Seahawks 2024 mock draft March 24th

Chevy

Reaction score
In this draft JS trades down in the 1st round with Bills. Seahawks trade #16 to Bills for 1st round #28, 2nd round #60, and 5th round #163.

I know some want to stay at #16 and take best available, but JS has a history of trading down in the 1st round and he probably wants to recoup a draft pick or two. JS has said lately that OG get overdrafted so I have him passing on interior lineman in the first couple rounds. He has also said he wants best player available, but also takes into account needs and will trade down if the BPA doesn't fit a need. He had also mentioned that in the 6th and 7th rounds he will draft for needs.

1st round #28 (from Bills) - (DT/DE) Braden Fiske 6'5" 297 lbs, Florida State: Fiske is a player I have liked for awhile and had him as a possible 1st round prospect months ago. The draft community now has Fiske as a 1st round to high 2nd round prospect. The Seahawks have been linked to Fiske, so its reasonable to assume they have him as a 1st round prospect as well. Fiske is a consistently disruptive player, whos motor never quits.

2nd round #60 (from Bills) - (WR) Brenden Rice 6'3" 210 lbs, USC: JS goes BPA here with Rice. This may very well be Tyler Lockett's last year with the Seahawks and Rice would be a hedge if/when that happens. The 2nd round is a WR gold mine! Rice may go higher than this, but if he is here then it could prove to be a steal. He has great hands, sneaky athleticism on the field, good at contested catches. Dk, JSN, and Rice would give the Seahawks and QB one of the youngest most talented WR core in the NFL. Oh, he is the son of the greatest WR ever to play in the NFL, Jerry Rice.

3rd round #81 - (OG) Zac Zinter 6'6" 322 lbs, Michigan: Zinteris coming off an injury and hasn't tested, so that is why I think he slips this far. BPA and need align for the Seahawks with this pick. Zinter has a lot of starting expeirence, team captain, and was a 1st team All-American this year.

4th round #102 - (S) Kitan Oladapo 6'1" 217 lbs, Oregon State: Oladapo has size, speed, and was a leader on his team. I think BPA and need are perfect for the Seahawks taking Oladapo at this point of the draft. Let him compete for a starting role this year.

4th round #118 - (OG/OT) Brandon Coleman 6'4" 313 lbs, TCU: JS doubles down on the interior of the offensive line. It's a great draft to get the interior shored up, and Coleman is a good get at this point of the draft. Coleman tested near the top of all the offensive lineman in explosive testing numbers. He has good arm length for his size (34 5/8 inches). Coleman played LT as well as some LG and was a team captain this year.

5th round #163 (from Bills) - (ILB) Edefuan Ulofoshio 6'0" 236 lbs, Washington: Ulo would be quality depth for the Seahawks at ILB that may prove to be a good starter in the near future. He stood out to me when I would watch Washington and he had a surprisingly good combine. He is a late round ILB that I really like for the Seahawks.

6th round #179 - (DT/DE) Zion Logue 6'5" 314 lbs, Georgia: Zion is a big man with good length. He fills a need at DT/DE depth. He has some upside to him, so his best ball may be in front of him.

6th round #192 - (TE) Devin Culp 6'3" 235 lbs, Washington: Culp is an athletic TE, who fills a need. He is quick, has good speed, and good agility. He has good run after the catch ability. Culp has great upside, and can find a role as a rookie.

7th round #235 - (OT) Tylan Grable 6'6" 306 lbs, UCF: Grable is an athletic project at OT, and he fills a need at OT for the Seahawks. Grable ran a sub 5.0 40-yard dash, with a 1.69 10 yard split, a 36.5 inch vertical, and a 9'9" broad jump!!! He was top-2 of the offensive lineman when it came to the explosive testing results...10-yard split, vertical, and broad jump.

Chawker

Reaction score
Chevy, Now pick up the phone and phone this into John. You've a great mock here great job and you've select a awesome group of players.

Two thumbs up and Chawker aprooved !

Cheers

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I like it.

I'm not sold on Rice though and I think Tevin Wallace is someone I must have either in round 2 or 3.

I like Oladapo but I am starting to really love Dominique Hampton.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I like it.

I'm not sold on Rice though and I think Tevin Wallace is someone I must have either in round 2 or 3.

I like Oladapo but I am starting to really love Dominique Hampton.

Rice for me is a better much better prospect than Wallace. So if JS drafts for this year's need, then I could see him taking Wallace or a few other ILBs in the 2nd round over Rice. But if JS sticks to BPA then its Rice over Wallace for sure.

I like Hampton, but not until low round 5 or later. He is more of a hard hitting safety. But Oladapo is much better in coverage than Hampton. Hampton is more special teams player and good depth player at safety.

Last edited:

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Rice for me is the better prospect than Wallace. So if JS drafts for this year's need, then I could see him taking Wallace over Rice if both were available later in the 2nd round. But if he sticks to BPA then its Rice over Wallace.

I like Hampton, but not until low round 5 or later. He is more of a hard hitting safety. But Oladapo is much better in coverage than Hampton. Hampton is more special teams player and good depth player at safety.

I think it's fair to say that about Wallace because he's probably a 3rd round talent. I'm just not sure Rice is the right player in that 2nd round. In my opinion there are better WRs that can do similar things to Rice. Keon Coleman, Ja'Lynn Polk are two bigger possession type. But for me, I want a flanker with some juice. Rice is more of an X type of receiver.

I like both Hampton and Oladapo. I haven't fully watched Oladapo though so that's why I love Hampton over Oladapo.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
That's a fair take on your WR's thoughts for the Seahawks. We all rank the WRs differently so I won't push back too much.

Maybe I watched too many U of Washington games to love Hampton. i like him a lot in run defense, not so much in coverage.

SPOHAWK

Reaction score
Luke Mc Caffrey is the better WR/RB...just because of his versatility...other than that nice mock.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
That's a fair take on your WR's thoughts for the Seahawks. We all rank the WRs differently so I won't push back too much.

Maybe I watched too many U of Washington games to love Hampton. i like him a lot in run defense, not so much in coverage.

I still really like DeJean in the first round or 2nd round to be honest. I rather have him over both players.

Rat

Reaction score
In this draft JS trades down in the 1st round with Bills. Seahawks trade #16 to Bills for 1st round #28, 2nd round #60, and 5th round #163.

I know some want to stay at #16 and take best available, but JS has a history of trading down in the 1st round
This "history" is way overstated. He has never once traded down with a pick in the top half of the first round:

2010: Russell Okung (6th)
2010: Earl Thomas (14th)
2012: Bruce Irvin (15th)
2022: Charles Cross (9th)
2023: Devon Witherspoon (5th)

Jaxon Smith-Njigba (20th), James Carpenter (25th), and Jordyn Brooks (26th) were all our original picks too. In fact, the only time we did trade down with a top 20 pick was in 2018, where the Packers traded up to our original spot of 18th for two-time All-Pro Jaire Alexander, while we moved down to 29th for Rashaad "11 carries last season" Penny.

If we move down from 16th, it'll be the highest pick he has ever traded down from. I think they just have a list of players they have first-round grades on, and if they're all gone, they move down. I don't think it's trading down for the sake of trading down.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
This "history" is way overstated. He has never once traded down with a pick in the top half of the first round:

2010: Earl Thomas (14)

Jaxon Smith-Njigba (20th), James Carpenter (25th), and Jordyn Brooks (26th) were all our original picks too. In fact, the only time we did trade down with a top 20 pick was in 2018, where the Packers traded up to our original spot of 18th for two-time All-Pro Jaire Alexander, while we moved down to 29th for Rashaad "11 carries last season" Penny.

If we move down from 16th, it'll be the highest pick he has ever traded down from.

JS traded the 12th pick to the 15th in 2012 but I get your point though.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
I still really like DeJean in the first round or 2nd round to be honest. I rather have him over both players.

For me DeJean is one of the most overrated prospects in the draft. I think he is a similar prospect to for U of Washington safety Taylor Rapp. DeJean doesn't look like a great athlete on film, which is why I suspect he conveniently can't test. I wouldn't take him until maybe round 4.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
For me DeJean is one of the most overrated prospects in the draft. I think he is a similar prospect to for U of Washington safety Taylor Rapp. DeJean doesn't look like a great athlete on film, which is why I suspect he conveniently can't test. I wouldn't take him until maybe round 4.
DeJean broke his leg at the end of the year so that's why he hasn't done any testing. I would say though...I don't like him as a full-time CB because he has tight hips. I do really like him as a safety though. Particularly closer to the L.O.S. So he's a bit overrated as a CB but he needs to find the right home. I think Mac would love him.

I agree that he hasn't shown great fluidity in coverage at times but dude's an athlete. Just put the ball in his hands. Not seeing that Rapp comparison. Rapp ran the 40 in the 4.7s. I never saw Rapp move like DeJean. I never saw Rapp jump routes like DeJean.

I recognize that not all will see the point of Cooper DeJean but I see a unique player.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score

2010: Earl Thomas (14th)

If we move down from 16th, it'll be the highest pick he has ever traded down from. I think they just have a list of players they have first-round grades on, and if they're all gone, they move down. I don't think it's trading down for the sake of trading down.

Its not "way overstated". JS has traded a lot of his 1st round picks. JS 1st round history he has traded down or traded for a player in 8 of his 14 drafts. He traded down from #12 in 2012 and from #18 in 2018.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
DeJean broke his leg at the end of the year so that's why he hasn't done any testing. I would say though...I don't like him as a full-time CB because he has tight hips. I do really like him as a safety though. Particularly closer to the L.O.S. So he's a bit overrated as a CB but he needs to find the right home. I think Mac would love him.

I agree that he hasn't shown great fluidity in coverage at times but dude's an athlete. Just put the ball in his hands. Not seeing that Rapp comparison. Rapp ran the 40 in the 4.7s. I never saw Rapp move like DeJean. I never saw Rapp jump routes like DeJean.

I recognize that not all will see the point of Cooper DeJean but I see a unique player.
If a 1st round safety doesn't have the fluidity, then bad fit a FS. He also doesn't have the size or length for SS. Putting the ball in his hands argument can be made for a WR,TE,or RB, not for a defensive player.

DeJean seems to be a player most don't agree with as a prospect. So I'm fine if you love him as a prospect, just agree to disagree on him.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
If a 1st round safety doesn't have the fluidity, then bad fit a FS. He also doesn't have the size or length for SS. Putting the ball in his hands argument can be made for a WR,TE,or RB, not for a defensive player.

DeJean seems to be a player most don't agree with as a prospect. So I'm fine if you love him as a prospect, just agree to disagree on him.

Yeah. I totally recognize that. I'm just going off what I see and what I think he can become. He doesn't have the hips for an outside CB but I think if you find the right role for him then he'll be a star. The instincts are that good. Most safeties have bad hips and are stiff compared to CBs anyways. DeJean's fluidity is fine. It's just not elite for a CB.

This is why draft season is a curse and a blessing. It's fun to debate players. I don't have many hills most years but I died on the Witherspoon hill last season because I was convinced he was a dude. DeJean's tape is not as dynamic but I'm dying on the DeJean hill this year. Could be right or wrong. We'll see. These discussions are a lot of fun.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
my favorite draft dude on here is Chevy. Love your stuff. Surprise you mocked Ulofoshio. Thought he would be a UDFA. Was his combine that good?

chris98251

Reaction score
Liked the Draft, Jerry's Kid better not ask for 80 if he is picked though, saying that I doubt anyone will work harder if this kid picked up Jerry's work out routine, he and Walter Payton both had routines that few other players could do and sustain.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Great stuff!

I'm preparing myself, just in case, for several trade downs. It wouldn't surprise me if John is comfortable not picking until well into the second or even later, if it means picking up a 2025 first and volume in the third round this year.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I normally wouldn't consider X receiver a need, but Grubb certainly wasn't beholden to archetypes last year.

Odunze was the prototypical X but still took 150 snaps in the slot. Westover played all over (50% inline/35% slot/12% wide/3% backfield). Bernard and Polk basically rotated positions (60:40 vs. 40:60 slot/wide respectively).

I suspect we'll see packages this year with Bobo as the X and DK in the slot.