Whats this mean for Bwagz? Thee place for Wagner contract speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidhawk

Reaction score
LolaRox":33fd25gt said:
I believe Bobby's deal will get done this year.

I'm not a cap expert or anything close, but couldn't they restructure Kam and/or MikeB to get Bobby done if they needed to?Kinda like killing multiple birds with one stone.

Teams ask players to restructure all the time, many assumed they would ask Bane to restructure earlier this offseason so maybe instead they do Kam and or Michael.

They could if it were necessary to do the deal, but it's not really necessary. Right now, after Wilson's deal, spotrac has us with $4.4 million in cap space. If Wagner gets $12 million in signing bonus, that's $2.4 million per year cap hit. That brings us down to $2 million left. That's tight but doable.

bigwrm

Reaction score
kidhawk":2bi1j2tj said:
LolaRox":2bi1j2tj said:
I believe Bobby's deal will get done this year.

I'm not a cap expert or anything close, but couldn't they restructure Kam and/or MikeB to get Bobby done if they needed to?Kinda like killing multiple birds with one stone.

Teams ask players to restructure all the time, many assumed they would ask Bane to restructure earlier this offseason so maybe instead they do Kam and or Michael.

They could if it were necessary to do the deal, but it's not really necessary. Right now, after Wilson's deal, spotrac has us with $4.4 million in cap space. If Wagner gets $12 million in signing bonus, that's $2.4 million per year cap hit. That brings us down to $2 million left. That's tight but doable.

Wouldn't it be $2.4 million + his 2015 base salary? That makes the cap hit more than $3 million. Although if they go with an $8 million signing bonus, it would get closer to your figure.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Bobby has always been the biggest question mark for me in terms of a long term deal. I always figured they'd go cheap at LB and then they gave KJ $7M/year. Can they afford him and Bobby? Even if they could, does it make sense to have them on longterm deals at the same time?

I don't know; I've never been convinced that spending a lot of money on 4-3 LBs was the most prudent thing, especially if you like to spend on pass-rushers, have an all-time great secondary to pay, and have a QB making $20M+.

Something has to give.

netskier

Reaction score
We saw the defense suffer last year with bobby out, and rebound immediately with his return. If the defense ain't broke, don't fix it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
DavidSeven":f1hfso9f said:
Bobby has always been the biggest question mark for me in terms of a long term deal. I always figured they'd go cheap at LB and then they gave KJ $7M/year. Can they afford him and Bobby? Even if they could, does it make sense to have them on longterm deals at the same time?

I don't know; I've never been convinced that spending a lot of money on 4-3 LBs was the most prudent thing, especially if you like to spend on pass-rushers, have an all-time great secondary to pay, and have a QB making $20M+.

Something has to give.

Yeah I also thought they would go cheap at LB and just replace them with first contract players since they seem to have good success at finding them in the draft. But then you could say the same about the secondary, so I guess that strategy doesn't matter to them.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If the team wants to keep Wagner they will probably keep him.

The team wants to keep him so the deal will get done. All this contract hand wringing is somewhat sill. The team has a plan and the pieces are all falling into place. In the end of course they won't be able to keep everyone but they will keep the players they want to keep and those who want to stay.

The numbers are interesting and could be structured to lower the initial cap hits, but they can afford to do Wagner right now. The focus upon this contract now will become more intense now RW's deal is done. To me it's unfortunate that wagner made that tweet but then again it's a negotiation.

We all need to be patient things will develop the way the FO wants it develop. Both John and Pete know it's important for the team to be strong up the middle. A deal will be made as both Pete and John want Wags to stay here.

At any rate he's under contract for another season, so there's time to massage this deal into place.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I felt that storyline about him saving the defense last year was a bit overstated.

We got gashed by Jamal Charles the first week Mebane was out, Kevin Williams was playing out-of-position at nose, and Malcolm Smith had the worst week of his life (and then got benched for the rest of the season).

Don't get me wrong, I think Bobby is a fantastic MLB and would take him over anyone in our LB group, but I dunno, some of the storylines that people invented about the defense surging after his return were a little much IMO. It was more a matter of Seattle figuring out how to play without Bane and not having to defend a Jamal Charles type RB at 10am.

Tical21

Reaction score
Also, if you remember in 2013, our defense performed vastly better as soon as Wagner got hurt, leading many to talk about how he might be out of place at MLB and we might be better with KJ in the middle. You don't pay 4-3 MLB's unless you really have to, ala the current Panthers or Urlacher's Bears. The fact that Bobby has played so well has put them in a really tight spot, as MLB is about as easy of a position to find as there is in football.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Tical21":3oc1ble3 said:
Also, if you remember in 2013, our defense performed vastly better as soon as Wagner got hurt, leading many to talk about how he might be out of place at MLB and we might be better with KJ in the middle. You don't pay 4-3 MLB's unless you really have to, ala the current Panthers or Urlacher's Bears. The fact that Bobby has played so well has put them in a really tight spot, as MLB is about as easy of a position to find as there is in football.

You may or may not be right-food for thought-on draft night 2012, the Panthers already had one of the top MLB's in football in Jon Beason. Team leader, community leader, fan favorite, 3 X Pro Bowler, even former first team All-Pro! He even signed a large deal and took a team friendly pay cut before being traded. It was a head bangers ball for many Panther draft parties when the Kuechly pick was turned in given the multiple other holes. Many including myself have compared Kuechly to Luck in that both are good, but perhaps nauseatingly overrated. PFF doesn't think so however in large part due to Kuechly's coverage ability. https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... e-kuechly/

I say all that to say this-MLB's can be replaced but the drop off from even a good MLB in Beason to elite MLB in Kuechly was HUGE! It'd be hard for me to see the Hawks letting a talent like Wagner in the center of that D get away for the unknown.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Tical21":3tbpyon0 said:
No, that was the popular thought at the time because someone said it on TV and the parrots carried it.

The reality was that Mebane wasn't playing much at all and we were playing McDonald and his 285 pounds at NT. He was getting destroyed. Wagner wasn't quite at full strength, but while McDonald can get to the QB a little, he was an absolutely horrid NT in that span. His play at NT made Williams play last year look like pro bowl level. You can watch tape on it yourself and even find KJ running the wrong way literally on a run play at times during that span. It was bad...but it started on the DL and trickled down.

Obviosly, the other part of it is that Wagner took his game to another level last year. And MLB is absolutely not that easy to find. Not good ones anyway.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Y'all need to watch Wagner's press conference. His response when asked what his tweet meant was hilarious.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Loved the interview. I think it was Moore who asked the question making it even better.

Exittium

Reaction score
I think a deal will get done.

As for his tweet i didnt read much into it. I mean really i just read it as , training camp starts aka business starts.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
gowazzu02":37252kob said:
You guys just see this tweet? Did his deal just fall apart?

Bobby WagnerVerified account
‏@Bwagz54

Can't keep everyone

edited title by Pmedic920
Please post all "Wagner" contract speculations/ talks here.
Thank you kindly.
Absolutely nothing given training camp just started. Don't worry Bobby will be signed.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
drdevin":1ilcvsc3 said:
No reason to pay your MLB top money. I love WAGZ but repeating the Ruskell years with having most of your LB's earning big salaries is a recipe for disaster. Seahwaks can look at the draft next year and find a good LB and plug him into the middle of the D. This position is not as highly valued and many others. We need to spend our money more wisely IMO.

REALLY? do you recall how bad we were the 5 games he missed against the run?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Ambrose83":3592vd5c said:
drdevin":3592vd5c said:
No reason to pay your MLB top money. I love WAGZ but repeating the Ruskell years with having most of your LB's earning big salaries is a recipe for disaster. Seahwaks can look at the draft next year and find a good LB and plug him into the middle of the D. This position is not as highly valued and many others. We need to spend our money more wisely IMO.

Obviously he doesn't but that's not the acttooual issue. He doesn't understand MLB'S on the level of an Urlacher etc al changed how defense is and was played. He literally stopped the middle deep seam and anything else up the middle which allowed the 46 to work, he was freakishly tall and fast for a MLB. Bobby does much the same for the Seahawks but in a more balanced way.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Wagner is going to get what he was going to get anyway, even if Wilson wasn't re-signed! He will be well paid and there is no way they let him walk. The people who are SOL are the ones like Chancellor and Bennett who signed contracts and think that we suddenly have money left under the salary cap.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":33hp95hk said:
Ambrose83":33hp95hk said:
drdevin":33hp95hk said:

Obviously he doesn't but that's not the acttooual issue. He doesn't understand MLB'S on the level of an Urlacher etc al changed how defense is and was played. He literally stopped the middle deep seam and anything else up the middle which allowed the 46 to work, he was freakishly tall and fast for a MLB. Bobby does much the same for the Seahawks but in a more balanced way.

How is that again? Urlacher thrived in the Tampa 2 which Is considerably different from the 46. I will provide pictures for you.

Tampa 2...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 458

chris98251

Reaction score
What you lose with Wags out is ability to cover, his closing speed and his leadership is getting the defense set. It's his size and speed and coverage, it's not just ability to cover TE's and Backs or POS receivers , it's ground he can cover.

The of course you have his ability to shed blockers which is it's own art form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts