The future is still very bright.

Tical21

Reaction score
Oregon fans are so cute. Just getting the barbs in while he can, cause he knows they're headed right back to 30 more years of non-existence.

SarG3Hawk

Reaction score
Dang I didn't know being 10-2 is heading in the wrong direction. On top of that Oregon still clobbered UW in seattle...again.

On topic, I wouldn't mind seeing stringfellow stay in Seattle and catch some passes from DangeRuss in a couple of years.

CPHawk

Reaction score
UW fans do understand you hired a coach who can't recruit, and the commits UW had are running away like rats off a sinking ship? All that, and a guy, Tosh, UW paid way to much just to recruit, is now recruiting for SC even though he is still employed by UW.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
CPHawk":w1ragjbj said:
UW fans do understand you hired a coach who can't recruit, and the commits UW had are running away like rats off a sinking ship? All that, and a guy, Tosh, UW paid way to much just to recruit, is now recruiting for SC even though he is still employed by UW.

You have an unhealthy obsession with the Huskies. It's really sad.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
drrew":3kh1pyqx said:
WR: #1 John Ross FR: small jitterbug type of receiver elite speed
LB #41: Travis Feeney SO: Looks too tall/thin, but hits hard and really came on late this season
Agree on those. I'd add Timu to the mix at LB, too. I like what he's bringing. He's "high motor" and doesn't cover as well as Thompson, but he plays with passion. It's fun watching him on the field.

davidonmi

Reaction score
CPHawk":13yi90f2 said:
what basis do u have for saying he can't recruit. And the commits fleeing are a product of sark leaving, and the recruits being committed because of sark, little to do with Petersen.
Jesus

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
CPHawk":35vusnnh said:

Can't recruit? And you get this from where? Certainly Boise State has trailed behind most BCS and Pac12 schools, but they still have had a few years ranked around top 50 in recruiting, amassing a number of quality 2 and 3 star recruits. But he was recruiting student athletes to BOISE. I am not sure that the best recruiter on the planet could have consistent success recruiting athletes to a non-BCS, smaller town/program like Boise State.

Long term recruiting success is tied to success on the filed, the ability of the coaching staff to recruit - including assistant coaches, and future opportunities, whether provided by the education they received or a football program the provides training opportunity to play in the NFL. David Shaw at Stanford has all three going for him right now. Great school, winning program, NFL opportunities, and a staff that excels at recruiting. BSU was missing a few of those key components, so Petersen was limited in his recruiting. Is he a great recruiter? He may be a lot better at UW because of the advantage the school and program provide. But we really will not know if Petersen is a good recruiter until after the coaching staff is assembled, and he gets a few classes behind him. He may suck, but way too early to determine.

The previous UW staff (Sark and company) were able to recruit a few highly regarded position players over the past few years, but the failed keeping in-state lineman in-state, especially with the quality OL the state has produced the past few years. Name recognition and program success alone will catapult Petersen into recruiting opportunities in the next few years, especially in state. We may lose some California recruiting leverage, but that has not seemingly translated into major on-field success.

One other important clarification - Sark left with only 7 recruiting commitments confirmed, the lowest in the Pac12. Only one player has reopened their recruiting, but has not responded since the Petersen hiring. UW is starting the recruiting season WAY behind any other school in the conference. This year may be a "wash" - but I do not see where you get "running away like rats off a sinking ship"? This was shaping up to be an ugly year for UW recruiting regardless of what Sark chose to do.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
CPHawk":3vzmkrz6 said:

I will take a coach that can actually develop players. Sure Sark could bring in a Top 25 recruiting class but too many times did I see players who reached their peaks in their first year of playing. Petersen literally takes 2 and 3 star guys and improves them every year and a good chunk of those wind up in the NFL.

Developing Players >>>>>> Recruiting ANY DAY in College Football.

Besides...this is UW...plenty of reasons to commit other than the coach. I'll think we'll do fine.

Throwdown

Reaction score
davidonmi":25orxrse said:
CPHawk":25orxrse said:
what basis do u have for saying he can't recruit. And the commits fleeing are a product of sark leaving, and the recruits being committed because of sark, little to do with Petersen.
Jesus

He thought he was on a roll, can't blame him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
fenderbender123":3dpqg1au said:
CPHawk":3dpqg1au said:

I will take a coach that can actually develop players. Sure Sark could bring in a Top 25 recruiting class but too many times did I see players who reached their peaks in their first year of playing. Petersen literally takes 2 and 3 star guys and improves them every year and a good chunk of those wind up in the NFL.

Developing Players >>>>>> Recruiting ANY DAY in College Football.

Besides...this is UW...plenty of reasons to commit other than the coach. I'll think we'll do fine.

Exactly....One thing Sark didn't do well is recruit well in Washington. Homegrown talent. Yes he got the Kasen Williams and Sankey but there are more than that. Lost out on Myles Jack, etc. I hope Petersen invests more into homegrown players. Especially with top HS teams here. Sark didn't develop players - look at Price. I don't think he improved from his sophomore year on, as just one example.