Which position do we upgrade first via draft?

Mad Dog

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":14ei94bk said:
Corner. Griffin is not the answer and an above average corner is a necessity in Pete's D.

And you know Griffin won't get any better for the rest of his career because?

I agree that he wasn't great this year but I saw flashes of talent both this year and last. I'd certainly not write him off because of a sophomore slump.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2j09phrq said:
West TX Hawk":2j09phrq said:
Corner. Griffin is not the answer and an above average corner is a necessity in Pete's D.

I agree that he wasn't great this year but I saw flashes of talent both this year and last. I'd certainly not write him off because of a sophomore slump.

I think Griffin can be a solid #2 corner, but from what we saw this year he's struggled to take over the #1 CB role. So yes, I'd like to see us keep trying to draft an elite game changing corner.......and let Griffin and Flowers battle for the #2.

Your #1 corner needs to make plays, and most importantly take the ball away. So while Griffin plays solid most of the time, he hasn't shown he can be a playmaker.

Seymour

Reaction score
Mad Dog":21nn9mw6 said:
West TX Hawk":21nn9mw6 said:

Not saying yeah or nah to Griffin (not sure myself) but would like to point out flashes of talent does not mean a whole lot at this level. See Tharold Simon the SB 49 goat for more information.

Goat bar hampton nh contact s

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Jville":3rhmxu70 said:
We are in much better shape this year.

I'll roll with John Schneider to build a very selective draft board of 60 - 80 players. Then, I'll roll with John Schneider again to design and execute a most efficient draft. Where different positions are actually addressed, will be a reflection of draft talent and an expression of John's efficiency.

We are in good hands.
to be fair his picks haven't really panned out the past few years lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3k11e99v said:
Jville":3k11e99v said:

I'll roll with John Schneider to build a very selective draft board of 60 - 80 players. Then, I'll roll with John Schneider again to design and execute a most efficient draft. Where different positions are actually addressed, will be a reflection of draft talent and an expression of John's efficiency.

We are in good hands.

2017:
Carson - starter/offensive identity
Pocic - starter/backup
Griffin - starter
Hill - starter/backup
Thompson - starter
Jones - backup
Moore - starter

2018:
Penny - starter
Dickson - All Pro
Green - starter/backup
Dissly - starter before injured
Griffin - special teams/backup
Martin-starter/backup
Jones - good backup until injured

Yes 2014-2016 were some pretty weak drafts, but IMO we're back on track to drafting the next wave of young good to great players.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":124wb8u1 said:
His picks haven't panned out the last couple of years??? :34853_doh:

Easy sport. Don't throw the baby out with the bong water. :lol: :lol:

chris98251

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":7mz5h9k1 said:
His picks haven't panned out the last couple of years??? :34853_doh:

1st rounder's should become starters, 2nd rounder's starter or big contributor eventually starter, 3rd rounder's contributors, after that guys that play special teams and fill nitch rolls is how many GM's look at things or scouts and grade them that way. Problem is they don't see them from the eyes of a Coach and their systems and players slip thru that can make a difference. That has been where John and Pete has excelled.

Chawker

Reaction score
Its two pisition actually, but here we go. DL Isaiah Buggs DT/DE 6'5" 290 Ala. Strong enough to play at nose tackle. And ending this year with 10 sacks. He played DE but can move inside with ease. Buggs could be one of our guys. :2thumbs:

naholmes

Reaction score
Obviously DL is in play but I believe a free safety to replace ET will be strongly considered. Nasir Adderley, Delaware would be a great addition to the secondary.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
With these coordinators? We could bring in Deacon Jones and Johnny Unitas and still not get past the divisional.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bxawh7t said:
dopeboy206":2bxawh7t said:
Jville":2bxawh7t said:

We are in good hands.

2017:
Carson - starter/offensive identity
Pocic - starter/backup
Griffin - starter
Hill - starter/backup
Thompson - starter
Jones - backup
Moore - starter

2018:
Penny - starter
Dickson - All Pro
Green - starter/backup
Dissly - starter before injured
Griffin - special teams/backup
Martin-starter/backup
Jones - good backup until injured

Yes 2014-2016 were some pretty weak drafts, but IMO we're back on track to drafting the next wave of young good to great players.

2018:
You forgot Flowers - Starter

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Pass rush, an outside corner with collegiate success in press and man coverage, and at least two big bodied WRs. For as much as everyone is talking about how deep this draft is for defensive linemen, it's especially deep at WR, especially big bodied WRs with alpha potential. I'd love to see them come away with Arcega-Whiteside. He reminds me A LOT of Mike Evans. I'm also extremely high on Jazz Ferguson. I heard Puckett (I think it was him) on 950 last week raving about Ferguson and how he'd like to see him here. It was cool to finally hear someone else locally mention him with Seattle.

But with the Clark trade, I'd say pass rush is above and beyond the biggest need now.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Chawker":290qfrc9 said:
Its two pisition actually, but here we go. DL Isaiah Buggs DT/DE 6'5" 290 Ala. Strong enough to play at nose tackle. And ending this year with 10 sacks. He played DE but can move inside with ease. Buggs could be one of our guys. :2thumbs:

I second this.

Seahawker

Reaction score
By now we all know that John & Pete do not run a conventional draft, they value some players differently and they trade down for more picks. They are the riverboat gamblers but this time they won't have much money at the table. I've seen them drop & pass on good players many times, with #21 & 29 I'd like to see them hang tight (maybe one small trade down) and get the goods while its there. With just 5 picks, I'd like us to come away with 2-3 solid picks to help us in 19' & let 2020 be the transforming year of cap room and draft picks. Positionally, Dline/SS/CB, like to see an OT with D. Brown not getting younger & G. Ifedi soon to be very expensive for his talent level. Sure Fant/Jones but drafting a versatile O lineman wouldn't hurt. Going to be interesting to see where WSU OT Andre Dillard goes.

vonstout

Reaction score
This draft supposedly has 10 OLinemen that have first round talent and tremendous depth on the d line. Next years draft is supposed to be weak for OL. I doubt we keep both first rounders, but I think we should go OL first and edge rusher second. I honestly wouldn’t mind taking 2 O linemen in the first if we keep them both, but our history of 1st round linemen hasn’t been very good.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'd be okay if the Hawks used the majority of their picks this year on the defensive side of the ball. Super deep draft on that side, and our d feels mediocre at best lately.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Pass rush becomes a huge need after trading Clark. First position should be focused on defensive end. Sweat, Burns, or Ferrell makes sense.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sweat has too many flags, Health issues like Heart situations are not something you want around, they tend to get worse when you add weight and age.